Reg... need your electronic expertise

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Reg,

I hope you see this post, can you explain these mods and what's your opinion of them. I'm interested in the FET MOD, and possible the REGULATED POWER MOD. What do you think of the SEARCH COIL MOD? You can PM me if you would rather, or post the answer on whatever forum you want. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help!!!

SEARCH COIL MOD: $142.00

I do Shielded search-coil modifications for nearly all metal detectors, removing virtually all of the noise on the input end. This shielding process increases both the selectivity and the sensitivity of your detector and it's just like having a new Minelab... Without having to spend several thousand bucks to do it.

CUSTOM SEARCH COIL MOD: $354.00

I wind a custom shielded search coil to your specifications. Want a 5" Round Noisless Mono on your SD-2200 ??? .... No Problem !!!

I do a number of other driver and processing-end Mod's but the two most popular and useful are:

THE FET MOD: $108.00

The coil driver FET transistors on the SD's tend to run Hot... I replace them with low-RDS FET's and a heat-sink.... It conserves battery power, just about doubles the battery life and gives you a couple of extra hours of use before recharging. It also pumps more energy into the coil instead of turning it into heat in the transistors.

REGULATED POWER MOD: $282.00

This one can't be done without the Fet mod because the original Fet's will go Nuclear in about ten minutes.

The SD's become incredibly stable and a lot more efficient if you increase and regulate the power supply voltage a bit: Bump it up to about 8 Volts with an added heat-sink... That's accomplished with an adjustable 5-Amp voltage regulator circuit add-on. The regulator reduces noise, removes cross-talk between the Audio and receive circuits and prevents the power sag that happens when you jack up the audio volume. In combination with the FET mod, it also supplies more current to the coil and improves both the performance and the stability of the oscillators.

Custom Nickel-Metal-Hydride Battery Pack: $212.00

I do a Rechargeable, Belt-Carried, NiMH extended-capacity power supply designed to run your detector all day on a single charge. Everyone is trying to sell us on Lithium batteries, and I can tell you from experience that they are a lot more trouble than they're worth.

There are a couple of additional Variable Frequency Oscillator and Mode select mods that you can also do.

• Admin

Hey Goldstudmuffin,

Interesting to hear this guy is here in Phoenix, Arizona doing the Minelab mods. Makes me wonder if it was the guy that done all the Minelab repairs back in the day when the Minelab US Distributor was in Tempe, Arizona ... :closedeyes:

Congrats to hear your guys found some nuggets with the new Coiltek Goldstalker coils that were missed by prior coils.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Guest goldstudmuffin

Reg, thanks for the pm explaining some of these mods.

Rob, you could be right about that guy, he used to work at a TV repair shop next to Arizona Gold and Treasure in Tempe.

Ron, I haven't tried to contact the guy yet, I'm waiting for some other guinea pig to try him first! Here's the link I accidentally found by searching "minelab" in the electronic section of phoenix craigs list.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/860270389.html

• Admin

Hello Russ,

First I believe it's your Birthday, Happy Birthday to You! :spank: This could very well be the guy that ran that TV repair shop in Tempe. I can't remember his name right off hand, but talked with him many times when he done Minelab VLF gold repairs.

I believe Reg is conducting a field test along with a couple others guys on the 24K Gold Claims Tuesday or Wednesday. I heard they are going to do a shootout, Minelab vs. White's or something along those lines.

I conducted the Metal Detecting Seminar this weekend on the 24K Gold Hunters Claims and there was a decent turnout and sold a bunch of stuff. Elly asked me to set up another display booth this coming weekend with a much bigger turnout.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison