Hi Rob and everyone, more VLF

I don't say much on this forum since it is mostly detecting and mostly Minelab, but I do check your forum daily. I must say congrats to you and Dawn and the little one on the way. I enjoy all the input here and the photos and videos, keep it up guys. Cold as hell here lately, those nuggets over by McGrath have frozen at 50 below.

At the end of the season, in mid October, I decided to detect a bit on my claims hopefully to find at least one nugget. I just didn't want to go all summer without beeping a piece of gold, had put my dredge away for the winter. I had a couple spots I wanted to check with the detector, but had to remove some material to get closer to bedrock. I did find gold, every beep there was gold, 6 little pieces(can't call them all nuggets, smallest was .2 grains) I went downstream a bit and found about 10 trash targets and one nugget, so back to the first spot, seven more pieces of gold, no trash, hmmm this is fun. I'm going to try post in a pic if I remember how, Bob(AK)

002.jpg

The man who runs the forum might be a Minelab user and Authorized Dealer, but I have received good advice about my Whites and Garret detectors. (and have not been Flamed for it either :D)

Don't be a stranger because of Minelab ;)

Nathan.

P.S. I am always interested in hearing stories/experience/tips from other VLF detector users. Many people use PI's and there are marked similarities and Very marked differences :)

I too am curious to know what beeper you were swinging for your poke. Very nice gold btw.

Sorry guys, I use a GMT. When I am beside the creek like I was in this spot, I beep a couple nuggets, put the couple handfulls of material into a pan and pan it. You have your gold real quickly that way.

Don't get me wrong Nathan, I'm not worried about Minelabs or Rob, Rob is a great guy. No plans for Moore Creek or Ganes as of yet. I didn't go to either in '08 so I may have to this year.

So you like dredged gold, here is my best weekend last summer, Bob(AK)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/AKA...pg?t=1231826477

Hi Guys,

That the modified GMT you are using Bob? A real one of a kind!

Just to let you guys know the area where Bob detects is very low mineral, smallish gold (although pennyweighters do exist) and iron trash can be a problem. So bottom line is a hot VLF with good iron disc like the GMT is a good way to go. Bob was kind enough to let me detect his ground a year ago with my GPX-4000 and a Platypus coil and I did find a couple dwt of nice chunky stuff. But in general a VLF is a better choice for his location.

Steve Herschbach

Hey Bob,

Glad to see that your claim is still producing some nice nuggets, wish I could say the same. Keep up the good work and maybe we can catch up with each other this summer.

Keith

You are right Steve, same old GMT mod, works good. Hi Keith, yes hope to see you in June. Bob(AK)

Bob – what type of modifications have been done to your GMT? I just bought one a few months back and anything that I can do to make it find more gold would be very useful to know.

Hi Casey,

Bob has a GMT I converted years ago to chest or hip mount. See the story and photos at http://www.recminer.com/guides/whites_gold...gmt_rebuild.htm

Can't say it finds gold any better, but for working long hours it keeps the weight off your arm, and in pouring down rain it is easier to protect the control box.

I got a new GMT recently and am going to do a chest mount conversion on it also. But this time I'll leave the pod on the rod and run a second cable for the pod/trigger electronics.

Steve Herschbach

Casey, I can't add much to Steve's reply. It is very light, like walking around with just a stick in your hand. It is more of a hassle when it is time to set it down and dig a target.

Gaine, I don't know why you want to see snow. I don't think most of these warm weather people care to see it, Bob

P1010033.jpg