Ostrich Patch Golden Day

Well headed out this morning to feed my wife's Uncle's cattle, them big birds and dog! I'm trying not to hunt this patch to heavy, but it's hard to stay away to long...NuggetSlayer couldn't make it this morning, so I had to feed them birds...he really enjoys it, I don't because you need two set of eye's watching them so they don't kick or peck your hat off your head, they all want feed at the sametime.

Any ways it was a great day both weather and gold wise...I have to repeat the feeding in the morning and I'll try to leave my detector at home...I don't know if I can!!!

Wrong date on picture, Kids in school...but I can run my detector!

LuckyLundy

15Jan09CoilTotal.jpg

15Jan09VetDigTotalWt.jpg

NuggetSlayer,

Your spot wasn't touched, Big Bird kept me off of it! I think he misses you or your lunch!!!

LuckyLundy

Thanks I remember my big day at the bird patch I don't know but I hope I can top this one nice gold Rick see ya Saturday

Tony I still haven't got my new one yet the search still continues I have only bought the one 10" for sniping this spring.

102_0148.jpg

• Admin

Hey Lucky,

No doubt you're kicking butt out there at that patch. Just goes to show there is still a lot of gold to be found by metal detectors. Being in the right locations is probably one of the biggest factors, but having experience and knowing your equipment helps a bunch also.

Hey Nathan, you stated "Unbelieveable for one day." Like I always told you, being in the right spot. An ounce a day metal detecting is not common, but it happens a lot. I couldn't count how many ounce plus days I've had along with others I know.

For example, lets say a virgin patch has 7 ounces of gold within detector range, and another 2 ounces below what a detector can find. The first day you zig zag through this location and pick up 1-2 ounces, which is very possible. You come back the next morning and really grid the spot out (depending on the size) and find another 1-2 ounces of gold. You continue to come back and crawl across this new patch and find anwhere from .25 - 1 ounces for the next couple of days.

One of my best "old patches" I found was where some old guys were working with older detectors. I went into the spot and picked over 8-9 nuggets the first hour, all of them were 2-3 Dwt's in size. I knew I was in a good, old patch, so I went back down the hill and starting gridding very slowly. I probably had about an ounce, maybe a just under or over, but knew there was more to be found deeper. I probably hunted for about 30 minutes or so before I heard the first really faint target, which ended up being a 1.25 ouncer. :wacko: I had to sit and admire the nugget for a bit, then started hunting again. Not within probably a few feet, I heard another faint one. This one was a beautiful 3/4 ouncer with just a tad of quartz on one side. At this point in time, only a few hours in an old patch I had 3+ ounces of nice solid nugget gold. There is much more to the story, but this patch produced about 40 ounces of gold out of an old patch. No telling what was originally found here near the surface. :ph34r:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey Lucky,

No doubt you're kicking butt out there at that patch. Just goes to show there is still a lot of gold to be found by metal detectors. Being in the right locations is probably one of the biggest factors, but having experience and knowing your equipment helps a bunch also.

Hey Nathan, you stated "Unbelieveable for one day." Like I always told you, being in the right spot. An ounce a day metal detecting is not common, but it happens a lot. I couldn't count how many ounce plus days I've had along with others I know.

For example, lets say a virgin patch has 7 ounces of gold within detector range, and another 2 ounces below what a detector can find. The first day you zig zag through this location and pick up 1-2 ounces, which is very possible. You come back the next morning and really grid the spot out (depending on the size) and find another 1-2 ounces of gold. You continue to come back and crawl across this new patch and find anwhere from .25 - 1 ounces for the next couple of days.

One of my best "old patches" I found was where some old guys were working with older detectors. I went into the spot and picked over 8-9 nuggets the first hour, all of them were 2-3 Dwt's in size. I knew I was in a good, old patch, so I went back down the hill and starting gridding very slowly. I probably had about an ounce, maybe a just under or over, but knew there was more to be found deeper. I probably hunted for about 30 minutes or so before I heard the first really faint target, which ended up being a 1.25 ouncer. :wacko: I had to sit and admire the nugget for a bit, then started hunting again. Not within probably a few feet, I heard another faint one. This one was a beautiful 3/4 ouncer with just a tad of quartz on one side. At this point in time, only a few hours in an old patch I had 3+ ounces of nice solid nugget gold. There is much more to the story, but this patch produced about 40 ounces of gold out of an old patch. No telling what was originally found here near the surface. :ph34r:

Take care,

Rob Allison

You can bet your tail feather I'll be detecting and researching waiting for my day.

I understand my detector and feel pretty confident with what it tells me, especially after that piece of lead I pulled up from 6-7 inches while out on Rich Hill with you for my field training after I bought my Eureka. I was almost upset it wasn't gold, but glad to know I could find such a tiny piece that deep. <and it seems lead and gold signal very similarly>

Thanks again for those field lessons, I learned a lot.

Nathan.