Another Ambitious Prospecting Plan

Ken and I have recuperated from our Yuma mountain sheep prospecting ordeal and have devised a new and perhaps overly ambitious plan. With the help of a fellow prospector, we have come up with an area with few roads and rugged hills that produced some placer gold in the past. We have decided to backpack in to the most remote section for a 2 day exploration. We are limited to 2 days because of 2 major obstacles. Water and batteries. At 8lbs a gallon, basic backpacking gear and prospecting gear, a packs adds up quick. I put my pack together last night. With 2 gallons of water and minimal camping gear it comes in at about 45 lbs. I was forced to buy yuppie freeze dried backpacking meals because of the space and weight considerations. Unfortunately, they haven't invented freeze dried beer or wine. Reminds me of W.C. Fields dreadful experience. Stranded in the wilderness, he was forced to live on food and water for several days. I did manage to include a small container of red wine for medicinal purposes. I might get sticker in my finger or something and need some analgesic.

So we're off tomorrow morning return late Wed. Wish us luck. Should be an interesting yarn when we return.

SDF,

I've done a lot of backpacking (before I started prospecting) and I have a water filter that filters down to .2 (thats Point 2 :D ) microns. Filters out giardia and cryptosporidum. It is made by MSR. You might look into it...It as around 75 dollers and it is a NICE piece of equipment.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/miniworks.asp

There is the link to MSR's page. I have used it for many years (hundreds of gallons of filtered water worth) and I have never had trouble with it.

It weighs 16 ounces and connects directly to Nalgene 32oz water bottles.

Using it in snow runoff or clear water creeks keeps the filter in better condition for a LONG time and when it gets cloged or starts performing a bit slow, you scrape the outside of the filter off with a scotch brite pad and its brand new (it has a gage to measure the filter after each scraping)

I love it.

Nathan.

SDF,

I've done a lot of backpacking (before I started prospecting) and I have a water filter that filters down to .2 (thats Point 2 :D ) microns. Filters out giardia and cryptosporidum. It is made by MSR. You might look into it...It as around 75 dollers and it is a NICE piece of equipment.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/miniworks.asp

There is the link to MSR's page. I have used it for many years (hundreds of gallons of filtered water worth) and I have never had trouble with it.

It weighs 16 ounces and connects directly to Nalgene 32oz water bottles.

Nathan.

I have an early model MSR (10 yrs) and have been very happy with it. Change the ceramic filter every other year and it's been great. Unfortunatly, we'll be in a nasty part of the desert where just ain't no water to filter from. Huge problem for extended trips.

I have an early model MSR (10 yrs) and have been very happy with it. Change the ceramic filter every other year and it's been great. Unfortunatly, we'll be in a nasty part of the desert where just ain't no water to filter from. Huge problem for extended trips.

I can understand that. Just thought I'd throw that out there, I have met many who are not familiar with todays water filtration/purification technologies and I like my unit :D

Nathan.

I can understand that. Just thought I'd throw that out there, I have met many who are not familiar with todays water filtration/purification technologies and I like my unit :D

Nathan.

I know what you mean. I've learned the hard way. When I was a kid hunting deer in the desert, I've outwalked my water supply more than a few times. Strained algae and mosquito larvae through a bandana for a drink of water and damn glad to have it. Lucky I didn't get one of those nasty parasites.

Hi SDF,

Freeze dried meals suck. Replace them with MRE's. That will eliminate cooking gear. Foods like Granola bars, Trail Mix, dried and fresh fruit, bagels, cheese, summer sausage don't require much clean up and are fast and easy to fix. The whole idea is to just use the water for washing your face and brushing teeth. Oh you can drink it if you have too.

Alternative

Drinking a 40 oz Fosters is just like a meal. So 6 to 8 cans pre day. Add a 5th of Jack and you wont need the sleeping bag, air mattress or tent ....... leaving even more room for beer and Jack! Just don't let the bottles and cans clink together and break, thats how I got kicked out of boy scouts. Backpacking is so much fun!

Chucker in a canyon near Lovelock NV (found it on google earth)

post-573-1232320193_thumb.jpg

Hi SDF,

Freeze dried meals suck. Replace them with MRE's. That will eliminate cooking gear. Foods like Granola bars, Trail Mix, dried and fresh fruit, bagels, cheese, summer sausage don't require much clean up and are fast and easy to fix. The whole idea is to just use the water for washing your face and brushing teeth. Oh you can drink it if you have too.

Alternative

Drinking a 40 oz Fosters is just like a meal. So 6 to 8 cans pre day. Add a 5th of Jack and you wont need the sleeping bag, air mattress or tent ....... leaving even more room for beer and Jack! Just don't let the bottles and cans clink together and break, thats how I got kicked out of boy scouts. Backpacking is so much fun!

You got those nutritional guidelines just about correct. You probably got out of scouting just in time, might've got liquored up and the scoutmaster be showing you a little "stoop frog".

Hi SDF,

Alternative

Hi nvchris I about blew the coffee out of my nose when I read your post, good one. :lol: and I agree, go with the MRE's and leave the freeze dried bird food at home. Take care AzNuggetBob

One thing some long distance hikers (myself included) use is caching. Assuming you have a GPS and are coming back out somewhat similar to the way you go in. I would take multiple 1 liter water bottles instead of gallons and bury them or hide them under some rocks etc and mark on the GPS as you head in. That way the only really heavy load you are carrying is for the first stretch and then you lighten considerably each leg.

....as for dehydrated wine/beer...a nice big flask full of whiskey always cures what ales me!