Moore Creek 2009

Hi,

It is obvious at this point that the current uncertainty regarding our economy is causing people to delay their decision on booking a visit to Moore Creek in 2009. This despite continuing strong gold prices and decreasing travel costs.

For our planning purposes it is important to us to know as early as possible how many people are going to visit and how long our season may need to be. We have therefore decided to offer a discount for a limited time to those who will commit now. This special pricing has been retroactively applied to anyone that has already booked their 2009 adventure.

The early booking rate will be $1995 per week and will apply to anyone who has a non-refundable deposit of $800 to us by February 15th. This is a savings of $505 off the regular $2500 per week fee.

The D9 bulldozer was repaired late last fall and the JD450 is running as well. Full Metal is currently not planning on being at Moore Creek until July so there will be less chance of equipment issues arising.

Currently we only have 19 openings availble in two weeks in mid-June. If these two weeks fill we may add a third week. I can't promise that, however, and so for now the 19 remaining slots are all that can be counted on. You can get details and check the latest availability online at the Moore Creek website.

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

www.moorecreek.com

Hi Rob,

Short answer is tent camp, same as last year. Only major upgrade anticipated at this time is to install a 120V water pump and pressure tank to replace the 12V system. We had too many problems with the shower, etc. last summer. Now that I have the big generator we can fix that.

After three years the state is finally moving on my lease application. With any luck we may be able to start developing a new camp this summer. The camp we built last summer is authorized under a hardrock exploration permit and cannot at this time be used to host visitors. Full Metal is still planning on using that camp this summer. They currently say they won't need it until July, but they could change that at any time. But the real problem is permitting.

People's minds would boggle if they knew all the behind the scenes permitting issues I deal with to make Moore Creek happen. Certain aspects of mining versus "not mining" use of structures on state land are almost impossible to reconcile. The concept of dual use structures is alien to the state and what is easily done for mining is extremely difficult if not impossible to get done for other uses. The key is getting the lease.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Wes,

Alaska is very mining friendly. You can do most anything... as long as you have that permit. If mining friendly means no permits, there is no such place in the United States.

My problem is that Moore Creek is both a mine and a tourism operation. The two are deemed totally different businesses. Every permit I have for mining cannot be used to host paying visitors. So while I have authorization to use my cabins to support mining operations I have no authorization to use them in support of a "pay-to-mine" operation.

I deal with one State office for all my mining permitting, and a different one for the "pay-to-mine" operation. The requirements for establishing a hunting camp, or fishing camp, or in this case, a mining camp on state land are far more burdensome than what I face for mining. I pay far more money in fees and permits to host visitors than I do to engage in mining operations. Most mining permits are free. Every permit for hosting visitors has a fee.

I'll have to make a list of our permits and post someday. I could use one anyway to post on my wall as a reminder.

Steve Herschbach