My New Gold Digger!!!

I'm so proud of my new pick I named it "NuggetSlayer" after my prospecting buddy Jeff and his custom design. As many of you may know, my old trusty pick's handle split on me last weekend and I duct tape it to get me by. NuggetSlayer, made his self a pick a couple months back and we've talk about what we'd like in a good pick for the next model. I'm a pretty big guy and can handle a little heavier digging tool. My wood handle on my old pick was smallish and I wanted a thicker hickory to fit my hand and my blade was a little small and the pointy end wasn't long enough or pointy enough. NuggetSlayer called me and said, I'm cutting you a new pick head right now and told me about it. Perfect I said, he had the larger hickory handle for me, but after babying the pick this week in the field, I told him I want it bulletproof. Put a metal handle on it that a Mack Truck could run over it. Later the evening, Jeff stopped bye the house and handed me my custom pick the "NuggetSlayer". I will tape the handle with baseball bat tape so on them cold morning it won't give me frostbite!

Thanks, Jeff

GoldPick001.jpg

GoldPick002.jpg

GoldPick003.jpg

Yes you better tape the handle and pad it. There is a reason why handles are made of wood and fiberglass, to help absorb shock, and to cushsion your hand and insulate it against the transferred vibrations of impact. You can end up doing serious damage to your hand over time.

I also agree that with all that metal you may have found your last nugget. Your detector will probably "see" that pick. If it treats it as a "constant" like ground mineralization, and balances it out, you will lose significant sensitivity.

You know your detector will sound off even when you have metal eyes in your boots, well a big metal handle? Perhaps you should have put it on a rope so you can drag it behind you.

The head is perfect, it will do the job for sure, but you might want to reconsider that good hickory handle. I've made and had made over 2000 picks over the years, never one with a metal handle.

Good Luck, and Be Careful Out There,

Doc

OK, Gents...I know what metal does to a metal detector and of course shock absorb from a metal baseball bat. My Minelab shaft is fully extended and my pick is all ways in my hand with hand behind the blade and to my side. I will take both picks into the field this weekend just in case of what you all have been talking about. We can make picks with wood handles too. This pick will not be going on any major patch search hikes and maybe modified with a different handle. But, one thing for sure...It will not crap out on you when you need one. I'll let you know, how it performs in the field this weekend!

LuckyLundy

Guys I made these picks as a prototype. I have all my bases covered when I made these. As you can see in the picture I made these so if the handles don't work they are pre-drilled and ready for the next handle of choice. Rick wanted a bullet proof pick and trust me this pick is bullet proof. It sucks when your out in the field and you handle breaks. The fiberglass handles where do you guys get those bad boys?

JeffsGoldPick.jpg

Hi Nuggetslayer, you can find them them at many building supply houses. another great thing about fiberglass is they are not affected by weather as much as wood is. Ive been tinkering with carbon fiber. it is many times stronger than fiberglass but a lot more expensive. but one thing I should add, fiberglass and carbon fiber also transfer more shock than wood but less than steel. AzNuggetBob

:huh:

Hello People,,,

About digging. Using any kind of a pick is this really the way to go...I have areas that have round rocks as big as my fist mix with ones twice that size all with alittle gravel. And I swing that pick and sparks fly. And my digging is not getting much deeper with those rocks their. Is there another way. Another tool? Its not fun digging in areas like that with a pick. Thank You for your answers...Bob...

Hi Bob777 There is a trick I learned a few years back. I may have to put up a picture for this one. If you put the side edge of the blade on your pick just under the edge of the rock and pull your pick handle sideways it gives a lot more leverage and cuts down on broken pick handles. AzNuggetBob

Doc, think it's about time to repost your 'detecting naked' article again. If he doesn't, I think it can still be found on his website. I carry my small version pick, on a hammer loop on my belt, have my shafts on the detector fully extended and still get a signal from my pick head, at a certain point of my swing.

I pull all change from my pocket and all metal non-essentials off my body. Firmly beleive, it does make a difference! Good luck tho-

Shep

Hi Shep good post I think it says it all when it comes to leaving as much metal in your truck as you can.

Doc I just read your post over at your site. I can understand how your eyeglasses could be a problem especially with two big metal loops even though there's not a lot of metal involved. especially when you bend down to pinpoint a target your diggin. Im tellin ya all, If these damn Minelabs get any more powerfull Im going to be knocking my tooth fillings out just so I can ground balance? :D Take care all AznuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Lucky,

Going back to when I first started electronic prospecting, my favorite prospecting pick was the Estwing Hoe Pick, which was solid Steel. This pick could dig almost through solid rock due to the weight, but drove me nuts if I tried to wear it on my side. I ended up carrying it everywhere, which kind of got old after awhile. With smaller searchcoils I was able to wear it on my side (opposite side). Keep in mind, back then (15+ years ago) there wasn't all these new prospecting picks available back then.

P.S. Looking at your original picture it looks like that might be a meteorite on the ground?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

My new NuggetSlayer Pick...I might change the name of it to "DinkSlayer". Headed out this morning to one of our dink patches to give my new "All Metal Pick" the test. I turned my machine on and didn't even need to tune it. Walk ten foot with the pick in my hand and got a real faint whisper! To my surprise a little dink and my pick wasn't even dirty yet! I was working these old tailing piles and I was pulling out the normal stuff, little pieces of metal, wire & Dinks. I thought of all the advice I received on this post about to much metal. So, I decided to do some testing for myself. My boots metal lace holes, yep my machine pick them up when I had the coil to close to them. I can't detect like that cause I'd trip myself, I kind of detect like I drive a car. I look ahead of me, I learned this in Arizona detecting the Eastern side of hills on a cool morning, got to keep and eye out for the snakes! Eye glasses and tooth fillings...I had to laugh! I did get a false signal when a jet flew over at 33,000 feet though. One of you were right I dug my last nugget, the 4th Dink and headed home with my new dirty NuggetSlayer Pick. Never say never, it worked fine and I plan on many years of digging with this pick.

LuckyLundy

Pick1stDingNug2.jpg

Pick1stDinks.jpg

Pick1stDinkNugTotal.jpg

Lucky,

At least you are finding nuggets when you swing that "Louisville Slayer", but you know what the best part about you finding gold and posting the PICS?

With all the battery swapping you learned how to set the date and time! WOO HOO! :lol:

Well it must be dinner time because my Beta Video player is flashing 12:00.

Congrats on the DINKS.

Tony Teixeira

NuggetSlayer,

No need to make anymore picks this one is "Perfect"...Thanks again! Oh, what I need you to design though is...and I've given this some thought. A bicycle hand brake or something simular attach to handle and have a butter knife or something to scrap the clay and stuff off the plow blade. I know you have the schooling for this...get busy!

LuckyLundy