SD2100v2 good or bad?

Let not your heart be troubled!

Absolutely the same electronics with a new Blue cover instead of the old green one. The other advantage is that rather than having to tune the OLD GREEN machine with a screwdriver, that's right, you have to use a little screwdriver to adjust the tuning screw that is inside the plate, and you get to do the same thing with the tone control with the old Green machine. With the V2 you actually have knobs to perform those functions.

No one knows something you don't! Except me maybe, and a few other people who have a long history with Minelab. On the off chance you would get a used GREEN SD2100 machine you might be unlucky enough to get one of a select group of old SD2100 GREEN machines that had the electronics board painted in a black resin, instead of Minelab's standard white resin. Now the effect of this unfortunate situation was that only the coils sold with that machine worked with it. Any other coil that was not tuned to that specific boards anomaly, would not ground balance. And that meant basically, NO OTHER COIL worked properly.

Apparently, this black resin had some kind of metallic compound in it, that jacked up the entire electronics of the board. When Minelab foud out about what this new coating they were using was doing they recalled those machines but there are still some out there. According to the serial number range about 2000 made it to the market. I have ran into two of them, when customers bought Minelab 18 inch coils and could not get then to ground balance. Sure enough, a check of the serial number and a peak inside revealed the dreaded black board of death.

Bottom line is, get a new SD2100 V2, this is every bit the awesome machine the GREEN one was, and because of the knobs and no screw driver, much more convenient. You can buy it with complete confidence, and if you get it from Rob you can rest assured he will be there to give you the great customer service he is known for after the sale.

BCOT!

Doc

Hi,

What Doc said plus the big one:

I'd buy a new v2 in a heartbeat. Had an SD2200D and got the SD2200v2 later and would not go back to the earlier unit. You buy the SD2100v2 and you get a full warranty, usually two years and if you buy right with two years extended. Components made within the last year or two instead of ten years ago. Nostalgia is a nice thing but it rarely plays out in reality.

Steve Herschbach

• Admin

Hey Al,

The other guys pretty much covered it. Many seem to believe you can do more with the older unit, but that is not the case. The older unit has older components than the new SD2100v2. For the price, it's pretty hard to pass on one of them. There are a lot of things you can do to an SD and they are very simple to understand and use in the field.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hi Guys: DOC, ROB:

I have a question for you:

With regard to the 2100 v.2, if I were to buy one of those machines, I would want to use a Pocket Rocket, of course after the warranty runs out...but not sure which PR to buy, that would satisfy the power requirements of the detector.

I have watched with interest, with Uncle Rons success, using the PR, and I want to be successful, just like him :rolleyes: .

So here is another question: I have a GPX4000, which has the 5 pin power receptacle, and I DO have a Pocket Rocket with a label on it that says 4000, so obviously, it is for the GPX4000, but there is no indicator on the label that says what voltage it provides to the detector. On my other Pocket rocket, which I used to own, there was a 2 position switch, which had 2 power options on it, one setting for the GP3000, which I owned at the time, and another power option setting for the SD machines.

Now, would that PR that I have now, that is marked 4000 be too much or not enough power for the 2100v2, using some gender benders to complete the hookup? Now I realize that to some this is a STUPID question, :spank: but hey, if you don't axe quetions you will remane igornant...

OR will I have to come up wif some more $$$ to buy a brand new pocket rocket, and which model would that be??? I am retired, and have no visible source of income, so this is a REAL concern!!!

Thanks for any real information relative to this question you may be able/willing to provide.

Have a great day!

~LARGO~

• Admin

Hey Largo,

It's my understanding since the Coiltek Pocket Rocket is a proven safe system using a safe voltage for the Minelab's, it don't void the warranty. However, I haven't heard it from the Horse's Mouth, just telling you I doubt anyone would have anything to worry about. I've never heard of any Pocket Rocket System harming any SD, GP or GPX metal detector and I've sold hundreds of them.

Good question on the GPX-4000 Pocket Rocket System with the Gender Adapter. Humm .... I'm trying to think if I tried it or not? -_-

Thinking .....

Rob Allison

OK, this is not recommended that you do this. NOT RECOMMENDED.

The difference with your 4000 regulator, which is actually a battery cradle is that it puts 8.5 volts straight through to the detector. No regulating it down. So if you were to use gender changers to your 2100 you would be putting 8.5 volts straight through to a detecotr that at the top end can handle about 7.3 volts.

If you fry the machine that obviously is not going to be covered by warranty.

BCOT!

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the help, my Brain was fried earlier. I don't recommend running anything over about 7.5 volts to the SD's. Some good friends were running 8+ volts, but the units were very unstable. I think long term you would be putting a lot of added stress to the circuit board and components.

The GPX series run at a higher voltage than the SD or GP's. The SD's are not regulated, so you can place more voltage to them to gain some performance. The GP series are regulated at 6 volts, so adding more voltage don't help. The GPX series power down at 7.2 - 7.3 volts, but run anywhere from 7.4 to 8.5 volts.

Yes, the Gender Adapters, 4 pin to 5 pin, or 5 pin to 4 pin can adapt a lot of pieces from older units. I also have these in stock also. Many don't even know about them.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison