Howdy all and good morning. Garsh, where to start......I'm kinda bogged down with all the questions and the learning help that I'm realizing that I'm needing. I recently purchased a GPX4000 and do not have a clue on how to use it. I read the manuel and took it out to try it and can't make heads or tails out of all the UFO sounding noises coming out of the headphones! I do have a little experience with gold mining, having worked a couple hard rock claims with my Dad in the Wikenburg area and also around Bouse/Vicksburg area, but thats been a few years ago (say 20) and have not done anything related since. Also, I have never in my life messed with a detector. I'll be coming to Arizona sometime in March and am planning on staying and prospecting. I'm lookin for someone or a group that I can partner up with or go on some outings with that can mentor me a bit in metal detecting. Also, which should I join; the GPAA or LDMA?? And that's just the start of the questions I have!

Thanks for any help in advance.

JT

Hi JT

I don't know who you got your detector from but it's bad when you buy one without training.If you could get with someone that has one to show you how to work it but I'm not it.I will be out there this month and part of next so look for a white Ford Ranger at decision corner with white & yellow camping trailer.

GPAA would be one you could join and Weaver Mining is a good one plus they have claims around Rich Hill.Weaver is 35 per year and they are located just before you turn off the main road to Stanton back on top of the hill on the right with your back to Congress.

The best to you JT.

Chuck Anders

JT, I'll be there also. Look for a good look'n bearded guy w/ white Chevy and Toyhauler :rolleyes: . Might also, check with some of the pros, for a professional lesson and IT would be worth the pay! What's nice about these get-togethers is just about everyone there, will help another get started or try to.

Shep

• Admin

Hey JT,

You will have a blast out here in Arizona. March is a great time of year and most of the rains should be over with. The Stanton, Arizona (Rich Hill) area has been very productive in the past to metal detectorist, dredgers and drywashers. The water is very seasonal, so for the most part drywashing/vac-packing is the ticket along with detecting. Some do bring water and recycle it with highbankers in such in certain areas.

I would seriously consider purchasing the Rich Hill maps of the area. I have them, along with the Map Maker Uncle Ron. These maps will give a very good idea of what is claimed and by what clubs. The LDMA, GPAA, Weaver Mining, Roadrunner Prospecting Club, WSPA and 24K Gold Hunters Club are some of the main ones.

The GPX-4000 you purchased will give you a great chance to find some of that ellusive Rich Hill Gold! :D

Wishing you the best out there,

Rob Allison

Howdy all and good morning. Garsh, where to start......I'm kinda bogged down with all the questions and the learning help that I'm realizing that I'm needing. I recently purchased a GPX4000 and do not have a clue on how to use it. I read the manuel and took it out to try it and can't make heads or tails out of all the UFO sounding noises coming out of the headphones! I do have a little experience with gold mining, having worked a couple hard rock claims with my Dad in the Wikenburg area and also around Bouse/Vicksburg area, but thats been a few years ago (say 20) and have not done anything related since. Also, I have never in my life messed with a detector. I'll be coming to Arizona sometime in March and am planning on staying and prospecting. I'm lookin for someone or a group that I can partner up with or go on some outings with that can mentor me a bit in metal detecting. Also, which should I join; the GPAA or LDMA?? And that's just the start of the questions I have!

Thanks for any help in advance.

JT

When i bought my 4000 from Rob i got a video called The outback prospector the gpx factor. i would think you could get one. i know it really helped me out. that reminds me Rob is there a time limit on that 1 day outing with you? I still havent been to az since I bought my detector.