Night hunting

This year I plan on doing alot more night hunting to try and beat the heat during the summer. I did try a few times, mostly just detecting until a little after the sun went down with a forehead light (did not want to be skunked lol). I have looked into night vision goggles but they tend to be fairly pricey but not out of the question if that is a hot setup.

Do you guys have any tips or hints for night hunting - what works and what doesn't?

DigDeep

I've done some night hunting and it's alot of fun.

It makes you pay attention in other than the usual ways.

Having a headlamp is a must although I have hunted on full moon nights

and it is amazing how much visibility you have, especially in open areas.

You need to make sure to remind yourself that snakes tend to be out on warmish nights after hot days.

Wear your snake guards in case you forget the above statement.

Carry a spare small flashlight.

I never ran across a snake while night hunting.

But I did give myself a bit of a start when I realized it hadn't even occurred to me to

watch out for them on the first couple of nights I hunted.

Have fun,

Flak

This can be a touchy subject on many forums because people assume your high grading but Ill tell you I have been hunting at night for many years. you can beat the crowds, the heat and also the "patch hackers". less bugs like no see-ums. and of course the sun burn. sometimes I use a head lamp with a red lens cover, it atracts less bugs and the hackers cant see it as far away. dont forget your snake leggens. :ph34r: AzNuggetBob

Hi DigDeep,

I actually love night hunting... I have been pretty successful at it too. The EMI seems to be cut in half if not more, and your machine will run much quieter guaranteed.

When I night hunt, I hunt in my cleaned out patches. It’s amazing some of the targets that will pop up in areas you have been over and over. I believe night hunting can be more productive for 2 reasons: (1) Less EMI to allow your machine to pick up faint targets that may have been previously drowned out.

(2) Your ability to focus. It’s amazing how much easier it is to focus on what you are doing when all you can see is a few surrounding feet. Seems like when one of your senses is disabled, your others are improved.

In the summer I plan trips when the moon is full or close too. Your eyes will adjust, and you will not even need a light while swinging. But be sure to carry one to investigate a potential target, or to shine it in the eyes of some animal that may be stalking you.

I am generally not afraid of the dark, but when you are out there all alone in the quiet dark and you get that chill down your spine, and you mind gets to ticking, you can creep yourself out. :unsure:

For times when the moon is not very bright, or its cloudy I use a headlamp. Mine actually has two setting, one a standard LED and the other has a red lens. I prefer the red lens for some weird reason.

Also I like to carry a bigger flashlight to occasionally shine back at the reflectors on my pickup just to regain my bearings from time to time. That’s another reason I like to hunt my old patches, so I am not getting lost some where out there.

Watch out for the buzztails and scorps.

If I was ever to recommend snake-shaps, nighttime might not be a bad idea!

Sorry to ramble. Good luck to you, I hope you score some gold.

Gus-

I agree with you Gus, you brought up several good points." focus", maybe because of lack of bugs. for those that dont live in AZ in the summer the bugs get brutal similar to Australia from what Ive heard. personally I dont like like being drenched in a fluid that melts plastic? (DEET) :wacko: to avoid bugs and at night lower EMI is definitely a plus. night huntin has its advantages. AzNuggetBob

I love night hunting I always had an LED head lamp. Cheap way to go is home depot $10.99 Huskey red and black LED it takes 2 AA batt and will run all night. The more expensive way to go is like FOXfury or Petzl these are way high end but will last a life time. I then tape 1 or 2 surefire flashlights to the shaft of my detector make sure you do this HIGH up on the shaft you dont want false siginals. Also a very good reminder is make sure you GPS your truck at night everything is different so you don't have your land marks to go by if you get yourself lost. Other than that watch out for snakes and good luck diggggggging the GOLD.

Happy Hunting

HOTROCK

One other thing I forgot to mention is the cats come out to play at night also. Ive seen several hunting at night but usually just a fleeting glimpse. I recommend a well trained dog along with you but if its not well trained consider it disposable. I know several cat hunters around here and they use several dogs at a time to hunt the cats. several dogs confuse the cats and usually tree them up on boulders. but occasionally they loose dogs too. It seems that most the cat attacks Ive been hearing about lately prefer bicyclists wearing spandex anyway.... ;)

Take Care AzNuggetBob

Guest Mike C...

Dang Bob what are you trying to do by injecting fear into to these want to be night stalkers---first its snakes and scorpions and now cats--I would be more affraid of the 2 legged manimals that lurk about then the above :wacko: ---Mike C... :ph34r:

Hey Mike, what I meant by the spandex comment is the last two attacks Ive heard of on people were both on bicyclists not kidding. in two different states????? dont know what the attraction is. but my point was your probably more likely to be attacted on a bicycle??? :ph34r: AzNuggetBob

Also many untrained dogs have a tendency to run right into the cat and dont leave the cat much choice.

Dang Bob what are you trying to do by injecting fear into to these want to be night stalkers---first its snakes and scorpions and now cats--I would be more affraid of the 2 legged manimals that lurk about then the above :wacko: ---Mike C... :ph34r:

As long as you don't see two little white dots in the distance.... you're safe....

basement.jpg

:rolleyes:

Jennifer

273.00 is too much to spend on a headlamp. There are plenty more out there that dont have the 5 watts but are way cheaper and put out quite a bit of light. I use the Petzl Tikka Plus , and it puts out awesome light with 4 led`s on high. You could buy two and still only be down 50 bucks or so.

The EMI really does seem much better at night ....That was the first thing that I noticed...

Hey DD, a couple other things-

If your in an area with mine shafts make sure you know where they are and stay away far away from them... very easy to slip down one. Another thing that was mentioned but not really talked about to much, is that yes people do get suspicious when your hunting at night so be carefull. One night a friend and I got a gun pulled on us and our lives threatened because we were out night hunting. The guys were members of a local prospecting club and they thought we were claim jumping (when we weren't). The guys were ex-cops (you know... the type that assumes everybody's up to no good). Later on I talked to one of the guys that did it... no apology and they totally felt it was justified I guess... I still can't figure that one out especially when we were unarmed ans calm through the situation! I took it as a couple guys not to familiar with the outdoors and thinks there's things out there that will harm them.

It's fun to do, just be carefull.

Del

Hey, if you are working a patch can you run a small generator and flood lights off the back of your truck?

Tony Teixeira

I hit a patch once that I was able to get my Jeep to and used the headlights into the night to work it.

I was thinking about the generator deal also, those little Honda inverter generators are really lightweight and will go forever on a gallon of gas, we used them out in Glamis (sand dunes) to light up camp area, worked well.

DigDeep

Night hunting is very rewarding. Less EMI, easier to concentrate, cooler weather, Less people around, and stealthier. Don't let the fear lovers talk you out of night hunting. I have hunted a lot at night, and enjoy it more than day hunting. I also know a few others that mostly hunt at night. Haven't yet heard of a mishap, or anything else out of the ordinary happening to any of us. I can say that I have heard of a lot of mishaps happening in the daytime though. A lot of people are fearful by nature and think about the exceptional worst case scenario first. I believe in God and destiny, therefore I don't even have to think about things going wrong. I just assume things are going to be alright, and do as I see fit. :rolleyes:

Sorry I was going to post a reply but I cant stop laughing. :lol:

AzNuggetBob

Reminds me of my motto while out dancing... I never feel comfy dancing unless I've had a few drinks.. I reckon if I'm too drunk to see their faces, they can't see me either.. :)

Just be careful folks... the law of relativity states, if one end is buried in the ground and unavailable... there's an equal and just as opportune end exposed :spank: (or it says something like that..grin)