upside to the downside

It's a dirty job.... but with all the brush burned off, may be a boon to a detectorist to scan the hillsides of Cajon Pass, Lytle Creek and such environs, for the area is known for placer gold. Wrightwood southeast, silver lake road east, hills bewteen lytle creek and swartout, lost lake, and west of I-15, cleghorn canyon and beyond. Gold is associated with greenstone, exposed from uplifts and faulting by the San Andreas fault, which is right there.

while gold has been small in some areas, average nugget size of <4dwt, wire gold and specimen float has been located there, and some larger nuggets, up to 12 dwt.

Boy, I'd love to go anywhere where the "average" nugget size is less than

4dwt...

Seriously, has anyone had any luck in any of these areas recently?

I haven't heard of anything and I have several acquaintances that

have frequented the area for years.

Flak

Hey Flak, we are heading for the hills next week as soon as I get my Battery back from Minelab. PM me if you got the time to head out with us.

I have hit Lytle creek several times including the Hydraulic pit areas, and I am sure there is gold there somewhere but the trash (bullets etc.) is unbearable.

I did dredge there once also with a 4" and we got 3 tiny flakes for a days work :angry2:

Also I don't think that area burned.

I'm a member of another forum that has several members that live in that area and the Forest is closed because of the fires, even thought most of the fires are out, and the forest service seems to love keeping everyone out of the forest, something about the area is not stable because of all the vegetation is gone!! :huh:

Skip

DigDeep,

Thank you for the invite, I would like to take a rain check if I may,

I simply cannot make it out this weekend. But would love to join you on a hunt sometime.

GoldSeeker,

I notice they also still have the Piru Creek area closed from the fires over a year ago. I wonder what the joy

of keeping people OUT of their National Forest area's is for the BLM etc.

GoldSeeker,

I notice they also still have the Piru Creek area closed from the fires over a year ago. I wonder what the joy

of keeping people OUT of their National Forest area's is for the BLM etc.

It makes one wonder what they may be hiding in there doesn't it?

Hi All

They did the same thing here a few years after the Ceder fire. Closed everything up

until the state could collect any and all Indian artifacts and lock them up in a where house.

Sad thing is one of the state guys told us that no one else would ever see them.

Regards

Herb

any fed with an agenda is going to trample the rights of the public to use public land. We get it all the time, from closing hundred year old roads and trails, old mine districts that went belly up when the metals prices were low (and would likely be booming now; including prospectors and detectorists that only disturb the surface areas within a few feet or less).

No access roads into wilderness areas that once were the sites of towns and mills.

Fact is, most of the prescribed burns by the feds all jump the lines and become huge conflagrations.

It'd be different if the feds had actually practical experience instead of some theory or hypothesis propsed in some text book, but in their case, ignorance is far more lethal and henious (sic?), and the othermostly uninformed public user is unable to expose the myths and lies. I mean, they have to tell people to not feed the bears, not leave snacks in the front seat of the car or onground in camp; what a flotation device is or isn't; not to jump in and attempt to swim in a boiling hotspring, and myriad other garbage that the mostly ignorant public cannot fathom or comprehend; perhaps a public as equally ignorant as may rangers (not all fall into the trap, on both sides). Perhaps people are kept out of burned areas over medical issues with ash and burned residues or some other potential lawsuit. Heck, even little kids have rights these days.

When I was growing up, there were good playground swings, merry go rounds, and great (and fast) metal slides. Nothing in the desert, when dug up, was anybody's fault, but considered a keepsake or treasure. Now that we have to leave junk buried to 'save for the future generations' that have no clues or desires to dig anything anywhere up, fed officials have run amok. Placed in charge of the Zoo, where the really strange and destructive animals are the things on two legs- destructive but dumber than a billet of steel.

It's really sad that those of us that have a brain (not neccesarily a degree) are being cast into the same lot as the rest of the 'droids.

• 13 years later...