At loooonnnngggg last...

After trying for over five years, I finally found my AZ nugget. Well almost a nugget. More like a dink but it's gold and it's mine. Got it last week in Gold Basin. It was about 8" deep and was found in an area that I had hunted several times. Decided to try a bigger coil, the biggest I have and between the airplane boings and zings, I heard a whisper.

Sorry Rob, it's not an Orange coil. The first coil I ever bought was a DD Wallaby from you and this was the next coil I bought...

post-195-1256609727_thumb.jpg

Kamikaze,

Nice little nug. you have there. There will be more to come, I'm sure.

Didn't know that you were at the hunt or I would have shook your hand. We didn't so well in the team hunt.

I did manage to take first place in the Fri. hunt, for the $75.00 prize. Took $50.00 & $20.00 in a couple to the other hunts.

Didn't find too many coins, I think that the total count was 375 coins for the whole hunt. The wife took $10.00 & $15.00 in a couple of the hunts.

We made it home with 9 silver dimes and 10 oz's of silver [rounds & dollars].

Last time I talked to Dutch John [Jim Straight] he had won a gold coin.

All in all, it was a good hunt. However it wasn't as much fun for me as I broke a couple of toes on Thurs. evening, before the Fri. evening hunt, so was taking pain pills just so I could limp around the field, couldn't make any time. :angry2: Hope I have better luck next year. :rolleyes:

Bob T.

Awesome, Gaine...That's what it takes...Took me seven years to detect my first nugget, although I was dredging and sluicing pounds of nuggets...Back in the day we thought guys who detected nuggets were pussies...Just didn't get it then...Boy was I wrong....Congrats on that coarse beauty!!! ... Once you open the gate, many will follow...Cheers, Unc

Thanks everyone...yup, I'm pretty stoked to have found it but I think I need to clarify something. I'm not as big a diehard as some of you may think. This was my first AZ nugget but not my first nugget. After a couple of years of traveling to AZ and not finding anything, I joined Rob and a few others and flew to Moore Creek, AK. The pickins' were better there and I finally popped my cherry, but that did not deter my quest for that first AZ nugget. This little beauty sure was worth the wait and makes it even more special...

Jim, sorry about not contacting you but if it takes me two hours to get from Vegas to Gold Basin, I could not imagine how long it would be for you to get there from Phoenix... But if I am ever in your area, you can count on my giving you a call bro! Take care!

Colorado Bob, too bad we did not bump into each other. I kept looking around at name tags hoping I would recognize a name or two... That was our 2nd coinshoot and we had a blast! Last year, my Wife didn't find hardly a thing but I was lucky enough to find a token. This year, we each found a token and I was especially glad that she finally found one. Back at the hotel, she kept looking at the silver round and wrapped it up all safe in some tissue. It made me smile to see her so happy.... I sure wish they had hunts like that in my area. Good going on your scores! Even with your sore foot...you smoked our butts!

Uncle Ron, that reminds me, I asked you print up a map for me and never placed the order... :blush: Sorry about that and I promise I will contact you soon...

Thanks again guys! Good hunting!!!

Gaine,

Hey, that's a nice chunky one! Them nugget's love company...search high and low in that area. Keep the roll, rolling!

LuckyLundy

Thanks LuckyLundy! I agree, there must be more. Unfortunately, they will have to wait until my next trip...probably next year. Thanks again and good hunting!

Hi Gaine, good for you and your AZ nug. If you had waited a bit perhaps you could have met up with Ken P again. He left here a few days ago on his way eventually to AZ. They are making a couple stops along the way. He is now part of our Mills Creek gang and detected quite a few small nuggets there. When are you heading to Ak again?? Bob

Hi Gaine,

Good for you - congrats. Could not happen to a nicer guy!

I'm afraid we are about done here. Going to get snowed in any minute. Still lots of dredging time left but the detecting will soon be gone.

Heard you had a good summer Bob. You deserve it for climbing up and down that hill.

Steve Herschbach

I remember the feeling well. OMG there really isgold nuggets in the ground and I really can find them with a metal detector.

Finding nuggets is exponential in the learning curve. In other words, each successive nugget you find will become easier. If you don't spend at least 20 minutes after finding a nugget just looking at where you found it, how it possibly got there, why someone else missed it, what you did differently to find it, was it in a gully, or was in a bush lining a gully, was it in a rivlet headed towards a gully?

If you don't take that opportunity to learn, you are doing yourself a great dis-service.

Congratulations.

Doc

Thanks Bob! Keith and I did some coin shooting in Laughlin and saved a day for nuggets. We are trying to decide what/where to go next summer. If we head North, you can count on a call from us...

Hi Steve! Yup, finally got one from AZ. Not quite as big as the ones you grow up North but I'm pretty stoked to have found it. You planning another beach hunt later this year? Hope to see you next summer...

I remember the feeling well. OMG there really isgold nuggets in the ground and I really can find them with a metal detector.

Finding nuggets is exponential in the learning curve. In other words, each successive nugget you find will become easier. If you don't spend at least 20 minutes after finding a nugget just looking at where you found it, how it possibly got there, why someone else missed it, what you did differently to find it, was it in a gully, or was in a bush lining a gully, was it in a rivlet headed towards a gully?

If you don't take that opportunity to learn, you are doing yourself a great dis-service.

Congratulations.

Doc

Thanks Doc, you know, I've been over that area several times previously and still can't believe I missed it. It makes me wonder how many more are hiding there. I tried to visualize where that nugget came from and the path it took but no luck finding it's big brother... Maybe next time.