My first Detector GP 3500

Hey, as some may know I have just bought a GP 3500 and received it just 2 days ago. As a first impression I think it looks great and as advertised. ( except for the part where it says used only 5 times and turns out to be no wall charger)

Being it the first time that I own a detector, I just have one question? Is there a real reason for the settings to be on the rear (sound settings) I thought it would be easy to adjust and tweak and fine tune along the way while detecting, but it’s not. It seems heavy and a bit annoying to turn to the settings at the rear. So my question is like I said: Is there a reason for it to be on the rear rather than maybe on the side of the machine where it carries the name “GP 3500†(lenght) more suitable to tweak the settings or even recognise what setting your on?

Sorry if I’m not making sense, I’m just new and maybe used to the Sound Studio Knobs where all are in front of me.

Hey, as some may know I have just bought a GP 3500 and received it just 2 days ago. As a first impression I think it looks great and as advertised. ( except for the part where it says used only 5 times and turns out to be no wall charger)

Being it the first time that I own a detector, I just have one question? Is there a real reason for the settings to be on the rear (sound settings) I thought it would be easy to adjust and tweak and fine tune along the way while detecting, but it’s not. It seems heavy and a bit annoying to turn to the settings at the rear. So my question is like I said: Is there a reason for it to be on the rear rather than maybe on the side of the machine where it carries the name “GP 3500†(lenght) more suitable to tweak the settings or even recognise what setting your on?

Sorry if I’m not making sense, I’m just new and maybe used to the Sound Studio Knobs where all are in front of me.

Hello AMD...The GP3500 is a nice machine and the best anolog detector Minelab has, I had one in the past and wish I still had it. As for the volume and all once the knob is set there should be no continuous reason to keep going back to readjust the switchs. Ask if the seller forgot to package the wall charger. It does happen, theres a lot of gear in package deals. I remembered the switch or I should say dails were a little resistant on turning, thats normal. Have fun with the GP....Guido

AMD;

you will be much better off using the 12 volt car charger...the wall charger tends to "burn out" the battery...

read the manual...and carry it with you...

The only control you will need to use often is the ground balance button on the handle...it is usually best to run in fixed(after start-up ground balance is finished)

practice away from the city and other interference...it will not work in the modern city enviornment.

do a search for old posts on the forums for the 3500

you might invest in Jonathan Porters dvd on the 3000 and 3500

using the stock coil, run in deep, sensitive, middle tracking speed, coil set to dd...and as I said before...donot us the descrimination function...that can wait.

fred

And btw, these were built for the military so they had to idiot proof them as much as possible...no offense to the military...

I use a DC power supply to charge the batttery for my 3500. That way I keep it inside and out of the FREEEEEZZZING garage. I have to make sure that I dont forget and turn on the base radio at the same time. I dont know how important it is, but I throw a charge on it every now and then to keep it peaked during the winter months.

The house charge has fried more batteries than I can count, Most guys just toss it in a drawer somewhere, just too easy to burn a battery up on the house charger. You much better running it on a 12 cirgarette plug, and when you get your pocket Rocket from ROB, the same thing holds true, Even though it won't burn batteries up like the stock set up, I find it charges quicker on the 12 volt . Question? Isn't your voltage 220 ac over there? in that case you would be miles ahead to use the 12 volt. Grubstake

Gubstake's right about the battery...I thought you had a Coiltek battery set-up. If you got the big heavy one do yourself favor and when you can buy a Coiltek Li-Ion battery set-up! As for the other battery the charger is a waist of time. There is no regulator on those chargers and it will fry your battery if you leave it on for too long. The battery housing will swell up and may leak acid! Guido

Thanks everyone for making me feel better that i didn't need the wall charger anyways! and honestly I can not blame the seller, because when i went back to the ebay description it did not say anything about a wall charger. I just assumed there should be one. He also did not mention anything about a car charger, so instead of me whining that i did not get a wall charger, i should actualy be thankfull to have recieved a car charger. No regrets. :D

AMD,

CONGRATULATIONS on getting your detector, I know that being this was the first time using eBay, you are relieved to have the detector in your hands!!! :D

Do you have the 3500 in your country, or do you still have to get it passed customs?

I can't wait to see some of the gold from your country!! B)

I can't give you any advice, as I have not used any of the Minelabs PIs, no nuggets in my area that a VLF can't find only fine gold and small pickers.

Skip