What's on the coil cable?

It is a ferrite used to control the amount of interference to other devices dictated by American FCC rules (Federal Communications Commission), so only has an impact on transmit not receive (does not impact on the amount of EMI present).

JP

PS Is only used on the 15x12 Commander Mono as it is the only coil that needs it.

601px-US-FCC-AltLogo.png

It is a ferrite used to control the amount of interference to other devices dictated by American FCC rules (Federal Communications Commission), so only has an impact on transmit not receive (does not impact on the amount of EMI present).

JP

PS Is only used on the 15x12 Commander Mono as it is the only coil that needs it.

601px-US-FCC-AltLogo.png

Wouldn't the ferrite toroidal core (bead), prevent high frequency electrical noise (RF interference) from entering the coil and electronics? I would see their use particularly useful, for example, near the vicinity of unsupressed motors or the like?

Wouldn't the ferrite toroidal core (bead), prevent high frequency electrical noise (RF interference) from entering the coil and electronics? I would see their use particularly useful, for example, near the vicinity of unsupressed motors or the like?

The detector has all of this present internally as part of the design, just the Commander 15 x 12 Mono needed something extra for transmission as it was from what I can gather right on the FCC threshold for some reason. I use these ferrite's on my Hi-Def video cameras when capturing via firewire cable as it is a powered bus, without the ferrite it can cause drops out while capturing (not good on an Mpeg based camera as a long or short GOP (Group of Pictures) is a lot to loose in one hit :blink: ).

JP

The detector has all of this present internally as part of the design, just the Commander 15 x 12 Mono needed something extra for transmission as it was from what I can gather right on the FCC threshold for some reason. I use these ferrite's on my Hi-Def video cameras when capturing via firewire cable as it is a powered bus, without the ferrite it can cause drops out while capturing (not good on an Mpeg based camera as a long or short GOP (Group of Pictures) is a lot to loose in one hit :blink: ).

JP

Looking at size and shape I would guess ferrite coil to reduce emi. Looks like the one on my laptops power cord.

Please note I formulated this response prior to seeing the responses for others.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

That is exactly what it is. If you noticed, the older Commander 15x12 didn't have it, or at least I had several that didn't have them. The Commander 15x12 is a popular coil, but damn it's one of the heaviest coils I've ever swung.

Take care,

Rob Allison

JP

I've noticed how detectors cause EMI to other detectors nearby. I'd guess this ferrite bead will help to reduce that interference. Am I right? On another thought, will this affect how the coil works in terms of depth, target response, mineralization etc.

As many of you may know NuggetSlayer and myself love the 12x15 Commander Coil. It runs very smooth in all soil condition that we encounter. The Noise Supressure do-dad sets it apart from the 11" Commander and finds gold from sunbakers to 18" deep on some of my 1/2 oz nuggets. It's a very heavy coil and I have other large coils I use in open ground, but it's the King for tall grass hunting! My 12x15 Commander finally took to much water late this Winter and I'm looking for another! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy

Yep! Clip on Ferrite Suppressor.

They work most well for RF interference.

They Do NOT effect your coil out put as the Pulse Freq is to Low.

Coil out put is a square wave, square waves are made up of infinite number of Odd Harmonics of the fundamental Freq or Pulse and it could attenuate a bit but not enough to measure.

They can help prevent Radio Frequency Interference that is being Modulated with Components within the Sample Period.

They can be had cheap and you can fit them on any machine you think your having RFI problems with.

Cost: Less then $3.00

http://www.radiodan.com/pdf/Ferrite_Tests.pdf

If you don't like the Performance?

Cut it Off!

Just insure you get one that is suitable for the cable size you have.

Have a Good Day!

P.S.

Best to locate them on the cable as close to the Box as you can.

Some dealers here in Oz are being hounded by Sudanese to put them on coils.I was in one dealer's shop last week when two Sudanese ordered 50 ferrite rings. Even after the dealer told them repeatedly that they don't need them. They replied "We can get a lot more for them with the ferrite ring attached"

Robert

Some dealers here in Oz are being hounded by Sudanese to put them on coils.I was in one dealer's shop last week when two Sudanese ordered 50 ferrite rings. Even after the dealer told them repeatedly that they don't need them. They replied "We can get a lot more for them with the ferrite ring attached"

Robert

Perhaps it's possible that the're using unsupressed motors in the nearby vicinity.

With the craziness going on right now (thank you Sudan), I can see these ferrite cores selling for $5,000.00 so stock up now....grin.

I use these on HF (high frequency) radio installations as well. Usually on the control cable (between the transceiver and control head) as in some environments transmitting RF at 100+ watts can cause the unit to shut down/reboot (especially the Icom IC-706).

Cheers

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's possible that the're using unsupressed motors in the nearby vicinity.

Hello everybody

Really it’s interesting thread specially If you come to know that the working area is desert area and it’s far from any RF interference.

My people can believe any thing that make finding nugget easy :P . they can believe impossible things