Cool Vest

My concern would be first, is weight! After the 3-4 hours, I guess it would become dead weight you got to pack around. I've had pretty good luck with freezing my hydrapak the night before. Have cold liquid to drink for several hours, it does transfer the cooling to your back (actually removes the heat), and is usually empty and lightweight at the end of the day. Just my thoughts-

Shep

I have to agree, Its heavy, ya cant drink it. It reminds me of those little gel freezer packs ya used to get for your little ice chest? the price, lasts two and a half hours? My camel pack with ice and water lasts longer for about $30.00 to $50.00. I was hoping for something better. AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Guys,

The vest is probably a good idea for some applications, but not sure it's the best for detecting in the deserts. I'm a big fan of a Camelpak hydration backpack. The one I have has a 100oz bladder, 2-3 nice sized pouches and compartments. If I really wanted to load the pack down, I could probably pack 500oz of water.

I'm a big fan of filling the bladder full of ice then the remainder with cold water. However, I actually have a couple of small plastic cups and I freeze them. Two large blocks of ice that will just fit into the bladder and then water. These two large chunks of ice will last at least 2 hours longer then just ice cubes.

I will also carry one 12-16 ounce Gatorade and extra water bottle for backup.

This system will normally work well for 4-5 hours of solid summer hunting for me.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob thanks for mentioning top off with (cold) water, its what I do but forgot to point out. Its a very important note, It will almost double the time it will stay cold with ice cubes. also I use bottled water only. I found the bladder lasts longer without getting a bad taste. I like your idea of using larger longer chunks of ice too. I also like Shep's idea of freezing the whole pack. but one thing that comes to mind is you may not want to fill the bladder all the way to allow for exspantion when it freezes?. maybe he will jump back in here and tell us how he does it. AzNuggetBob

Archived