What Metal Detector are you using for Gold Nuggets

93 members have voted

1. 1. What Metal Detector are you using for gold nugget hunting?

• Minelab PI (includes SD, GP or GPX series)
    • White's TDI
    • Garrett Infinium LS
    • Minelab VLF (includes GT, XT or Eureka Gold)
    • Minelab X-Terra Series (includes X-70 & 705)
    • Tesoro Lobo (includes original and Super Tracker)
    • Fisher Goldbug Series or Goldstrike
    • Garrett Gold Stinger
    • White's GoldMaster Series
    • White's GMT or MTX
    • Bounty Hunter Series
    • Any other Metal Detector not listed

• Admin

Hello All,

Curious what metal detector you're using for gold nugget hunting. Please only choose one selection from the list above as your primary gold detector you use in the goldfields to search for gold nuggets. Will be interesting to see what people are using.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob, I suspect a significant (if not larger proportion) of NON-Minelab owners / users will not be represented on this poll.

They would likely belong to and post on other forums with biases towards Whites, Garret, home-mades and other independent forums. So, I would expect higher proportion of ML respondees on this, a ML sellers forum, wouldn't you?

Few would argue that ML PIs lead the sales of metal detectors.

Huego

Gosh Huego, would ANYONE - other than you, argue that there is a better gold finding metal detector than Minelab? Maybe 1 out of every 1,000 detector users? The bottom line is this, I TEACH people how to find gold and I could not do my job as well as I do without the Minelab - period. The reason the poll is skewed (I voted for the Tesoro Lobo), is because - ALL - serious gold prospectors (that can afford one) have a Minelab - don't you? :blush: Terry

Rob, I suspect a significant (if not larger proportion) of NON-Minelab owners / users will not be represented on this poll.

They would likely belong to and post on other forums with biases towards Whites, Garret, home-mades and other independent forums. So, I would expect higher proportion of ML respondees on this, a ML sellers forum, wouldn't you?

Few would argue that ML PIs lead the sales of metal detectors.

Huego

Gosh... over the past 25+ years I have used at one time or another all of the choices and have found gold with them... Since many of us are familiar with the Minelab, my list includes the original Minelab GT-16000 and the FT-16000. But especially the XT-17000 (in 32 khz) as I have done pretty well with it.

Maybe I should start another poll with the "I wish this was the detector I was using"

That would likely heavily favor the Minelab LOL

Only reason I'm not in an ML is because the dealer I went to... with very little money restrictions... sold me a danged GMT instead of an ML4500 (which I could have gotten at the time, but not anymore). :spank:

I'll bet you all know what Central AZ dealer that is. They are a dealer of both, as I understand it. And I didn't know of Rob and the others at the time. :(

Gosh Huego, would ANYONE - other than you, argue that there is a better gold finding metal detector than Minelab? Maybe 1 out of every 1,000 detector users? The bottom line is this, I TEACH people how to find gold and I could not do my job as well as I do without the Minelab - period. The reason the poll is skewed (I voted for the Tesoro Lobo), is because - ALL - serious gold prospectors (that can afford one) have a Minelab - don't you? :blush: Terry

Terry, read my post again. I did NOT say there are better detectors than the ML 4500, did I? I said there are gold finders elsewhere. Those who are members HERE are MOSTLY ML users, it’s a ML dealers forum.

If you did this poll on Whites forum or a Garrets forum you would get a different result. Right? Why, I have explained why.

This Poll could be seen as a way of stroking ML owners ego’s by saying “I own a 4500 therefore I have the best chance of finding gold.” I don' believe that is so.

Note my last comment? Here it is again “Few would argue that ML PIs lead the sales of metal detectors.” But don’t use this poll for a survey of what the buyers own and use or even want …… it is BENT.

Huego :)

(PS: I own and use a ML too!)

Terry, read my post again. I did NOT say there are better detectors than the ML 4500, did I? I said there are gold finders elsewhere. Those who are members HERE are MOSTLY ML users, it’s a ML dealers forum.

If you did this poll on Whites forum or a Garrets forum you would get a different result. Right? Why, I have explained why.

This Poll could be seen as a way of stroking ML owners ego’s by saying “I own a 4500 therefore I have the best chance of finding gold.” I don' believe that is so.

Note my last comment? Here it is again “Few would argue that ML PIs lead the sales of metal detectors.” But don’t use this poll for a survey of what the buyers own and use or even want …… it is BENT.

I have a whites GMT and a diablo umax

Terry, read my post again. I did NOT say there are better detectors than the ML 4500, did I? I said there are gold finders elsewhere. Those who are members HERE are MOSTLY ML users, it's a ML dealers forum.

This Poll could be seen as a way of stroking ML owners ego's by saying "I own a 4500 therefore I have the best chance of finding gold." I don' believe that is so.

Note my last comment? Here it is again "Few would argue that ML PIs lead the sales of metal detectors." But don't use this poll for a survey of what the buyers own and use or even want …… it is BENT.

Huego,

Read what you said, and couldn't agree with you more!!

I'm from Colorado, and the gold we have here is SMALL, flour for the most part, though dredging in the rivers has turned up a piece that might go 2 penny weight. I mainly hunt tailing piles with a Gold Bug II and do so-so. I also own a Minelab, though not the 4500 - just a lowly SD2200V2. With Rob's help, I've got a few extras on it, and if there is any gold to find, I hope it does the trick. If I lived in Arizona, then I would find the money to get the 4500, but then not all of us can afford the best.

h20prospector

Well Rob,

I don't know quite how to answer this.

I am very happy to say that since I came to AZ in March that I have had the opportunity to meet some great people who have been overly helpful teaching me the art of gold chasing.

I have a GB2 now, and will have possession of a ML4000 in a few days, I also have access to Lobo ST and ML2200V2.....

You know Rob, it is good to have good friends!!!

God has blessed me for sure!

I have used detectors for the better part of thirty years. First a White's tr66? then some crazy thing bought from the flea market that couldn't even find itself. Now I have an Infinium LS and a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. Next year we are coming out west for a month and wonder if this is a good combination?

Rob,

Looking for gold nuggets takes a lot of time and work. Even though I like being out in the hills, I want the best chance of finding the gold. So I use a GPX4000.

Purchased from you almost three years ago. It's a good machine that has found me lots of gold. The 4500 might be better but I think I'll wait for the 5000 to come out before I upgrade.

Judd

• Admin

Hello Guys,

It's interesting to see the numbers and I will just leave it at that. All manufactures make great metal detectors, you just have to know what's going to work best for you. Overall, it seems like the Minelab PI's are mostly being used for gold nugget hunting, which goes right along with what I've said. In all the major goldfields I have visited, most of the hunters are using the Minelab PI's. The superior mineral immunity, user control and depth have made them the machine to use.

Makes me wonder what is next? Will it be the GPX-5000 or something else .... :ph34r:

Thanks for all the people that voted and posted a reply.

Rob Allison

Archived