Disquieting Snake Encounter

I took a long overnight hike yesterday with the intention to explore some old diggings. The diggings were about 60 ft up from the current river channel in California gold country. I found a suitable gully to make the ascent, but as I was scouting the lie, I saw movement about halfway up the gully. As I watched, a 2 1/2 ft rattler came slithering down my way. Now normally I leave the creatures be, but I was not sure that I could trust this rascal not lay up under a rock or bush and surprise me at some inopportune moment. The gully was too narrow and too steep for me to evade him if we were to meet somewhere in the middle. I grabbed my pack shovel to dispatch him at the first opportunity. He stopped in a small flat spot above me, but well within reach of my short handled shovel. I waited until his head was well exposed and gave him a smart crack on the skull with the flat part of the shovel. It seemed to have worked, he just lied there quivering. I was maneuvering around to deliver the coup de gras, when he regained consciousness and started thrashing and biting at anything in range. His thrashing sent him sliding down the hill, off a little lip and airborne. I'm beating a hasty retreat trying not to fall in the loose ground and hoping he doesn't land in the middle of me. He sails past on my left and lands with a thud at the bottom of the gully. It's clear that he's lost most of his motor function, but he has retained all his biting function. He is biting anything near his head, rocks, branches anything. He's got those fangs fully exposed and really mad. I put the shovel head down near him and he grabbed the edge, trying to work those fangs into it. I put the creature out of his misery with another sharp crack to the skull that ended his madness.

I warily proceed up the gully and as I stepped over a fallen log a black and yellow racer type snake shoots out from under. Now I'm a little unnerved, two snakes in less than a hundred feet. Every brush with dead, dried foliage starts to sound like a snake.

After a short bout of digging in the old gravel, I gave up on the spot because it was too hot, too steep and too far away from water. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

As Doc and Sgt Esterhaus always warn, Be Careful Out There.

Wow! Close call. Makes the hair on my neck get straight! Next time no prisoners - Double Tap 'em with that shovel the First time. Here's my "shovel!" post-29158-128147222898_thumb.jpg

Glad you were not hurt! - Terry

Your shovel looks a lot like my old Colt Python. That was my weapon of choice during my few years as a uniformed cop in Boulder, Colorado. Had the action worked and it was a smooth as silk. We got paid a $25.00 monthly premium if we could qualify distinguished expert. That Python made it easy. Them was the good old days.

Terry,

You must understand that sdf lives in Kalifornia where illigals & treehuggers abound. And guns are a four letter word. :P

One must improvise with the next best weapon, a shovel. :spank::lol:

:ph34r: wonderer

Actually, I live in Nevada. I have a magnificent little Kahr Arms hideaway 9mm, but its just one more thing for me to carry and keep track of in the field. I was already carrying about 60 lbs. I carried a gun for 27 yrs in law enforcement and haven't really missed it. But, as my old training officer used to say, "if you ever need it and don't have it, you won't be needing it again". I thought about it again today when I was hiking out. I saw that a bear had walked over my tracks from yesterday. A 9mm would probably just make him mad, but one in the eye hole might slow him down.

sdf,

Plenty of rattlesnakes in the California goldfields, but I haven't seen any illegals or treehungers this season. Those that hunt with me know my weapon of choice, "double stack bigfoot slayer"

LuckyLundy

The current regs. in Ca say that a fishing license is not required and there is is no restriction on taking rattle snake.

Highbanker. Luckily the Arizona Black is one of the least aggressive rattlers because they often won't rattle. I've run into lots of them in the Bradshaw mountains especially in areas where the is lots of manzanita brush. As SDF learned, sometimes it's best to just leave rattlers alone.----Bob

Hey SDF, when did you work for Boulder PD? I was on the Fire Dept. there from 78-89. Greg Dahlgren

I was in Boulder at the same time. We may have responded to some of the same calls. Remember the old plectron tone alert? Hot calls with ambulance or fire were always alerted by tone. Made my poor rookie heart skip a beat every time. One of my rookie class mates was Mark Beckner who went on to become chief during the Jon Benet fiasco. I left after one year to return to AZ and ultimately to the Feds.

Archived