Guido at the Bazaar...Lapis Lazuli

Well...finally a day off. I went to the Bazaar here in Kandahar Air Base. There is allot of bootleg stuff that's for sure. Gucci to Oakley...yea...I'm sure its real! I did find some of the beautiful blue stone Lapis Lazuli; mined here in Afghanistan. I bought a four/five pound rock. It will look good on the desk. Guido

post-21178-129696026094_thumb.jpg

Dayam, I love that stuff. I have made a few very nice pieced of jewelry from it. Also it looks like someone in the background is selling gems, do you know what they have?

IMG_1364.jpg

Hello El Dorado...yea, all kinds of stuff here...No AK-47's tho... there are many booths here that sell gems stones. The GI's and civilians barter and study the gems with an eye magnifying glass. I dont really know what kind of gems there are, I never did take a look. I imagine all the semi precious stone are there. Some more booth pictures...Check out the two guys with the horned helmets on in the guitar picture! Guido

post-21178-129696096257_thumb.jpg

post-21178-129696100677_thumb.jpg

Sure wish there was a way I could be there....... loads of treasures in those pictures. In your first pic, the rock with the tag showing looks great and that tall one in the middle that looks like the Matterhorn looks top dog too. Darn, I like that stuff.

Yeah El Dorado, I agree, those are great pictures.

I have read that Afghanistan has immense gold deposits too,

can't remember where I saw that, but the article was going

on and on about the 'untapped riches' there.

It an a amazing place but it doesn't look like we'll be seeing

it any time soon as travelers anyway.

Thanks again Guido, stay safe.

Flak

Yeah El Dorado, I agree, those are great pictures.

I have read that Afghanistan has immense gold deposits too,

can't remember where I saw that, but the article was going

on and on about the 'untapped riches' there.

It an a amazing place but it doesn't look like we'll be seeing

it any time soon as travelers anyway.

Thanks again Guido, stay safe.

Flak

I have seen pictures of Lapis from Afghanistan with gold veins running through it, really nice looking stuff!!

Skip

Archived