Any help, suggestions or comment please. My machine seems to be running O.K. but I have an issue when I find a target and put the machine down to dig it starts worbaling out of controll, then when I reach to turn down the thershold it stops, then I noticed if I try to keep the machine next to me while digging it is stable, thats not to convenent though... Whats going on ?? Thanks John.. It is a GPX 4500 w 12x15 mono

"Worbaling" is usually caused by EMI...I would imagin that when you set the detector down , the coil faces the horizon. As a result , the coil will pick up EMI, and usually alot of it depending on your geographic position.........

dirtdigger,

I say the samething as El Dorado. Coil needs to be face down, your hot spot on that coil is the very top center and the lower left handside, say 8 O'clock position. Check your powercord and your coil cord to make sure they are tight with a good connection at both ends...don't have your coil cord to tightly wrapped or to loose, it has to be just right. You can expect some noise if you have some metal on while your down digging next to your detector. Good luck.

LuckyLundy

If what el d and others have said does not work , check to be sure your connections are tight,is the power cable stretched out? hopefully it is a side up coil.

Do you have the montana coil wire stabilizer, that is manditory,

Thanks guys, Denny I'm not sure what a Montana coil wire is? Rick and Steve I have the coil flat on the ground, I will check to make sure the wire itself is not to tight. One modification I do Have is a short power cable from my main battery that is mounted next to the machine via a eurikaworx cover, battery pouch combo. It's just weird because when I keep it close to me, or reach for the machine it becomes dead quiet :wacko:

Well, the coil is flat... that busts my theory all to the hot spot! Just for the heck of it, try going back to all factory settings for bit. Are you using a signal booster with your side mounted battery? I had that problem with one of Doc's, sent it back for a replacement and that was my problem at the time but I was using a 4000.

Just one more thought, when you put your detector down, How close is your headphone wire getting to the coil?

Thanks Steve,I went out back and checked all the numbers, then checked where the headphone wire was when I put the coil down, the battery I use is the stock battery that has the built in amp. What I found is that when the coil is down the headphone wire is coming rite across the coil wire, that's easy I can just put it on the other side. while I was out the machine really went wild, so I took your suggestion and reset to factory settings, now it's nice and quite again and very stable, the settings really were not off to far from factory after comparing, maybe it's like a reboot when you go back to factory. I'll see next time out, possibly Sunday? Thanks for the advise John

• Admin

Hey Nvdirtdigger,

Sorry I missed out on this post earlier. All the members gave great suggestions, some of the same thoughts I had when you first posted. Sometimes you almost have to be there to hear what is going on to troubleshoot it.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Rob Allison

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hello NV,

That is a problem that many have with noise. They start cranking their settings too high (hot) and realize they pick up more noise, including EMI. You don't have to crank the newer units up too much, I have gotten great results on depth and even senstivity with factory default settings or a bit over them.

I think cranking the unit up too high can cause you to potential loose really faint, deep targets.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Thank You Rob, I took the settings off an Aussie site but I'm not sure if it was for the coil I was using, and definitely not the hot ground they have there. It was fun to experiment "and annoying" with it, but I do agree; why not use as much gain as you can possibly use. so lesson learned. It was definitely finding the targets but I couldn't stand to dig it... Sooooo I guess I just need to find a digger :lol:

Archived