GPS info needed

Holla ameegos...

Well, im looking into getting a GPS.

Very confused with all the options and such that is out there.

Ive never used one and have always relied on the sun, mountains, landmarks to get in and out so I wont be using it to save me from getting lost.

What I would like to do with it is punch in coordinates from google maps and then get to those areas using the GPS.

I dont need a expensive model with all the bells and wistles....just something that will do the above.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction??? Or may have a unit they want to sell? Im in Peoria Az.

Tks

Tom H.

Tom,

A really good GPS unit to get would be the Garmin eTrex Legend or the Vista HCx. I had 3 different Garmin units (Oregon 550T, Vista HCx, Nuvi 500) but now only have 2 and for prospecting and hunting I use the Vista. It is kind of pricey at $249 (REI.com) but it is an awesome unit. WAAS Enabled High Sensitivity Receiver, 3rd Axis Electronic Compass, Barometric Altimeter, Color Display, Expandable Memory, Joystick Navigation, plus more. They are lightweight and run approximately 16-20 hours on 2 AA batteries. Every now and then you can find them on sale at Bass Pro in a kit for about $180.

Garmin is indeed releasing a new eTrex line but at this point there is still no guaranteed release date available. They are still in the production phase and are looking at a late 4th quarter release. Hope this helps.

Chris

I just bought a new Etrex. My old one (probably 12 to 15 years old) finally gave up the ghost. I bought the Vista HCX. I didn't know they were coming out with new models until after I purchased of course. So far I am really pleased with the performance. With the addition of a couple free file converters you can transfer google earth data right to the GPS. Works great. Here is the converter I used My link If you search around a it you will find directions on how to make it happen.

Good luck

I use the Garmin Oregon 450t, it allows google maps image overlays. A gps unit that can be used with google maps overlays are a little more pricier than a regular gps showing your position. Also consider how long the batterys last, how bright the unit displays in the sunlight, some units its real hard to see the screen in daylight. Your best option would be go to a gps retailer, and check out several units.

Holla ameegos...

Well, im looking into getting a GPS.

Very confused with all the options and such that is out there.

Ive never used one and have always relied on the sun, mountains, landmarks to get in and out so I wont be using it to save me from getting lost.

What I would like to do with it is punch in coordinates from google maps and then get to those areas using the GPS.

I dont need a expensive model with all the bells and wistles....just something that will do the above.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction??? Or may have a unit they want to sell? Im in Peoria Az.

Tks

Tom H.

Have a Garmin GPSmap 76 with "low hours" on it. Used to carry it in my jeep but never used it. I live in Sun City West and would sell it reasonable?? (or so I think).HAs current database and original manuals, new computer link ccable and power supply cord for cigarette lighter charging.

Check out the Bushnell Back Track if you are looking for a very basic, inexpensive, easy to read and use unit.

Thanks All for the input.

Im looking to get a Garmin Etrex venture.

Prices arent too bad on E bay. :)

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Tom

I think I'm goin for the etrex venture HC, even though they are comming out with new models soon I'm goin for it anyway. It will be my 1st experience with a GPS and Fred's advise to me was it will do all that I need as a beginner without expending a ton of money.

Thanks an a tip o the hat to Fred M.

I'm buying a second etrex vista hcx then! i love mine and couldn't do without it. The only issue i've had with it is the rubber border around the unit. It gets loose over time. I have put thousands of hours on mine hunting gold and bucks from ca to idaho. This unit holds all the western US topo on it!

Archived