Back from our trip

Well, I wish I had a terrific gold finding story to relay, but I don't. BUT.....we had a real good time spending time in the motherlode country. Unfortunately we ended up going to the Italian Bar LDMA claim instead of Rye Patch because we didn't want to risk sleeping in a tent out there as we were warned about. The landscape was beautiful, but I did solidify my decision of not joining the LDMA.

We got to run the sluice and the power sluice, and even a little bit of detecting. The place is absolutely covered with "trash" and my detector would literally sound of with every step. I dug up more square nails than I have years in my life, but I learned a lot at the same time. More to come....

Well, I wish I had a terrific gold finding story to relay, but I don't. BUT.....we had a real good time spending time in the motherlode country. Unfortunately we ended up going to the Italian Bar LDMA claim instead of Rye Patch because we didn't want to risk sleeping in a tent out there as we were warned about. The landscape was beautiful, but I did solidify my decision of not joining the LDMA.

We got to run the sluice and the power sluice, and even a little bit of detecting. The place is absolutely covered with "trash" and my detector would literally sound of with every step. I dug up more square nails than I have years in my life, but I learned a lot at the same time. More to come....

Chris:

Good that you got out and had fun. :)

Gold is good to find..but sometimes just getting away and enjoying the outdoors is even better.

Tom

We did have fun and loved the scenery. Went through Old Town Columbia and saw some really interesting places and sights. The old fashioned Stage Coach was awesome. Went into a couple of the museums they had there and learned a lot about the gold rush up there and got to see some old mining equipment. Got to meet Ken, the owner of 49'er Mining Supply. He was a really cool guy.

Didn't really run into too many people there DOC. There were probably a dozen or so trailers and a couple of tents there, but everyone seemed to just hang out in their trailers or sit around in front of the clubhouse talking. Only us and one other person was actually doing any prospecting the whole time we were there. I did however get to see some things that helped put a lot of what I have learned here into perspective as far as indicators for gold. The soil up there was SOOOO red is was unbelievable. I'm thinking I'm gonna have pink socks and underwear when they get out of the wash...lol.

Hey Chris: What was the warning you got about Rye Patch? I am thinking about going there in a couple of weeks!

Masher: We were going to stay in a tent and were warned about high winds, lots of fine dust, plenty of critters, and really sharp nasty rocks leading into the area. Not too bad except for the sharp rocks part, but since all the motels and hotels in Winnemucca and Lovelock were all booked up for the weekend, we decided to go there another time. Hope this helps, but I hope it doesn't deter you from going either. I've been told it is a real fine area. Just be sure to check for updated claim information. Good luck!

About two weeks ago we were going through there, and from lovelock to golconda it was the worst pea soup i've ever seen! Ha ha The flat lander conductor i had thought it was fog! You could barely see 30 ft. I've been down in the valley when i thought it was bad, but this was nuts. It woulda sucked to be anywhere out there that night.

That is the first place I ever prospected,,, Actually about 1/4th of a mile down stream.. That place is like swiss cheese packed with poop and garbage.. As for the LDMA mine.. No thanks,, Go to Washington, Ca. and prospect in the Golden Quartz area and show the local economy a lil love,, They need it. I love the bar and stay at the campsite called "River Resort" They had a horrible accident this year,. The owner.. A husband and father of two hit a boulder clearing snow on his quad and lost his life early,, Left the wife kids ands a resort to run.. Good folks there.. And some of the most impressive tailings I have EVER seen,,

Ugs

Ugs.....I was really wanting to hit either Rye Patch or Northern California (Washington, Downieville, Grass Valley) but my prospecting buddy is a member of LDMA and he wanted to go there, and since he was driving, guess where we ended up. I am definitely going to get up that way soon. And I will also be able to spend more than just a day there. Was supposed to be a 3 day "prospecting" trip but ended up being two days of driving and one day of prospecting...lol.

Chris, are you still hunting for your first nugget with a detector?

Sure do know the feeling of getting into an area where you know there a bit or two of gold left but it's hinding in all the junk.

Hope to see some pictures of some BIG yellow rocks from you soon..... :D

I'm really hoping it cools off around here soon. I haven't been out hunting in months really because of my wedding, the weather and the trailer build. I got to get out behind the Minelab SOON, really got cabin fever. :wacko::wacko:

AzOVERLAND....I have actually already found only one nugget with a gold bug pro, but I traded it to the owner of the shop that did the repair work on my truck a couple months ago. It was only worth about $80 at the time but he gave me $200 in credit towards the repairs, so I did okay there. I have been back to that spot quite a few times and have not found anything else.

You're right. It really is frustrating when you know that gold has been found in an area by everyone except you...lol. I will not be deterred though. I just need to really, really learn this 3000 and learn the research part of prospecting to be successful. I have some very friendly offers on the table that I will be taking from some of the great folks here on the forum. I can't wait to meet these fine folks and learn the ins and outs of detecting. Then those photos you speak of will be all over this board...hahaha. Take care.

Chris, don't be discouraged. You have good equipment and more than basic knowledge. Like Terry Soloman had said, just put the time in. Get out there, study the terrain, you can actually see where ancient river channels once ran. You know your detector settings. Look for mineralization, round washed rocks and sample panning. Hard rock quartz veins, cracked bedrock all these things you have learned. Simply, gold is where you find it. In the meantime, let our good Earth take you out for an adventure and enjoy.

Chris,

From someone who lives in Reno and has spent a lot of time around the Rye Patch area(although not looking for gold) the warnings are all way over rated. I wouldn't think twice about any of them except for making sure I had LT rated tires and not P rated ones. I wouldn't leave the pavement with P rated tires. They'll go flat if you even look at them very hard. I've been blasting down the Nevada outback roads all my life and have yet to to get a flat. The roads to Rye Patch are not even close to being bad if you have the proper tires. There will normally be afternoon winds but not usually anything to have to worry about. Critters? You'll be lucky to see any.

All Nevada is dusty. Not any worse at the Patch than anywhere else. You're gonna get dirty if you're diggin' in the dirt. If you want to go to Rye Patch just have the right tires. Don't drive too fast on the dirt roads and you'll be fine. Bring lots of water, sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat and have fun.

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

Great description of hunting in the Rye Patch area.

It should make Chris feel more comfortable about going there.

As far as the surroundings are concerned, I think Rye Patch

is the single most pleasant detecting experience I have ever had.

Yes the roads are tough, yes it has been pounded and it can get windy, stormy, hot,

but that should not give anyone pause,

It is a beautiful place to hunt and one of the big reasons it continues to

be one of the most popular detecting destinations in the west..

Archived