Cleaning Arizona Gold Nuggets, Part 1 & 2

• Admin

Hello All,

Sometime ago I found some nice, rough gold nuggets out of a wash. I know the source, probably long weathered away, was close due to the roughness of the gold. In the videos below you will see how I used the GemOro Ultrasonic cleaner with heat to clean the 26.4 Gram batch of gold. You can see what the nuggets looked like originally and then after they are cleaned in the second video clip.

I personally don't like to use any chemicals, such as acids to clean gold nuggets. I find it takes the nature luster away from the gold, almost making them look fake. The solution I use with the GemOro is the Magic Green, which is a gold and silver cleaner.

I cleaned this batch of gold for about 5 minutes with heat. What a huge difference it makes!

Cleaning Gold with GemOro, Part 1

Cleaning Gold with GemOro, Part 2

This batch of gold will be up for sale, make me an offer if you're serious.

Hope you enjoyed.

Rob Allison

David... the unit is an ultrasonic cleaner..... the sound coming out of the unit is almost impossible to cover up/hide with anything, especially from the over the top of it. Putting a lid on it helps a bunch.

I have been using one of these for years and they do work extremely well. Simple green is also a very good cleaning concentrate to use instead of a commercial cleaner. Also a side note, when using an ultrasonic cleaner, it is best NOT to have your items to be cleaned resting on the bottom of the unit, It is hard on the ultrasonic transducer/s. Second if you look at the nuggets under a microscope you will see the surface of the nugget will sometimes get a bit pounded from the sonic action and the bottom of the cleaner. You should use a basket that suspends the nuggets or whatever is being cleaned. I know it is being picky cause you cannot see the new surface with the naked eye but it is still there and the transducer is an expensive item to replace.

Hi El Dorado,

Thanks for the info about the ultra-sonic part...I actually understand what it is and how it works

but was telling Rob that if he wanted to be heard over that noise he'd maybe

have to find another way to film it.

I really like the part about suspending the gold in a little basket and not setting it onto the bottom,

a very useful point and one I had not heard.

All the best,

Flak

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the sound quality, didn't notice until the videos were uploaded.

As for laying them on the bottom, been doing it for years and never had a problem. I'm sure if the nuggets weights enough it would make a small mark, but I doubt anyone would ever notice it with a naked eye. I do own a wire basket for the GemOro, but most of these small nuggets will fall through it. Also, if you place something in the bottom of the basket to keep the nuggets from falling through, then you loose most of your vibration action.

I have cleaned thousands of nuggets in this little guy, but do appreciate the comments. I would be more concerned on something that is very heavy in weight or very crystalline.

Sorry once again for the audio. Hope you still enjoyed.

Rob Allison

Hi Rob

I wonder who the genius was that talked you into that machine :unsure: ?? The heater is really not needed if one starts with hot water :mellow: . Even cold water will get hot from the vibration if you run it long enough :huh: . Always use the basket on delicate specimens of wire, leaf or real porous :) !! The green wonder is amazing on stained or discolored gold :) !! Happy Huntin John B.

I don't know guys for myself it's just white vinegar will bring out the luster in the gold after about two weeks or less.I just move it around in the vinegar with my finger from time to time but it won't get the hard dirt out but it's cheap.If nothing else you can use that old tooth brush you been using on you and the dog to clean the dirt out.

Chuck Anders

Archived