First Year of Nugget Hunting

After 40 plus years of relic hunting obsession for Civil War artifacts I stumbled on an old friend that dearly needed cash for a GPX 4500. The price was very affordable so I planned to resell the detector on Ebay and make a few bucks. Somehow I permitted a couple buds to armtwist me into detecting for nuggets in a well known local panning site and they agreed to be diggers. Well, the first trip I found 6 nuggets and I was hooked. To date, I have detected in a few Virginia sites and found over 250, maybe 300 nuggets,I don't keep count anymore, around 19.50 ozt. First off, nugget hunting is a heck of alot more difficult than relic hunting. To give credit where credit is due, I found this site,saw the small nuggets guys were digging in the western states, called Rob, asked a bunch of questions, received a bunch of honest answers, and purchased a Coiltek 14X9 mono and the same spots that produce a few nuggets with the 11" DD were soon giving up numerous one gram pieces. Since then I purchased, from Rob of course, a Coiltek DD 9" and bigboy 18" Coiltek mono and each have a purpose for those trashy or deep yielding sites. Rob shared a few tips and a couple setting that were very helpful. Along the way I purchased a Gold Screamer that really separated those small pieces that you will see in the following pictures. All in all, relic hunting is still a passion, but the payday finding the yellow stuff is very rewarding. I will be 61 years old on Friday and have a good judge of the good guys so thanks Rob and Doc! Oh, by the way, I split my finds with the two guys that twisted my arm.

That is flipping amazing.

People don't realize that most of the things Rob and I sell are meant to enhance your detecting in such a way that they pay for themselves. I just can't imagine detecting without a Gold Screamer amplifier.

I know how it makes those little dinks pop, when without it you wouldn't hear it at all.

Still, that is just an amazing haul for your first year. Pretty gold!

Doc

Archived