Watch what you toss out!

• Admin

Hello All,

Been extremely busy on my end, but wanted to show at least the newbies out there what they could be tossing out. The nuggets shown are nuggets I found that are coated with Maganese Oxide, or dubbed "Black Gold." A friend of mine, Dr. Erik Melchiorre is actually studying them now to find out their orgin and where the source might have been. If you notice in the middle, one nugget shows a bit of gold, but the others are coated pretty heavy. This coating will come off with just simple scrubbing with the use of a toothbrush, soap and tap water.

Dr. Erik Melchiorre believes the coating could be some type of bacteria.

Just thought you all would like to see. The nuggets were all found with a Minelab GPX 5000 metal detector and a Coiltek searchcoil.

Biggest piece on the right is just over 1/4 ounce in weight.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello All,

Been extremely busy on my end, but wanted to show at least the newbies out there what they could be tossing out. The nuggets shown are nuggets I found that are coated with Maganese Oxide, or dubbed "Black Gold." A friend of mine, Dr. Erik Melchiorre is actually studying them now to find out their orgin and where the source might have been. If you notice in the middle, one nugget shows a bit of gold, but the others are coated pretty heavy. This coating will come off with just simple scrubbing with the use of a toothbrush, soap and tap water.

Dr. Erik Melchiorre believes the coating could be some type of bacteria.

Just thought you all would like to see. The nuggets were all found with a Minelab GPX 5000 metal detector and a Coiltek searchcoil.

Biggest piece on the right is just over 1/4 ounce in weight.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Oh Great!...I must have thrown about a hundred of those away. :)

Very interesting to say the least....

Glad you didnt toss them and have someone to figure out what they were...

Tom H.

I agree, Rob I remember reading a story about a guy that picked up some black nuggets down in SW Az. They were right on the surface. the only reason he had them checked is because they seemed rather heavy. turned out they were gold nuggets coated in zinc or magnesium. AzNuggetBob

During my second trip to Oz we were somewhere in Western Australia when Colin found a solid black target...he thought it was a strange iron-stone hot rock...I thought it was way to heavy to be stone...I turned and touched the rock looking for gold, no trace was visible...Colin said to give it a toss...with nothing to lose I got a little rough and the black rock cracked like an egg and therein was a pretty little nugget...this really was like a shell of ironstone, not just a coating...weird but true...

fred

Archived