Bought a GP3000 and did the gold button mod

Just thought I'd post it. I sold my TDI pro and bought a GP3000 and did the tracking button mod. Not too bad but I was nervous about cracking open that box! :unsure: Took my time and I think it came out clean and works great. Nice improvement for the 3000.

post-29631-0-31602800-1325562046_thumb.j

post-29631-0-53338900-1325562061_thumb.j

post-29631-0-68624800-1325562080_thumb.j

post-29631-0-92460100-1325562092_thumb.j

post-29631-0-31376500-1325562104_thumb.j

post-29631-0-06555300-1325562125_thumb.j

Grat Job done and very neat finish there.

Next time you maybe take the front endcap off here's a little help tip, you would have noticed when the box was open

that the very external edges of the actual box always have some of the blue paint over spray on them, take a small peice of

fine grit paper and just take off the over spray so its nice and clean on the edge.

This allows the front panel shielding foil to make a better contact with the case and gives a better shielding effect from

EMI and also improves the smoothnes of your detector, i have done this to all of my Minelab Pulses to great effect..

Pete in WA B)

Grat Job done and very neat finish there.

Next time you maybe take the front endcap off here's a little help tip, you would have noticed when the box was open

that the very external edges of the actual box always have some of the blue paint over spray on them, take a small peice of

fine grit paper and just take off the over spray so its nice and clean on the edge.

This allows the front panel shielding foil to make a better contact with the case and gives a better shielding effect from

EMI and also improves the smoothnes of your detector, i have done this to all of my Minelab Pulses to great effect..

Pete in WA B)

Thanks for the tip! Do you think that little area around the socket where I removed the foil will cause any problems? I followed instructions on the web and they said to do this.

Thanks for the tip! Do you think that little area around the socket where I removed the foil will cause any problems? I followed instructions on the web and they said to do this.

No, it needs to done like you have done it.

Pete B)

I have had several people ask for the gold button, but I thought the company that was making them had stopped. Is there someone now selling them again?

Thanks!

Doc

I have had several people ask for the gold button, but I thought the company that was making them had stopped. Is there someone now selling them again?

Thanks!

Doc

Yes, Radio Shack! :)

Seriously though, this is a DIY project I got instructions for off the net. You basically buy a $4 momentary pushbutton from radio shack and then use whatever method you want to splice it into the two wires going to the factory fixed/tracking switch.

• Admin

Hey wjbell,

Congrats on getting a Minelab. The GP3000 is a great detector. I still remember when it first came out, big improvement over the unstable GP Extreme. There are also mods available, but most are done in Australia.

Very nice job on the ground balance button.

I used to the sell the "Gold Button" for around $100. Looks like you done the exact same think for much less.

The company that manufactured the "Gold Button" went under. I used to order directly from them towards the end. I recommend doing your own, just like wjbell done.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey wjbell,

Congrats on getting a Minelab. The GP3000 is a great detector. I still remember when it first came out, big improvement over the unstable GP Extreme. There are also mods available, but most are done in Australia.

Very nice job on the ground balance button.

I used to the sell the "Gold Button" for around $100. Looks like you done the exact same think for much less.

The company that manufactured the "Gold Button" went under. I used to order directly from them towards the end. I recommend doing your own, just like wjbell done.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob.. I've heard about the mods from the guy in Australia, can make a 3000 compete with the newer models. Gotta save up my allowance or find some gold first! ;) But yeah, excited about finally getting into a minelab! Workin with somebody on a coil right now (used) then probably looking at a pocket rocket system and a gold screamer... I'll be calling you for those.

Boys and their toys... :D

Archived