HOW DO I test the chargers on the pocket rocket system

Hey DOC or ROB;

I have the pocket rocket system for my 3500...I think one or both of the chargers are not functioning correctly...one charger is only about 18 months old and the other may be 4 or 5 years old...what tests can I do to determine if they are still ok?

Also, Rob, I don't see the chargers or batteries on your web site...

fred

• Admin

Hey Fred,

Here is where you can see the Li-ion batteries on my site - Batteries and Power Supplies Scroll down the page and you will see - replacement li-ion batteries for $45 each.

I also have the chargers, they are $35 each, but a newer version. I'm going to have them on the site today, under the same category - Batteries and Power Supplies.

I normally test the charger by seeing how much input it has going out. I do this by using a multi-meter in DC voltage to see what it shows when you touch both terminals. I believe it should be like 12v if I rememeber correct, but let me double check again before you attempt it. Normally when the charger fails, the output voltate is less, like 10 volts, or at least this is what I have experienced on the bad ones I have tested.

Hey DOC or ROB;

I have the pocket rocket system for my 3500...I think one or both of the chargers are not functioning correctly...one charger is only about 18 months old and the other may be 4 or 5 years old...what tests can I do to determine if they are still ok?

Also, Rob, I don't see the chargers or batteries on your web site...

fred

Fred.

I ran into that. Both my batteries would not charge.

It was the charger....mine was less then a year old. Guess they just go out.

From now on I check the charge when I put them on the detector.

I found out mine was not charging by having a dead battery out in the field. :(

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Fred,

Sorry it took a bit to get back with you. I tested several bad chargers today, even the newest style and when they are good they should be putting out in the range of 8.5 volts. When they are bad, it's 3 volts or less.

What you need to do is plug the charger into a AC 110v source and use a multimeter to check the terminals to see what voltage you're getting. If it's around 8 or better than the charger is good. If you're only reading about 3 volts or less, then the charger is faulty.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Archived