New Gold at and Old Patch!

I really needed to clean up the yard, after a nice storm blew through our part of the country. So after my chores Sunday and plenty of day light left, I called my hunting partner up for and afternoon hunt. We set our sights on a patch we hunted all Winter in hopes of a fat one mixed in with the trash or extending the patch. I was armed with my 12 x 15 Commander Mono and my Pard with the 11" Commander Mono. I know the mathamatical numbers say the bigger the coil the deeper it will pick up a target? Bigger is Better? I really don't know, I and several of my hunting partners have dug up very deep nuggets with small coils. I will say that the bigger coils have a bigger sweet spot! Overlapping your coil swing is a must in a patch of gold and a old patch you need to swing your coil painstakingly, Slow! This slow pace swing gives your PI detector enough time to send back a signal to your coil...I call it "Letting you P's dot the I's" I have a ton of old patches and this method works in everyone of them. Most the time your target signal will not be a classic sound, more of a noisey spot or just a whisper of a sound that can be mistaking for ground noise and not even heard at a normal swing speed. "Every Day is a Different Day" in and old patch I often say. You think you have them clean out, but swing through a week or so later and you'll pull more nuggets out! Our sport is no different than any other, positive mind set is important. For you all just starting out, nuggets make many different sounds on your detector...I say "Dig Them all and let the Scoop Sort Them Out". My Pard, ended up with one at 1 gram right before we headed out and I dug up this one out 15 or more inches deep...just a noisey spot at first, but sounded real sweet the deeper I dug! Until or Next Hunt and keep them coils Low & Slow.

LuckyLundy

3.3 dwt

4mar12.jpg

Lucky:

Good going! Thats a nice nugget. :)

Glad your going over your patches and still pulling them out.

Tom H.

Ron,

Mono Coils are my first choice to swing. You know my part of the country, tons of trash targets left by the old-timers. You can't find a ravine or hillside to swing a coil without trash. So in my neck of the woods the DD Coil is a player to find color. As you know, there are still tons of trash that will not break until it is in the scoop. Most of our patches have a ton of trash in them, like I was saying when out patch hunting in trashy areas I like to swing a DD Coil to find the shallow ducks and to establish the patch with. Once, the easy pickings are in your poke then the Mono Coils come out. The DD Coil is a player as the patch is getting old too! All the big booming trash sounding targets need to be checked and dug (they mask a good target)...plus I've had a many a fat nugget want to break as a bad target. Hence "Dig Them all and Let the Scoop Sort Them Out". I'd love to live in a area with no trash with a Mono Coil on the business end dig nuggets for the most part...maybe one day! Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

Southside...I will answer your speed question from my point of view...slow is slower than slow...like pouring molasses on a cold day or maybe pouring honey on a warm day...this is not a method suited to patch hunting...nor for the impatient...

You can also check a target in tracking by going very slowly over the area...if it is mineral it will gb out...if metal you will still get a signal...you have to prove this to yourself by digging the signals that gb-out until you trust the machine...

fred

South side, Fred is correct! Slower than slow is to fast! My step speed is less than 1 foot, heel to toe, stop finish the swing and heel to toe step again. To make up for the extra slow speed. I picked up some of Doc's long coil shafts, I can cover more ground with my little steps and extra slow swing speed. Now I'm not saying this technique works in every patch. You have to know if there is deep gold to be found. I was out today watching a friends buddy swing my friends GP 3000, I know he had to go home with a sore arm. He was working it super fast...I didn't tell him any difference because he found a 2.3 dwt nugget! I might have to give his technique a shot or two.

Kelly, your right I haven't been posting much...tired when I get home from digging to many holes!

Chris, I don't know if I'll make the gold show, might have one out in the gold patch instead. Stop by on the way home for a days worth of detecting!

LuckyLundy

Thanks Lucky, I'll try the low and slow technique. I do happen to have a patch or two that has real deep red dirt that I suspect holds some deep nuggets, found plenty on the top two feet. One time I took my glass probe that I use for finding antique bottles in out-houses, and probed down through one of the patches and never hit bottom with the probe. Probe is five feet long. By the way, I'm 100 or so miles south of you boys in the American River area if that's where you're at. Thanks again, Southside

Ron,

Mono Coils are my first choice to swing. You know my part of the country, tons of trash targets left by the old-timers. You can't find a ravine or hillside to swing a coil without trash. So in my neck of the woods the DD Coil is a player to find color. As you know, there are still tons of trash that will not break until it is in the scoop. Most of our patches have a ton of trash in them, like I was saying when out patch hunting in trashy areas I like to swing a DD Coil to find the shallow ducks and to establish the patch with. Once, the easy pickings are in your poke then the Mono Coils come out. The DD Coil is a player as the patch is getting old too! All the big booming trash sounding targets need to be checked and dug (they mask a good target)...plus I've had a many a fat nugget want to break as a bad target. Hence "Dig Them all and Let the Scoop Sort Them Out". I'd love to live in a area with no trash with a Mono Coil on the business end dig nuggets for the most part...maybe one day! Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

JP said a Mono coil can be swung faster than a DD coil. (It is due to the inherent design or reaction of Mono coils when used on Minelab PI's that allows this. Even though the design of DD coils give them more ground coverage than Mono coils.)

I also heard a large Mono coil needs to be swung slower (to take in a more surface area of ground minerals), so this means a small Mono coil can be swung faster than a large round Mono coil.

If I am on the subject of the behavior of coils then. Someone wrote, "I beleive it goes something like this, small mono the noisiest up to the large mono then across to the large DD then down to the quietest the small DD. Don't quote me on this though."

LuckyLundy, to get straight what you said above, do you use your DD coil in Discrimination Mode on your GPX.??

BB,

While patch hunting, I use a normal swing speed which might be faster than some but slower than others! Sometimes, with a DD Coil on...I might even use the patch mode, it has a very fast response to targets at a faster swing speed. Remember, when swinging on new ground, patch hunting, your looking for that one nugget. Let's say, you found that one nugget and then a couple more in the same area. If the nuggets are shallow, you can speed around the patch to establish it's boundary pulling all the ducks off the pond, be it with a Mono or DD Coil. Mono Coils are more sensitive at a faster swing speed than a DD, IMHO. Yet, I've found super small bit's of steel with a DD, but not at the depth as common with a Mono. Small Mono Coils such as the 8" Commander are very stable same with the Coiltek & Advantage small coils. These small coils will pull gold out of and old patch. I like using a small coil in the hot spots of a patch after I pounded it with all my larger coils, they will surprise you! When I swing my biggest coil 12x24 Advantage during a patch hunt it's at my normal speed swing and not the very slow speed in and old patch. Yes, have your Discrimination on with your DD Coil...I have mine on the highest number! Recognizing a likely targets is the most important, this sound has to travel a ways and then time for you brain to process it. So the longer you hear that sound the more you can process that sound to your memory bank of nugget sounds...Low & Slow

LuckyLundy

Archived