Coiltek Wallaby: Real or Fake?

Hello everyone. I have been trying to sell a Coiltek Wallaby coil for almost 2 weeks now with no success, and I just realized when looking at Coiltek's website that the Wallaby I have has different marking on it than those pictured on their site. On eBay there is only 2 listings for the same coil I have (1 DD & 1 Mono) with the same stickers and NO completed listing results.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this coil? Why are the stickers different? Is there a way to tell if it is a fake? How old would this model be? I just don't want to be selling something that is a fake and not know that I am doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

2463660680104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Chris

Your coil is deffinately not a fake, the reason why the stickers are different is the sticker on your coil

was the old sticker used when john Gladdis and John Kah owned Coiltek.

When Trevor bought the setup he changed the name to Coiltek Manufacturing and also started

using the new Coiltek Logo stickers which you see on his website...

Pete B)

Pete, thank you very much for clearing that up for me. Can you tell me what a fair price would be to ask for this coil? I thought $200 would be fair considering they list for right around $450 or so on Rob and Doc's site, but nobody even so much as asked about it. Again, thank you so much for the reply.

• Admin

Hey Chris,

That is a real Coiltek Wallaby Mono you have there. I couldn't tell you how much gold I found with that coil here in Arizona, California and many years in Alaska. One of the most bullet proof, solid Coiltek coils ever made. They used to sell for about $349.00 if I remember correctly, but that was many years ago.

I actually have a used Mono and DD Pro that I still have around.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Chris

Those solid coils are no longer manufactured but are as Rob said a very good and favoured coil still.

I would think a good price would be around us$180.00 or so.

I have both a 17x11DD Pro and a 17x11 Anti - interference coils that i will be selling very soon, they retail for au$375.00

here in Australia, i will be asking au$160.00 each or will swap either for a Commander 8" Mono coil.

Good luck with the sale and out on the gold also

Pete B)

That is an excellent coil and runs very nicely on my 3500...Buying a used coil can be a crapshoot, Chris...perhaps if you sell to a local so they can give it a run first.?.?

Also, many nubbies only want the newest hot-thing being sold, especially if they have a 5000...

fred

Thank you for the responses everyone. I am glad to know it is an authentic coil. The only reason I am selling it is because I already have the Nugget Finder 17" Advantage Mono, so I figured I don't need two big coils. If it doesn't sell then I guess I will just keep it and use it myself. Never hurts to have a back-up coil.

Fred, I understand about buying used coils. I always offer a money back guarantee on items I sell, but this coil is new so should work fine. Thanks again.

That coil was originally sold to a guy named Gillis out of Long Beach CA in July of 2007. Does that ring any bells? I don't know who you bought it from.

It is a really old coil and that is what the stickers looked like back then.

Doc

Hello everyone. I have been trying to sell a Coiltek Wallaby coil for almost 2 weeks now with no success, and I just realized when looking at Coiltek's website that the Wallaby I have has different marking on it than those pictured on their site. On eBay there is only 2 listings for the same coil I have (1 DD & 1 Mono) with the same stickers and NO completed listing results.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this coil? Why are the stickers different? Is there a way to tell if it is a fake? How old would this model be? I just don't want to be selling something that is a fake and not know that I am doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

2463660680104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

DOC.....I bought it from Gold Fever Prospecting in Hesperia, Ca. I was told it belonged to Walter Evans (the ex-manager) and that he bought it new and never used it. I had no idea it was that old. I'll probably just end up throwing it away. Thanks for the info, DOC!

Chris, I bought one used from a forum member about 4 years ago and have had very good results with it ... A great coil ... As I recall I paid $175 for it and we met halfway between Prescott and Wickenburg for the exchange ... I felt the price was exactly as it should have been and feel I got great value ... Cheers, Unc

I have it up on ebay right now with a buy it now of $200 with free shipping. I also have it set to automatically accept any best offer of $175 or more. Since I now have the 8x6 Nugget Finder mono coil, the only reason it is up for sale is because I already have the 17" NF mono and didn't figure I needed the Wallaby. If there is a need for it over the NF then I have no problem keeping it.

Thanks all for the replies.

Well Chris, if you need to get rid of one of the 17" coils, then I'd do what you are doing ... I do have to say the older NF fiberglass coils are superior to any of the newer ones, whether NF or CT ... Just can't beat'em ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks, Unc. I really don't see it selling so I will more than likely end up keeping it, too. I did pay for It so I guess it wouldn't make sense to just throw it out. You all have said good things about it so it may be a blessing in disguise.

• 3 weeks later...