Ratio of Gold Nuggets being found

• Admin

Hello All,

I talk with a lot of customers daily, besides all the emails and PM's. One thing many guys talk about it finding those big gold nuggets. Well they are still out there, but the ratio is low compared to smaller gold. There are thousands of smaller nuggets under a few Dwt's compared to just one gold nugget over an ounce.

Here is an example of over 200 nuggets, only 4 of them over 1/4 ounce in weight. The three larger ones are in the 1 to 2.50 ounce range, but take a look at all the dinks and smaller .5 - 1.5 Gram sizes.

Just thought this would be a good conversation thread.

Rob Allison

Hello Rob,

Since running into you last weekend, and finding the two nuggets in the afternoon. The larger one weighing .3g, and the smaller one .1g. I have thought about just what I was doing different that afternoon compare to the last four months of beeping. That day I have switch coil from the Nugget Finder 14 x 9 to the MineLab 8" Comander coil. I really love the NF but I have just acquired the 8" and wanted to give it a try. I would like to think the NF would have found the .3g and even the .1g, the smallest nuggets that I have found with the 14 x 9 was a .4g skinny, flat nugget. Maybe I have become sloppy with the NF and my swings? Using the smaller 8" made me go slower, and made me concentrate on overlapping my swing, back to basic or a slap on the back of the head type thing. We can use the best of equipment, but if we don't use the basic technique of swinging low, swinging slow, and keeping that coil flat to the ground, we are going to miss nuggets. Also dig all targets, and let the scoop sort them out!

More Au to you, Robert

I cant even find dinks lately!

Oh wait...I havent been going out. :)

I was finding small ones prior to the heat setting in.

They all add up.

Ive also been very blessed to have found some nice big ones too :)

Tom H.

Yep, the elusive "One Ounce Nugget Club". Finding the big nuggets takes a little research to make sure the area your detecting has produced larger nuggets. Even in a area with big nugget discoveries, you'll find what I call Dink Patches. Some loaded with 1/2 dwt nuggets with a Bonus nugget of 3 dwt's tossed in to keep you hoping for the fat one. The patches with the big nuggets seem to produce them after you pulled the easy pickings. These easy picking or sitting ducks are the classic signals our Minelab's give us. We all tend to skip the off tone or booming targets on these duck days, thinking it's trash! After all the classic signals, you have to clear the trash. You'll surprise yourself with the nuggets hiding under trash targets and more amazing that fat shallow 1 oz'er faking you out as a chunk of scrap metal. Now that you have the trash removed (if your lucky) you can detect for the deep targets. This process is low and very slow. Your listening for the slightest signal, sound or change in your threshold, use headphones. I call this entire process "The Lake Powell", figuring how to get past all these surface busting shallow schooling Striped Bass (sitting ducks) to the deep big ones below! Good luck and dig all your targets in a patch, let the scoop sort them out to fill your poke!

LuckyLundy

Nice bunch o' nuggets, Rob ... All we need to really launch this discussion is a few gps coordinates (I prefer UTM but will accept Lat/Long in a pinch) ... ;):P ... I'm trying some Nor Cal patches for a couple weeks near my old stomping grounds ... Areas I prospected for 20+ years without a detector ... Many are virgin as far as detecting goes, so I've got my fingers crossed ... (Started out finding a dime in the drive way of our cabin this morning with my GMT ... ) I'm using four of my detectors this trip: GB1, GB2, GMT and ML GPX4500 ... Cheers, Unc

Luckylundy

I could not agree with you more, Below are some of my finds that back up what your saying.

Nugget#1- 3.25 ounces and was found in a hunted patch in Nevada about 6 inches under a canned milk can laying on the surface with detector holes all around it.

Nugget #2- 4.25 ounces Arizona nugget found 4 inches deep in a hard hit patch in the middle of a bunch of old back filled detector holes.

More than likely ignored as trash.very loud signal from two feet away.

Nugget #3 and #4 7.65 and 2.25 ounces.

There are two reasons I brought up these nuggets.

#1 I found these two nuggets at the top of a patch.

point is below them I found about a hundred smaller pieces that weighed right at 2 ounces.

This was one of those patches that the trophies out weighed the smaller gold. odd patch.

#2 These nuggets were also featured on the cover of the 24k Gold Club brochure.

They are also in the book Rich Hill The History of Arizona's Most Amazing Gold Distric on page 148.

I figured I may get some questions about this nugget.

There has been some confusion about this nugget.

The point I wanted to make here is this 7.65 ounce is not the same nugget described in the book as "a 7-ounce slug".

In fact there was a 7 ounce slug found by an Eskimo couple on the 24K claims but this is not the 7.65 nugget.

Nugget#1

goldnuggets005.jpg

Nugget#2

q-nugget001.jpg

Nuggets #3-4

goldnuggets002.jpg

Here is another photo of the 7.65 ounce nugget shortly after finding it , I was celebrating at the local mining town watering hole.

as a matter of fact the bartender washed it off for me and took the photo's.. now that's what I call service.

big001.jpg

Take care all. AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Roger - Actually I prefer my nuggets dirty. When I'm ready to sell them, the buyer can do whatever he wishes with them. If I do clean them, it's with just water, dish soap and a toothbrush or my GemOro if it's an ugly nugget. Some use harsh chemicals or clean the nuggets too much and it removes the natural gold nugget luster in my opinion. These super cleaned nuggets almost look fake.

Lucky - I have to agree 100%. Most of the patches I have found are full of grammers or Dwt nuggets, here and there a few larger pieces and maybe an ounce plus if you're lucky. If it's a really good patch, you might get several nuggets over an ounce.

Uncle Ron - Wishing you much luck in the N. California area. Keep us updated if you bump into sometime.

AZNuggetBob - Great looking nuggets. Sure wish I could go back about 20 years ago and hit some of those N. Nevada patches you guys were working. Great picture of you sitting at the "local watering hole." The food there now is better than it has ever been. If you're brave enough, try the "3 lb" hamburger! :wacko:

You still remember that day when you and Jim Malone rolled up on me and I showed you a 4.4 ounces I just found? This nugget was found down below it, not sure you ever seen this one.

3ouncer.jpg

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob, Nice nugget.

I should note the first one of mine is the only NV nugget the rest are all Arizona born and raised.

I did try one of those burgers, could not pull it off.

They should have renamed that place the heart attack grill.

I dont have any doubts you could pop some nice ones out of those patches with GPX 5000.

They are some killer patches and not so sure their dead yet.

I'm thinking about upgrading my 2100 is taking a crap again!

Great when it works but I think that says it all.

I 'd like to sell that odd ball five ouncer I showed you last week to get the 5000 but I'd

like Eric to see it first and get his opinion on it. You know me Rob I sell them I dont collect them.

AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Lucky - Yep, Jeff found a nice one! Just goes to show they are still out there.

AzNuggetBob - Forgot to mention the nugget I posted was 3 ounces. At this time I would tell you to hold out, but I haven't heard anything (rumors or anything I would trust) about a new Minelab PI coming out. Normally after a couple of years I would tell guys to wait, but we normally would be hearing rumors out of OZ by this time (their winter season, our summer).

On another note, have you tried posting the Silver/Gold piece on the forums to see if you can get any buyers? The next time Erik passing through, I can try to get him to drive up that way, or you can come down here for him to look at it.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I wish the ratio was the other way around! I have noticed over time that many prospectors including myself slip into bad habits. I think two of the worst are thinking I can tell the difference in trash and gold, and two, not digging them banging targets. It seems as we detect more and more there is that wait for the classic weee wooo sound, and the only ones we wanna dig. I know I do this when I start getting tired, or tired of digging trash. Them smaller nuggets give a sweet sound most of the time, but when your find a big nugget it let's a guy know he is staying honest. Back when I started detecting I was known as the 1/2oz king cause I had one most days walking out of the field. I think it was mostly cause I was new to it, in a good patch, and dug every target. My buddies and I have all found nugs over an ounce, but our trash pouch is full when we get home. Like Lucky says, "Them dinks are the bread and butter, and big ones are a bonus." I love digging them big or small, but always hoping to find the one that will allow me to retire haha hope everyone finds some lunkers this year for vacations, and keep them dinks to pay for gas and bills

• Admin

Hey Roger,

I have cleaned a lot of gold over the years, but prefer to keep it like I found it. Many people that purchase gold want to clean it their way, rather than having others hit the nuggets with chemicals, shacking nuggets together in vials for cleaning and other methods.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey Guys,

Lucky - Yep, Jeff found a nice one! Just goes to show they are still out there.

AzNuggetBob - Forgot to mention the nugget I posted was 3 ounces. At this time I would tell you to hold out, but I haven't heard anything (rumors or anything I would trust) about a new Minelab PI coming out. Normally after a couple of years I would tell guys to wait, but we normally would be hearing rumors out of OZ by this time (their winter season, our summer).

On another note, have you tried posting the Silver/Gold piece on the forums to see if you can get any buyers? The next time Erik passing through, I can try to get him to drive up that way, or you can come down here for him to look at it.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob

I think considering the heat right now I'm thinking about waiting.

I'm going to give them a few months and see if Minelab remains true to form,

I have not heard any reliable rumors either but they seem to be useing the similar marketing strategy as Apple,

besides with this extra time I can start building a pick with a longer handle. :)

AzNuggetBob

Archived