Revisiting an old nugget patch

• Admin

Hello All,

This weekend a partner and I decided to make a long hike into an area that has several old nugget patches. It's been years since the last time I prospecting these patches, but felt since the weather was breaking it was time for another look with the GPX 5000's. After several hours of a long hike, the patch I had my mind on for such a long time was way overgrown. Besides all the extra brush, as we walked around we didn't notice any digs or signs anyone has been here since the last time we visited the patch. After several hours of hunting, my partner called me over and dropped a lump into my hand. At the time we both were thinking somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4 ounce, but later after hitting the gold scale the nugget weighed in at 17.4 Dwt's. My partner said it was just a slight whisper and we both might have missed it the first time into this patch. I dug a few trashed targets I missed during the first run, but overall that was the only nugget left we could detect.

Congrats to my partner on a great find for an old patch.

newfind01%20(800x600).jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Bob,

Ya, I agree with you. When my partner showed me where he turned this nugget up, we should have gotten it the first go around. That being said, when you first find a new patch, you're running and gunning the patch hoping to pick up the easy nuggets, making sure you're not leaving too many sitting ducks behind if someone else happens to stumble onto the same location before you can return. :o

Here is a closer view of the same nugget. Just a slug ....

newfind02 (800x600).jpg

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Rob,

Looks like a nice nugget... congrats to your partner. How do you guys like the new NF coils?

Now that the weather has cooled down I might go back to a couple of old patches myself. I hoping the summer monsoon rains moved some materal around where I found the big one last spring. I guess I have to hunt solo this year, and I'm just not sure how strong my body is yet. I just ran and put my batteries on the charge, I hope they take a charge... I haven't charged them in 5 months.

• Admin

Hey Goldstudmuffin,

Great to see you back on the forums. As always, I'm thinking about you and you know what.

I toggle back in forth when it comes to searchcoils. I was using the Coiltek Blitz 14-inch for several years with great success, but now I'm using the Nugget Finder 14-inch Advantage Solid Mono. This coil is a bit heavier over the Coiltek, but I like it since it's solid (less snags on vegitation and rocks). I'm found a number of nuggets with this coil so far also, so performance wise I would say they are both close, it's just more preference.

We need to get out for a hunt, maybe some old, easy patches to start out with (yours, mine or new spots).

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Guest goldstudmuffin

Alright Rob, If you can take me to one of your patches that's on flat terraine and has big nuggets that are only a few inches deep I'd love to go. I think flat terraine stay close to the truck and shallow big nuggets is what I need. Do you know of a patch like that? he...he!

Hey Rob

For me on them old patches sometimes low and slow, a better coil, or just the right settings for the area can make the difference between a hit or miss.

Nice find. AzNuggetBob

Im finding any little difference helps. Coils, time of day, settings, right frame of mind,......

Dont forget... a little rain helps :)

Glad you got that clunker out of the ground!

Thats a good day in anyones book. :)

Tom H.

Hi Rob,

Looks like a nice nugget... congrats to your partner. How do you guys like the new NF coils?

Now that the weather has cooled down I might go back to a couple of old patches myself. I hoping the summer monsoon rains moved some materal around where I found the big one last spring. I guess I have to hunt solo this year, and I'm just not sure how strong my body is yet. I just ran and put my batteries on the charge, I hope they take a charge... I haven't charged them in 5 months.

Studmuffin:

Geet out there!

The monsoons moved a lot of stuff around this year.

Ive been fortunate/blessed enough to pop more nugs out of areas ive hit hard in the past.

Good luck to you out there.

Tom H.

Nice one guys,

You're not kidding about new growth man it's everywhere.Went out today and cleaned up some trash on a hillside.I sure hate to hunt the sand bottoms but the hillsides are covered over this fall. The deer look good and fat though I saw 11 today and every doe had fawns. Only saw one buck and he was a real dandy 4x5 about 28" wide and real tall.Sancho got into the pigs again and when they turn and start chasing him he brings them back to me all bristled up and mad.This one this morning got close! Man the weather is just right. Take care all.

Mike