looking for new ground...

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hello All,

I took a new road I've never used before into an old placer area and found a old miners cabin... It's interesting that the cabin had a addition added on and the addition had concrete floor, tin siding, and electricity... notice the power pole out back. The original cabin had wood floors, wood siding, no electricty... I'm sure it cost a bundle to get power that far into the mountain. He must have done well there mining to pay to have electricty brought in...

post-42-0-31389700-1354421757_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-73396600-1354421770_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-43005900-1354421785_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Goldstudmuffin,

Sounds like an interesting area. I'm sure the cabin was there for some reason, whether it was hardrock or placer, it's worth investigating the area. Hope it turns into a new placer area for you. If you need another scout, I'm always for hire! :P

Thanks for sharing.

Rob Allison

Guest goldstudmuffin

The cabin has a new claim marker right close to it... a group out of Utah. There is an old stamp mill foundation and tons of hardrock diggings and propects. But I didn't do any detecting around the cabin area.

These tools were found on the edge of a prospect hole a couple miles away from the cabin, so far no placering that I can see. The shovel had markings all over it, including pat pending, and serial number. It also has a stamped logo on it The Wood Shovel and Tool Company. I did some research and the company was started in 1902. I've only hunted an hour or so... my lungs are finally getting a little stronger.

Pay no attention to the nugget it's just there for size... and my pleasure. :P

post-42-0-98036400-1354476952_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-51964200-1354476973_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-36531200-1354477029_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-51878200-1354477060_thumb.jpg

I never want to use a shovel that long as to wear it down like that. Someone was doing some serious digging. As for the knife what do you think that they were cutting, barbed wire? Maybe they were trying to split a bullet in half by firing it at the blades sharp end. Never know just what you'll find out there. Tks. for the pics.

Old Tom