Pick length

I am going to buying a pick this weekend and am not sure of what to get.

At first glance I was looking at the apex badger, but after using my 18" folding shovel I realized that it is way to short for me. I'm 6'1" and don't know what handle length pick I should buy that would best fit my size.

How tall are you and/or what length pick do you use?

Thanks,

Q

pick length depends-like so many things- on what you want to do with it. My favorite Hermit pick is the medium size...about 20 to 24 inches. That is good for me as I often carry it in a holder on my side...if I intend to use my pick for a walking stick and digging tool I use my big Hermit pick that is maybe 30 inches...I would be more exact but I am too lazy to go out to the shed and measure them...I also have a very short pick I carry when I am using my x-705...

A short pick requires a smaller width hole than a longer picker...a big pick moves dirt faster than a small pick...using Pi machines will usually require the occasional swimming pool sized excavation...

fred

I am going to buying a pick this weekend and am not sure of what to get.

At first glance I was looking at the apex badger, but after using my 18" folding shovel I realized that it is way to short for me. I'm 6'1" and don't know what handle length pick I should buy that would best fit my size.

How tall are you and/or what length pick do you use?

Thanks,

Q

Im 6"1" also.

I use Bunks pick. Its light weight and very strong.Bout 30 inches long.

If you want to swing by my house and see it this Friday or on the weekend and see how it fits, your welcome to. I live in peoria not to

far from suprise.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you directions.

Tom H.

I think I'll go with nvchris and cut one down to length. I have been looking at getting an Apex talon as a longer pick. I think with the 30" handle will have room to cut off if I want.

Im 6"1" also.

I use Bunks pick. Its light weight and very strong.Bout 30 inches long.

If you want to swing by my house and see it this Friday or on the weekend and see how it fits, your welcome to. I live in peoria not to

far from suprise.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you directions.

Tom H.

Thanks for the offer Tom, appreciate it. I am so busy this week and I am meeting Rob in Wickenberg on Saturday so I'd like to get the pick prior to that.

Bunks picks seem nice and look great for moving lost of dirt. They also seem to get great reviews by detectorists and amateur archaeologists.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

• Admin

Hey Rquag,

Sorry I didn't respond back sooner, been on the run. Hey, I have a busy schedule this weekend, but looking forward to meeting you in the field. Let me know which one you think you want and I will bring it along during the instructions. You can also get a chance to poke around with the GPX 5000, or at least take a look at it if you want.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison