Playing around with the Fisher Goldbug Pro

Hi Rob,

A good quality alkaline is in the region of 9.6 Volts when new and the Voltage steadily tapers off during use, whereas the 9.6 Volt Imedion starts off at over 10 Volts and then hangs around the 9.6 Volt mark until about 80% discharged, and then drops off very fast, similar to Li-ion.

It's easy to see why Fred and others don't recommend rechargables when the majority of standard ones start off around 9 Volts but quickly drop away below 8.5 V, seriously reducing sensitivity.

If you've been using good quality alkalines then you will not notice a lot of difference with the 9.6V Imedions other than it seems like a fresh new battery for longer, plus it's reusable up to 1000 times.

Yes I must post more, it's easy to just drop in and lurk a bit, lap up the latest and flit off again, but that's not very encouraging for others. I'm going to insist Jane try the 10x5 elliptical after what Ray said, so will report back in after our next trip to the goldfields in a weeks time.

All the best to you.

Kev.

I have to throw in my two cents here. The batteries wont pump up performance other than

the Lion's and Lipo's last longer at peak perfomance. if if the gold bug pro is like the gold bug, or the Minelab and I highly suspect they are, 1-2 hell 6 batteries doesent matter.

There is limiting circuitry that usualy stops anything above about 7-8.volts. from entering the circuit board on a 9 volt battery detector to protect the components. and the boards are designed to run at lower voltages keep it running as the battery discharges.

In series or in parallel it doesn't matter.

The most you may do is blow the limiting regulators and some other components from the voltage spike in the circuitry by playing around with the wiring.

Thats why the gold bug runs fine on one 9v battery or two. Is the gold bug running at 18volts? No

If it were running at 18 volts with two standard 9v batteries the field time would be low. a few hours. Take care all AzNuggetBob

Oh btw I took this out of the Gold Bug Pro manual.

Use a 9-volt ALKALINE battery.

Do not use Heavy Duty Batteries

I didn't know that about the GB Pro, Bob. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when I go buy new ones. Seems like one should break out the old manual every once in a while. It's a great lightweight detector which fits my style being I have no rotator cuff in my arm.

Are you getting socked in with the rain, bud?

Old Tom

Hey Old Tom how you doing. well I hope. ya I had some extra time today socked in by the rain. I always say,if all else fails read the manual. (tech joke) personally I dont think I would risk using anything other than what the factory recommends. AzNuggetBob

Hello Bob, your reference to the GB Pro manual is exactly right. Years ago I had many people that would tell me that their GBII operated better because of two batteries. Like I said I am not into the tecnology but I figure the guys that write the manual have a specific reason for saying what they do. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

trinityau

I'm going to start off by saying I really like your posts and I agree with you. you hit the nail right on the head. normaly you just dont see a manufacturer be so specific about battery types. there must be a reason. AzNuggetBob

trinityau

I'm going to start off by saying I really like your posts and I agree with you. you hit the nail right on the head. normaly you just dont see a manufacturer be so specific about battery types. there must be a reason. AzNuggetBob

Hi Bob,

Please read page 8 of the manual.

I work as an engineer in the electronics industry and certainly would never jeopardize one of my beloved machines or suggest others do so by obviating the user manual.

It does indeed say "Use a 9-Volt ALKALINE battery. Do not use Heavy Duty batteries" on Page 1 which is the concise instruction set.

But on page 8 it goes into much finer detail about batteries, where it reads "Rechargable batteries can also be used, we recommend using a Nickel Metal Hydride rechargable battery".

As for not noticing any difference, between batteries chemistries, well we are saying we do, out in the field where it counts.

If you don't want to believe it then that is fine, I just felt that others should not dismiss the 9.6 Volt NiMH rechargables as a viable option. The reason why is simple, all VLFs I've seen, load the battery directly across the transmitter coil via an oscillator, so it stands to reason that a higher voltage will produce a larger magnetic field.

Alkalines are fine, don't get me wrong, but forget the standard 9 Volt (8.4) rechargeables, they are challenged, and that is why Fisher seem to suggest them as a secondary option in the manual. In future printings I wouldn't be surprised if it is revised to list 9.6 Volts rechargeables as the best option.

Throw another log on the fire there Jim will you please :)

Alchemist I agree with you to an extent, but there is one thing here you not considering,ALKALINE batteries and NiMH rechargables dont have an onboard built-in voltage regulator that can fail. resulting in a huge spike to the detector. if you want to put lipo's or lion batteries directly into your detector, go ahead. AzNuggetBob

Maybe I should be a little more clear on this! for those of you that are wondering. Well what about the Pocket rocket or

Goldscreamer system?. They have a secondary over voltage protection from a battery failure built into them.

sort of a buffer between the battery and the detector.you dont get that when your putting Lipo's or lion batteries directly into your detector.

AzNuggetBob

Alchemist Thanks for clearing that up I just could not figure out why anyone would want to risk putting a

lion or poly battery directly into there detector without at least a secondary re-setable fuse as a buffer.

Im not a big fan of "cheap" Chinese lion/poly batteries these days.there have been some issues with them lately.

I built several upgraded Pocket Rocket clones except for the power amp Fet with LCD meter and external voltage control for modding early Minlabs in the last few years and had to replace several of the internal circuit boards on cheap ion/poly batteries. bottom line there not worth the savings on the cheap ones not mention the risk.

Anyway I don't want to turn this into battery thred I was enjoying the info on the Gold Bug Pro. AzNuggetBob

You guys are great. i learned a lot from just listening to the experts. Thanks guys now shake hands and go to your corners. :-) Now if you can get me over the gold I'll be a happy man. Too damn wet out there just yet but watch out Monday, Tom and I are going to do it and with the right batteries to boot.

Old Tom

I think that I'll settle for a copy of your book to read on these rainy days. At almost eighty my bones don't like cold water too much anymore, that's why we changed from dredging to detecting. I'll let the younger ones do the hydraulics and I'll read all about it. Keep your powder dry Bob...............

Old Tom

Ya ya way to rub it in Mr. Mills..lol

Thanks for the pics Ray, have followed your posts for a few years on t-net and here always informative and fun.

Do you clean out a spot when you hit trashy areas or try to listen for the right tone instead to avoid all the non gold digging?

I am currently digging everything with the impression I should remove the trash and then re sweep the area to listen for targets that were masked by

trash.

Thanks for all the great info from all who post here.

• 1 year later...

Just my two cents on this but (heavy duty) batteries has almost became more of a generic term these days for more powerful batteries. I agree it used to refer to zinc–carbon batteries a few years ago, ok a lota years ago. :lol: ​ AzNuggetBob