More on the Garrett ATX Metal Detector

• Admin

Hello All,

This afternoon my partner and I had a group of GPX customer out for field instructions. The group consisted of a few Arizona locals, a customer from Florida and one from Canada. We all didn't realize how cold it was going to be today, especially when the Sun went behind the clouds. The instructions went great as always, the customers loved their GPX 5000's and got to learn a bunch on the ground we hunted. One customer scored a nice, flat Gram sized piece under a few rocks.

Throughout the day, my partner and I got to play with the Garrett ATX more. We done some comparison with targets detected with the GPX's and then scanned them with the ATX before disturbing. For the most part, any really faint target the ATX couldn't hear, but we all pretty much knew this. The more obvious targets the ATX heard well. This was not some trial to see what the ATX could do, just the fact we asked the customers to not disturb any targets if they would until we scanned over them.

My partner, a long time Minelab user really liked the ATX and what it had to offer. We spent more time playing with discrimination and found we were able to eliminate some smaller targets on full disc., that the Minelab would still beep on. Just trying to see if we could use the ATX as a tool on very trashy areas with small bits of iron rubbish and potentially "cherry pick" out larger nuggets. A lot of experimenting needs to be done, but the preliminary test seemed interesting. Much more to learn and play with on the discrimination abilities.

To date, for $2,120.75, it's going to be hard to beat this waterproof PI that can be used for gold nuggets, coins and relics.

By about 4pm, we all decided it was too damn cold to continue.

The ATX is far easier to operate. Nearly everything is automatic. For most people that will translate into better performance. It is of course also waterproof. If you are talking the TDI or TDI Pro ( not the SL model) they use Li-Ion batteries that can be problematic when traveling. The ATX uses AA alkalines or rechargeables, comes with both.

Main plus for the TDI and TDI Pro is it weighs less and costs less and better coil selection at lower prices.

Good one Rob, comparing the undug ones. For the most part where I live the areas have been pretty hammered and most of my targets are real faint iffy's. Occasionally I get an obvious one but 90% + are real faint, the ones that most people walk over. Sounds like Garrett is bridging the gap somewhat though!

• Admin

Hey Guys,

The ground was already disturbed on the Gram piece, as the guys were clearing some rocks and brush in areas.

Some more testing today shown that the ATX is great at shallow, smaller gold, but when the depth starts to increase the performance of the ATX drops off and the GPX really takes over. We tested nuggets from the 3, 6 & 10 Gram range at depth and the ATX really struggled, many couldn't even hear, but loud and clear with a Minelab GPX. I think we all pretty much had a feeling or knew the GPX was going to take over on heavier mineralized ground conditions and when it comes to depth.

I was only using the GPX 5000 in the general, DD coil mode, default settings and Normal timing. I didn't adjust anything to tweak the detector even more.

Rob... thanks for your update. When searching with the ATX did you ensure the discrimination was set to zero at all times, and with the unit ground balanced and fixed? I'm sure you did, but have to ask the question. Where did you have the gain control set for the test nuggets and if you still recollect what were the approximate depths obtained on each of the 3, 6, and 10 gram nuggets? Geez that's a lot of questions but I hope you can remember.

I've been contemplating having a good look at this unit for silver hunting up here in Ontario, and possibly other applications. Any additional comments that come to mind will be very much appreciated. Many thanks...

Jim.

• Admin

Hey Jim,

Great questions, so I will do my best to quickly answer them before I hit the sack.

Yes, I always make sure the discriminator is down to zero, as once it's around 2-3 it can effect depth. There is a huge drop in depth with the ATX if you have the discrimination around half or better. Yep, always keep the unit in fixed ground balance, as this is my favorite mode to hunt in with the GPX also. I was running the sensitivity on the ATX at max.

When I was using the GPX 5000, I had everything in factory default modes under the "General" setting. The gain I believe is 9 or 10.

I didn't measure the nugget depths, but this is what we done. We placed the nuggets, each size, down to max depth range for the ATX. We then would try the GPX 5000 in the default settings in General and would easily hear all the nuggets. The ATX wouldn't hear them, or just a faint whisper if that.

The ATX is very quiet and pretty damn impressive for how simple and the reasonable cost.

The ATX is far easier to operate. Nearly everything is automatic. For most people that will translate into better performance. It is of course also waterproof. If you are talking the TDI or TDI Pro ( not the SL model) they use Li-Ion batteries that can be problematic when traveling. The ATX uses AA alkalines or rechargeables, comes with both.

Main plus for the TDI and TDI Pro is it weighs less and costs less and better coil selection at lower prices.

Thanks for all the great info on the ATX. I have been reviewing all the info and Youtube videos I can find on this detector, most of which are very positive and I just purchased one. Hope to get it this week and try it out in the field next week. I have a Gold Bug 2 which has been a great detector but I look forward to the greater depth the ATX should provide and for considerably less cost than the ML. Really like the telescoping feature, small size and portability, should fit easily into a backpack. Just one question: How long do the batteries last when fully charged? It's great not to have to carry a large battery pack around but just wondering how many back up AA's I'll need to bring along. Thanks again to everyone for all the great info, really helped me to make the decision on buying one.....jim

The rechargeables last 10-12 hours; about 10 without headphones and 12 with. Comes with 110v and 12v chargers. There is a backup AA alkaline set but use the rechargeables unless you like buying lots of AA batteries. I use the rechargeables but keep the alkalines on me in case they go dead. You get a warning but when they go dead they go fast.

When I watched the in field test videos of the ATX I wasn't that impressed. nothing deep just small stuff shallow. just because it picks up finley devided crystalline gold shallow, so do most high frequency VLF's. I like the controls in the handle and the coil wire inside the shaft but not so sure how difficult its going to be to change coils with the standard coil plug in the shaft? Time will tell, need more field reports. AzNuggetBob

this test is invalid plain and simple,, this was not an even match up,,why?...coils...the only way you can compare these 2 detectors is with the 8 inch round mono coil on each detector ..after that only one comparison can be made and that is the 20 inch round mono,s....there is no in between..

Is there some law that states detector tests have to be "fair"? I thought the goal was to find gold.

The large mono on the ATX is 15" x 20", it is not round.

Hey Jim,

Great questions, so I will do my best to quickly answer them before I hit the sack.

Yes, I always make sure the discriminator is down to zero, as once it's around 2-3 it can effect depth. There is a huge drop in depth with the ATX if you have the discrimination around half or better. Yep, always keep the unit in fixed ground balance, as this is my favorite mode to hunt in with the GPX also. I was running the sensitivity on the ATX at max.

When I was using the GPX 5000, I had everything in factory default modes under the "General" setting. The gain I believe is 9 or 10.

I didn't measure the nugget depths, but this is what we done. We placed the nuggets, each size, down to max depth range for the ATX. We then would try the GPX 5000 in the default settings in General and would easily hear all the nuggets. The ATX wouldn't hear them, or just a faint whisper if that.

The ATX is very quiet and pretty damn impressive for how simple and the reasonable cost.

Thanks Rob... I appreciate you staying up a bit to reply. Your information helps me to get a better overview. You mentioned above using a DD coil... I didn't think to ask if it was it the stock GPX 11"DD?

I see you've been looking at the ATX discrimination feature. I'm checking with Garrett about whether the ATX discrimination feature works identically to Infinium's... expect a reply soon. If so... perhaps I can make a few suggestions based on how I use it up here in Ontario's silverfields. Thanks again...

Jim.

A 4000 aint no 5, not in the ball park Kyle. The amount of gold I have seen found by 5's in areas hit hard with 4's and in some cases 45's, leaves no doubt. Some say the 5 on Fine Gold is only for fly specks :lol: , WRONG!!! Its just a name given to a different setting to me and if I was asked to name that setting it would not have been Fine Gold. "Enhance Extra" maybe, but definitely not Fine Gold.

The battle of the Minelab owners. It all started when one said mine is the best and the other said that's not true. What one owner of a minelab didn't know that you don't say not true in the same sentence. Well that's when both own Minelabs. The sad part about this they both knew this had to be settle. So it wasn't room for both and it came down to a battle between a 4000 and 5000. ( that's a 1000 between the two )

Now they stood there a hundred yards apart ( they were in no rush to get it over with as you can see by the distance ) So back to back they faced each other at a hundred yard they draw their Minelabs.

I sorry I just can't write the end to this sad tale but you will know who came out on top when they post.

I was thinking this post was all about Garrett ATX.

Chuck

I just can't leave you hanging. The Truth is both are out there someplace saying mine is better.

They were so far apart they couldn't see each other and being their hearing is bad they never heard the count.

The true sad thing about this when the smoke cleared one spotted owl and one joey had paid the price between two ML owners.

Now you know the rest of the story!

Chuck

How about an Aussie term, "doesn't come within a bulls roar". What's "really funny" is comparing a new machine to an older one from, what 7 years ago or thereabouts, when 2 others have come out in the meantime which are better. Then testing out this New Machine against that older one which has been superseded "twice" and saying "wow, its like, wow dude, AWESOME" Would be the same as a new car coming out from BMW in 2013 and the tester compared it to a Ford released in 2006. Hmm, wonder how much cred that tester would retain :glare:

Your test isn't just funny, its hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot understand the bickering about different machines, I have Garretts, Minelabs, a Fisher GB2 and a Bounty Hunter for the grand kids. They all do what they are designed to do. I like them all and do not plan on selling any of them. If everyone liked only one make and model there would be no competition and the technology would stagnate. That's my two bits worth. I do like the thought of having a compact ( Minelab 2300 or Garrett ATX ) waterproof detector tho......IdahoAl

• Admin

Hello Kyle,

Well I have to agree to disagree with you. I have found gold on old patches I have missed with the GPX 4000. I'm not saying the GPX 4500 and GPX 5000 are 10x better, but there is no doubt they are much more stable, receive less EMI, can use a Mono coils better on mineralized ground vs the GPX 4000 and have more user control, which can mean better overall settings for just a 1/4 inch increase in depth or that extra bit of boost you might need to hear the smallest of the nuggets.

We respect your opinions, but then again many that have used all the detectors for at least 2-3 years solid know you're just blowing smoke.

I have to say, since I have allowed you back onto the forums, you have been pretty anti-Minelab (don't buy Minelab, they are junk ..... yada yada).

I think most are worn out of hearing your bickering, so I ask you politely to talk about metal detecting or whatever without down-grading a brand in "every, single post" you have made. I guess we can say this is a "very friendly warning!"

Hope you understand. I don't care if you purchase a Minelab, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, White's or some detector from Radio Shack if you're happy with what you purchased.

Rob Allison

Kyle -

You've been summarily kicked off forums before, and it seems like you enjoy doing this repeatedly.....

Rob is being really, really nice to you, far more than you deserve.

Perhaps the worst thing you do is just make up your own "facts". You can believe what you want, and think of the things you say however you like, but you are not entitled to your own set of "facts." The guys who are actually finding gold recognize your BS.

So lets come back to the original thread topic:

The ATX is a well, made good detector and it will meet the need for a lot of guys who want to buy a mid-range detector at an affordable price.

In the coming months lots of them will be out in the field and get used and find gold. Then we will get a wider variety of folks posting their experiences with the ATX. I look forward to hearing those reports.

Hi all,

I have been watching this fellows videos comparing detectors....and he appears pretty unbiased...imo

anyway, here is a vid he did on the ATX regarding ground balancing vs depth on wet sand..... when it was ground balanced it lost all depth,,very graphic and

easy to see.

This makes me wonder if you have to run it without GB in wet sand, how will it do in mineralized soil without being ground balanced.....???

Of course, if i wanted to run around in hot ground with and listen to the chatter of a noisier machine, i could go back to my 2200v2....which wasnt bad, i just had to learn the language...

'Quiet is nice",,,but not at the expense of too much depth, amen?

So......????? I think i will ask detectorcomparisons chap to try the same test on hot ground...... if he doesnt have any would someone ship him some,,,,lol

Oh Rob, ........you arent that busy this time of year,,,maybe you could stop everything else and make me a nice video.....'grin' ;)

Have a blessed Christmas everyone!!!!

paul