How much weight do you swing nugget hunting ?

There is so many detectors on the market and as we see more coming out each day. What I'm wondering just how the weight of your detector is effecting you after a 8 hour day. I know myself when I was young and strong a 8 hour day was nothing and I could do it day after day.

Some of the new detectors hit the scales at 3 pounds and others around 7 are higher in weight. When I see all the Birthdays here I see lots of us over 60 years.

At 73 middle of this month I'll go for the heavy detector and cut down on my swing time if I have to. You look at the big boys and you find they just go deeper than the others. Now if I want to hunt more I've got two VLF.

Chuck Anders

Chuck: Its all up to what you can handle.

Everyone is different.

Me.at 53.......I can use a ML5G all day with a coiltek 9x14.

Anything more then that Ill hook up the bungy to take the weight off.

Ok...sometimes I will hook the bungy up 3/4 the way through on a hot day with the original set up.

You could always just swing a bigger one half the day and then switch over to the lighter VLFs for the second half.

Just depends....depends...crap I forgot to got to get me some at the store tonight !! :(
Tom H.

If Im swinging a Minelab gold machine, too much weight. bungee not optional, recommended and a good harness.. There are times I prefer a lightweight VLF (fisher gold bug or 2) if I have any doubts, maybe the gold is deeper I come back with the big guns. Oh something else I should mention the heavy aluminum cases are so strong you can pretty much drive a car over them, typical military grade and it also acts as a Faraday shield.

AzNuggetBob

I get to feelin it after a few weeks steady of the larger coils on the 3500. Used to be back a few years in my 50's I'd swing that puppy forever an not feel it.
Nowadays I have to switch back to the 7x14 an do the bushes etc. to take some weight off till the ol shoulder joint stops hurtin. then go back to the 16.

I'm thinking of hiring someone to swing my detector on big coil hunts! Smaller coil is always easier on your body and you'll pickup gold missed by the larger coils. Good luck and remember the old saying No Pain, No Gain...but work smarter not Harder!

LuckyLundy

A properly set-up and fitted HIPSTICK is the answer to your problems...I would not be without mine, even when using smaller coils...

The first one I had I wore on my pants, as the directions show...I didnot like that. So, I ordered a shorter version and mounted in on my harness belt. The hipstick stays on the belt all the time and makes detecting an almost weightless experience, it also allows one to control the side-to-side motion with less effort which saves my tired wrist...

fred

To all that posted a reply.

It sounds to me that we all think about the same. I know when I think I'm at the end I take a short break and it's enough so I can go at it longer for whatever that may be. I know if I drop down on the size of my coil it's no stopping me. If I start hunting with my high end high weight detector I just don't want to put it down because in the long run it will find me more.

We know the best way to hunt is low slow and over lap your swing. So maybe getting old may be a good think. With age all three comes into play. Ha

Chuck Anders

PS Say 20 years from now you see a guy swinging a detector and you can't tell if he's moving. Well that's just me and don't laugh. I've got it wide open.

As Fred said,

a Hipstick will almost completely solve any problems having to do with

the weight of the detector, the ensuing shoulder problems and the overall fatigue that comes from hours of work.

Because of these benefits, it is easier to concentrate for longer periods of time.

The Hipstick is a huge help in maintaining a consistent coil height and swing arc.

There is a good reason why Hipstick's are so popular here and in Australia.

I cannot imagine detecting without one.

It sounds the way I need to go is with the Hipstick. My day of strong arming it is over and I don't want to stop detecting. If I done that I just as well dig a hole and pull the dirt over me.

Thanks for the help on this matter. This just shows we can all learn something new.

Chuck Anders