Where to go for off road permit ?

First time I've been to Az. that I needed a permit for my ATV. What I need to know is what is the nearest place around Congress to get one?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Chuck Anders

PS If this weather will clear here I hope to be out there in the next two weeks. I need to get some paint on a camping trailer I made. The way it is right now I may be going down the road painting and finishing what I started.

If you had any nuggets that was too small so you left them lay, will you put a flag by them.HaHa

What was Weaver Mining I'll be by to join again.

Here ya go, Chuck: How do I obtain an OHV Decal and what does it cost?
The OHV Decal is available for purchase online at ServiceArizona.com icon_external.gif or at a Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Office or Authorized Third Party Provider. The cost is $25.00. The decal is valid for one year. It is the ATV/OHV owner’s responsibility to purchase subsequent year decals.

Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Weird, I just received my renewal for my OHV Decal Renewal from the Game and Fish Department. They state don't write the check out to "Arizona Game and Fish Department," but rather sign up through the www.servicearizona.com site like Ron mentioned. I'm sure what the cost is this year. I will probably renew just for the fact a friend got pulled over by the Yavapai Sheriff last year. The Sheriff stated the road he was riding on required a plate, but said since he at least has the OHV decal, he would just give him a warning and told him to stay off the main dirt roads.

My UTV (Polaris RZR) is registered to be on any AZ road just like a car and carries a motorcycle plate (except being interstate I believe ... but I would drive it on there anyway). Point being that when I register each year I am charged for a new OHV sticker along with the registration.

The decal allows you to travel on improved roads. You can't travel on county or state maintained roads without a tag. The decal is not a permit for off road use - no permit is needed for that unless you are recreating on State Trust lands.

The part fish and game leaves out is that this decal is only for already licensed vehicles:

From Service Arizona:

Welcome to EZ Off-Highway Vehicle Decal! Arizona Law requires all vehicles used off highway and meeting the criteria listed below to display an off-highway vehicle decal.

Criteria (All three requirements must be met.):

• The vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
  • The vehicle has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
  • The vehicle has been issued an Arizona license plate.
    Note: If you do not have a plate issued to this vehicle, please visit your nearest MVD Office or Authorized Third Party provider.

Without the license plate you can't legally travel on improved roads. For instance running your atv on Castle Hot Springs Road without a license tag will get you a ticket.

As a side note for out of state visitors - it's illegal to drive on the shoulder of an improved road whether you have a license tag or not.

"Improved roads" can get tricky. Improved doesn't mean paved it just means some government entity might consider maintaining it sometime. There are some improved roads that you don't have to worry about getting a ticket on because they are in such bad shape no cop would drive down them. :P

As I recall Maricopa County graded Stagecoach road back in the 80s - improved road. Ditto for Yavapai County and Morales Ranch Road south of Rich Hill - improved road.

Basically if you don't have the license tag and the OHV tag you will need to trailer your atv and only run it off the improved roads.