Good/Bad Detecting Day with the GPZ 7000

• Admin

Hello All,

Well I decided to venture into the goldfields again today, figured this might be the only chance here in the next month to beat the 100+ degree temps. I left my place at 3:30am and arrived at the detecting location before Sunup. I waited around for about 15 minutes, before venturing to the spot I wanted to try out. I hunted for about 5 hours, found 4 gold nuggets and two iron trash targets. It was a tough hunt, the EMI was worst than ever and it was very humid. After about an hour, my shirt was soaked from top to bottom.

I was pleased with the 4 nuggets, all really rough in character. The largest was 4.3 Grams (long piece), 3.6 Grams and two 1/2 Grammers. I'm happy with 8+ Grams (over 1/4 ounce) for such a short hunt and an old pounded placer area. The GPZ 7000 is truly an amazing metal detector. I'm looking forward to this Winter season where I can really get out and push this unit to it's full potential.

post-2-0-98249600-1441579513_thumb.jpg

Now for the bad part - I was heading out of the area traveling down a steep, narrow bedrock type road. Wouldn't you know in the roughest spot possible, I blow out a front tire. I have nowhere to pull off, as the road was only a foot or so wider than my vehicle. I spent over an hour fighting with changing the front tire on the worst road condition possible. Somehow I hit a rock in the bank or sharp rock in the road and it blew the sidewall out instantly.

I made it back home safe for another trip to the hills soon enough.

Hope you're all having a great 3-day weekend!

Glad you got home safe Rob. Must be something in the air. In the last three weeks, I tore the sidewall out of the tire on my truck too. Fortunately I had road hazard insurance, and it only cost me $48 for a $170 tire. Then I blew a tire on my quad. I got lucky some guy had to exact tire I needed on Ebay for half the price because he had ordered the wrong size and by the time he paid to ship it back, he figured it would just be better to take a loss on it and dump it on ebay. Came to me still wrapped and everything. Then the tire on my ATV trailer kept going bald on the inside tread. Took it to the trailer dealer, I have had the same trailer for 13 years. He said the axel was bent. So, new axle, I upgraded from a 2000 lb axle to a 3500 lb axle and of course had to buy a new trailer tire,

Once again glad you got home safe, I tell you I would much rather park my truck as soon as I can and take my quad to where ever I need to go.

Take care!

Doc

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I used to have an old beater truck that I used for the hills only, it was a GMC 2000 4x4 with over 280,000 miles when I sold it to my partner. I ran nothing but BFG All-Terrains and never had a flat. I decided to purchase a new vehicle a few years back, a GMC 2013 2500HD Diesel. The stock 20-inch tires are Goodyear. They seemed pretty good, but I guess the sidewall rating wasn't. I'm sure they are good for "load rating," but not driving them off-road. I still have my quad, it's a 2007 Polaris 500 4x4 and it runs like a champ. I just hate loading the trailer or the quad in the truck. I guess I will need to start taking the quad or invest in some good tires for off-road. I heard good reviews of the new BFG All-Terrains.

Dakota Slim - The EMI is minimal at best, nothing like the prior GPX units. That being said, the GPZ purrs along for the most part, if I get any weird noise I dub it on EMI. Today was just noisy, some minor storms and rain where I was, I'm sure that contributed.

Hi Rob I run the new BFG Km2 All-Terrains I like them a little better than the older one's. the new ones have beefer sidewall shoulders. It was between the Cooper ST-MAXX and the BFG'S I only went with the BFG's because Discount Tire Direct was having a fantastic sale on them then I had Discount Tire beet the price, even though they are owned by the same guy.

I have the BFG's All terrain and I think they are a great tire. While I tore a chunk out of the sidewall I neglected to say that it did not go flat, as it only took a big gouge out and did not penetrate.

I know exactly when and where I did it, and I should have been using my quad instead of the truck. I just didn't see this really jagged rock sticking into the road until the last second at it was too late. I was probably going about two miles and hour and trying to miss a big rut on the left and I steered right into the rock.

I half way expected to feel it go flat, but it didn't and I thought maybe I was OK. But when I got back on the flat and level I got out and took a look and saw the big gouge.

10 ply with Kevlar, I bet you may some good money for those babies.

Doc

WTG on the gold Rob!!! :)
Those are some nice pieces for sure.

Dad and I went out today also. Like you said..EMI was heavy today for some reason.

I was getting a lot of false NICE signals...but they died out. Ground was hot also???

Dripping like crazy at about 9.

Found some old bullets and tin :)

We were out until about 11
No yellow for us today though.

Well get em next time :)
Tom H.

P.S. Where's that road at??? I'm trying to blow out one of my back tires

so I can use my DISCOUNT TIRE certificate and get two more BFGs :)

Congrads Rob on the gold. Sounds like with your tire prob. That you took the labor day holiday seriously.

And on the tires, michelin, goodyear, pirelli and Cooper tires are top 5 for truck tires according to consumer reports. With my job I drive more miles off road then pavement for years. Ive tried all these brands and Cooper tires is the best by far. But the shocker. Big O tires sells a bigfoot A/t that is made by Cooper for big O that is idenical to cooper discover a/t. I have used these for few years with no flats driving on mountain roads full of sharp shaly rocks and sticks. I have 10 ply. They ride very well like a 4 ply. Everybody in the logging woods uses them now. I think I paid $900 for them for my nissan frontier 4x4.

Hey Rob , Dennis here. You may not have noticed my tires when I got the SDC, but I only run Goodyear Kevlar tires. Mine are MTR's which are full on tractions, but they do make another model that's still great off road and better on asphalt. You won't find another tire that even compares to the Goodyear's with Kevlar sidewalls. Check out the 4x4 forums, serious off roaders swear by their puncture proof design. These Kevlar tires have been torture tested by many, including different magazines at places like Moab. I was likely the 1st person in Az. to have a set since nobody, even Goodyear, had them in stock at the time I got mine. I'm now on my second set. Never had a flat with these tires in 6 years. I've had a couple large nails stuck in tread that just bent over and never punctured the tire. Plenty of scrapes from sharp rocks, bit not one cut.

You guys can keep your BFG's if you want. I got tired of carrying 2 spares when I ran BFG's many years ago. If you want the best tire for off road, there are only 2........Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar or Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.The AT is not as aggressive and better for daily asphalt driving while still being very good off road. Guys that drive their 4x4's instead of trailering them prefer the AT's at rugged places like Moab. Guys like rock crawlers that trailer their 4x4's prefer the MTR's. I run the MTR's because they are better in mud and snow which I see plenty of where I live in the mountains.

I suggest you search for better prices online like at Tire Buyer or Tire Rack or some other similar online retailer. I paid less than $800 for a set of 4 both times delivered. Then about $75 at a local tire store to mount and balance. Discount wants like $1,200 for the same set with m&b. If you are worried about road hazard warranty.....you won't need that with Goodyear Kevlar. Dennis

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I ended up doing some research and talking with a bunch of guys at work that 4x4. I had great success in the past with BFG's, so I decided to order a set of BFG All-Terrain KO2's. They are slightly a bit taller and wider than my stock tires, but I think they will do. I don't plan on really 4x4ing my 2500HD, but at least now I know they have much better sidewall protection then before. I think the new tires I have are 8 or 10 ply sidewall.

Thanks for all the advice, suggestions and personal experiences with tires.