Anyone Using Modded Minelab Metal Detectors?

• Admin

Hello All,

A few buddies of mine over the years have used some mods placed on their Minelab Pulse Induction metal detectors.  Most always claimed the units were better after the mods.  I know there are much newer mods now being performed on the GPX 4500 and GPX 5000 by Woody.  Curious if anyone is running these mods and what their thoughts were on them?  What does the mod do for you over the stock unit - more depth, more sensitivity, more stability or all?  

Here is Woody's website - DetectorMods.com  - https://detectormods.com/

How about this video -

• Admin

Hey Mike,

No doubt a very nice piece of gold. I read some of the comments on the Youtube site, many believe it was staged.  I'm not seeing it, but then again just about every time I find a nugget and post it on Youtube you get all the haters ..... LOL 

• Like 4

Rob

I've had two detectors modded by Link Technologies, Woody, and I saw improvements with both.  My first one was a SD 2100v2.  The mods improved this detectors stability and sensitivity to smaller gold.  The second one I had modded was a GP3500 I bought used and had modded.  The improvements to this machine again were a more stable threshold and with a gain control and a pot to fine tune the frequency  I'm able to fine tune the gain and the frequency to increase sensitivity to fine gold and depth increases.  It is on par with my 5000.  I have a friend who had his 5000 modded and swears it will give a GPZ 7000 a run for its money.  Being someone who couldn't keep up with Minelabs new machines and price increases this gave me an affordable option.  I also had a guy from the forums, goes by Bad Weasle, build me a voltage regulator that allows me to use the GPX battery with the SD2100 and the GP 3500.  It's works great.

Wes.

• Admin

Hey Wes,

Thanks for the input.  I've heard more good from mods than bad, so my guess is they work pretty well.  The only two I knew that done mods back then were Ismael and Woody.  I think Ismael quite the business and Woody is still running strong. 

I personally never have used a modded detector, but know many close friends that liked them. 

Rob,

I have had level 3 modifications done to three F1A4's (The one I use, one spare and one for a friend). Mick, Detectronics, did the mod's. In my opinion, he is the master of F1A4 mods. He was highly recommended to me by Ismael. 

The F1A4 is a great detector based on the SD platform. It is not effected by EMI very much (It can be turned on in the house) and it has a very stable threshold. The Mod 3 Gives the F1A4 an adjustable threshold, the ability to run the detector in Ch. 1 - Ch. 2 or both, 4 timings and 5 frequencies (The highest frequency is higher and the lowest frequency is lower than the SD, GP and GPX detectors).

I tested the F1A4 Mod 3 in mineralized ground against my GPX4500 (Which I sold.) using round mono coils from 6" to 25". I also compared it to my friends SDC2300. I used gold pieces from .05 grams to 40 grams. The F1A4 Mod 3 detected deeper than the GPX4500 and SDC2300 on gold pieces from .05 to .5 grams. The F1A4 Mod matched or had a little less depth than the GPX4500 on gold pieces from .5 grams to 5 grams. The F1A4 Mod 3 detected deeper than the GPX4500 on gold pieces from 5 grams to 40 grams.

Rex