Slow Start to this Season - Gold that is .....

• Admin

Hello All,

It seems like every year I get less and less time to swing the detector.  This year, I have only been out a few times with very little gold under the searchcoil.  I'm hoping to change that soon, as work is slowing down and the business will follow as the Summer heat starts getting closer.   

Last year was a Banner year, maybe one of my best seasons overall to date for electronic prospecting.  I don't want to discuss numbers, but I Thank God for his blessing.  Below is one of many large ones that were found last season using the Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector.  That nugget hit the scale just a shy under 13 Troy ounces.  

Wishing you all a successful 2019 season! 

IMG_0130.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Holy cow that is a monster!!!!!.....if I remember she said it was on an inside bend :) LOL....What a fantastic find.  So, what did you name it? 

Tom H.

Edited by oldies1955
  • Like 1

• Admin

Hey Tom,

Ya, it was a great find with many Sisters and Brothers! :D That being said, it was not where most textbooks or most people would think a large nugget would be found.  It was in fact in an ancient bench, but actually on the far opposite side of an inside bend.  I guess this was the most amazing part, as we could have easily missed it.  That being said, I guess we can say it has been missed for several hundred years, as there is old placer activity all around the area and they didn't find this one. 

It kind of reminds me of a small operation back in the 90's around Quartzsite, AZ.  A small group of guys were working a gulch with a large excavator and running the material through a crude trommel.  They were using VLF's to metal detect, mostly Fisher Gold Bug's.  They ended up hitting an old channel deep within an old bench and uncovered a handful of huge gold nuggets on bedrock, one being 26 ounces solid. 

• Like 3

I can relate to this. I have found nugs thrown up high, in fast shoots and out side bends. AZ washes run a lot different than regular running steams.   Just have to detect ever where.

Tom H. 

• Like 1