What is the latest best coil for a gpx 4500

• Admin

Hey Mhlak,

Are you referring to the Coiltek Elite 11x17 Mono searchcoil?  The Elite series by Coiltek and Evolution series by Nuggetfinder are the newest Mono searchcoils and you will get great performance from them on the SD, GP and GPX series.  Detech also make some different coils for the Minelab Pulse Induction series that are good.  

Like Fred mention the general rule of thumb is a round gets more depth to an equivalent elliptical coil.  If you went with a 18" Round Mono or larger you would get more depth on larger gold vs.  the 11x17 in my opinion, but the 11x17 Elite is a very good coil.  

Hope this helps a bit,

• Admin

Hey Mhlak,

The Wallaby was a very popular coil, especially for the Alaska gold hunters.  That coil is now discontinued, so Yes the new Coiltek Elite's and Nugget Finder EVO's would give you the best performance now.  We stock and sell all of them, so you can see them on my online store or Ebay.  

I too am in the "Coil" conundrum :)

I can't decide which brand coil to get Nugget Finder or Coiltek. 

After much research i'm convinced the Elite or EVO are better than the commander coils. But which brand...

I read on the internet Coiltek is Minelab's supplier of coils for most machines. I'm not sure about that though.

I also read a user with a Coiltek saying when bumping it, it makes a false sound ?

I don't like elliptical coils i like round ones. So the EVO 12 looks to big, even a 11" looks to big for me. I like small coils. So maybe the Coiltek 9" Elite would be my coil but it seems to have "Bump" problems ?

I just got the Coiltek elite 11 inch mono, and i used just this past Saturday.   When i detect i am pretty much rubbing my coil across the ground and it showed no bump sensitivity.  

As for size it mainly just depends on the type of ground you are working.  If you are working wide open areas without many obstructions then a larger coils (11 inch to 14 inch) will be better due to being able to cover more ground per swing.  If you are working mainly tight bedrock canyons or areas with lots of scrub brush or trees then a smaller coil will work better.  Also remember that smaller coils will see smaller gold shallow, while larger coils generally we see bigger gold deeper.  So the depth of overburden in your area comes into play on which coil you should use as well.  Most detectoriest end up with a large selection of coil to cover varying types of terrain.  

Why dont you like elliptical coils, they are great for being able to snake into tight areas that a round coil wont fit while still having great coverage per swing.  

Hope this helps some.  

There is no perfect coil....you need a small, medium and and large. But most important you need ground with gold in it...go for the 11" Mono Commander. I had the Evo and Elite all good coils, but that 11" mono will serve you well...it gets the tiny small ones and punches deep. And it's affordable.. As far as a medium coil, I would chose the  Round 15" Nuggetfinder Evo for the bigger deeper ones and it's also a coil you could swing all day...and sensitive to small little flakes and nuggets. We could talk coils all day, but you also need to concentrate on your swing speed and proper settings for the ground you work.

• Like 1

Thanks AuWanderer. I was thinking about getting a 11" commander but i saw this video and it scared me lol.

As far as i can tell he should've had it set to Sens Extra?

Edited by garikfox

Garikfox,

I get your concern , but...my experience with a Minelab 4500 in the field on undug targets would make his test irrelevant considering the various size nuggets and shapes I have found.  I am sure the ATX is a fine machine...but you are limited on coils you can use...and overall you have more options with a Minelab. The nuggets he tested I can 100% guarantee I could have found them with the 4500 just depends on the coil used and settings....I hunt with Mono coils...and I also cover the same ground multitudes of times with various size coils and I do that many, many times over the same ground. For the money...I think the Minelab 4500...and perhaps 3 coils will do the job for most targets and depth. After that it's just a matter of learning how to use it...in various ground conditions, coil choice for the days hunt, and for me swing control and listening to the sounds of the detector, the ability to tell a target from sudden EMI and ground noise. Sounds complicated, but it's not....the more you hunt the more you will learn the language your detector is speaking. The majority of professional nugget hunters still use the Minelab...there is a reason for that. 

• Admin

Hey Garik,  

Over the years there has been a lot of debate on coils and aftermarket coils.  You bring up a good point, the "coils don't say Minelab on them."  Over the years some believed the Minelab coils, such as the Commanders were fine tuned better than aftermarket coils.  I'm not an expert, so I couldn't honestly say one way or another.  I have found gold with all the coils over the years.  

That being said, many aftermarket coils such as Coiltek, Nugget Finder, Detach and other make great coils and other choices and configurations that Minelab don't make.  The new coils are flat wind technology coils, so they are more sensitive and get a bit more depth than the older conventional Mono or DD coils.  These coils would include the Coiltek Elite and Nugget Finder Evolution (EVO) series.  

Hope this helps a bit,

Thanks Rob. It seems weird that Minelab doesn't make the best coils. You'd think they would be the best at it. I just don't want to hurt my GPX-5000 running a coil that Minelab didn't make. As you can tell im very OCD about things lol

With that said i went ahead and ordered a Nugget Finder 12x9 and a Detech 15″ Ultimate Spiral DD 

I should be good for life now :)