Hey Guys - Bored as Hell and can't Metal Detect Yet

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I want to Thank everyone for the wishes for my Wife.  She underwent surgery earlier this week, nothing serious and everything went well.  I took off a few weeks to watch over her, but now I'm going stir crazy.  I guess I have time to work on the website and such, but no metal detecting for a week or so.  If anyone has any suggestions on anything they would like to see on the online store, forums or anything, let me know and I might be able to work on it this weekend and before the Winter prospecting season kicks off.  

If you're bored, shoot me over an email or post something.  I know someone has some damn stories to tell, with or without pictures ..... LOL

Wishing you all the best.  The weather is starting to cool down here in Arizona, we are probably less than about a month away from beautiful prospecting and metal detecting weather.  

Hi Rob

Good to hear wife is doing well with her surgery. I believe you’re going to make it after this weather starts cooling down and like you say start detecting again.

The great thing about people we have can pull out a nugget from days past and live that find all over again.

The Best To You and Yours .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

I have been working on my house up here most every day since April (of this year); making repairs, upgrades, painting inside and out etc., etc., etc. all for the sole purpose of putting it on the market to sell.  So, due to that purpose and because of the excessive heat, I haven't been out much,...and have also  become antzeeeee and rar'n to get back out.  ...Well about a week-or-so ago we where getting some fairly good (late) monsoon rains and I saw on Accuweather  where they where slamming an area pretty hard that I wanted to explore.  I had been to the area and had found some gold, but not much as most of the exposed bedrock in the wash was pooled-up at each time I was there.  So I figured on returning to the area once the summer heat had dried up the wash.  So this late monsoon storm should have been a great time go back down there. 

...Now, I usually pride myself in being prepared for most-all situations when out in the field:  I carry two hydraulic jacks, a come-along, chains, cable, two spare tires, extra water for the radiator, extra water for me, snake gaters, an extra battery for my detector. etc., etc., etc.,etc........................But I wasn't at all prepared for what I ran into that next morning....  While making my way down a very rough road I observed that there was fresh green grass all over the hills and valleys and thought:  "Boy i'll bet these cows are just loving all this fresh green grass that had sprouted due to the monsoon rains of-late".  I finally made it down into the wash where I wanted to go.  Two washes had actually merged together, and when I got to the spot where I figured on parking my pickup I was surprised to see that all the water had been blocked or backed up (somehow), which had formed a very large pond-like-lake of still and standing water?!!??  So, that was as far as I could drive without getting stuck in the mud.  I thought I'd walk on down and take a better look at the situation, so I no more than got out of my pickup, walked about 10 ft. down the wash when I was completely covered with, and being bombarded by "hoards" of very hungry mosquito's. I had a long sleeve shirt on and it was "peppered-with" them all over.  They were all over my exposed hands, and I had to slap them off of my face, ears, and eyes.   These weren't just a few here and there buzz'n me, there where so many that I had a hard time breathing because I would suck them in when I inhaled!!!!  It was kind of like those caribou herds up in Alaska that are being attacked by the mosquito's where they are trying to get rid of them by flapping their heads and ears around, and trying to outrun them.  So,  I ran back to my pickup, got in and slammed the door,.........and about 10-20 of the persistent critters followed me in!!!!!  I took my ball cap off and was thrashing them as they tried to escape via the windows. 

When I got those in the cab of my pickup under control, I didn't want to have a completely wasted day due to these blood sucking critters, so I grabbed my detector and back pack and made a dash for the hillside (figuring that "maybe" they where just in the wash close-to the accumulated-water-pond(lake)).  The grass on the hillside was almost a foot long in spots and was very wet from the rainstorm from the night before.  As I struggled and made my way up the hillside the mosquito's were NOT getting any fewer, and the more I walked thru the wet brush and grass the worse conditions got!!!!!  Even with a small breeze they just weren't leaving.  So, (disappointed as I was) I made my way back down the hillside toward my pickup,.. thrashing and slapping my face, ears, and wildly-in-the-air;  and vowed to return "After" the first freeze hits that bug-infested area.   

I think that the last couple monsoon rains (because they came so late in the year this year) had triggered a massive mosquito-hatching (outbreak) in that area, and when they hatched, they popped-out Very Aggressive and Hungry for blood.  I just happened to become the menu-of-the-day, as I became Prey..................just something else to stick-ya, stab-ya, poke-ya, jab-ya, and scratch-ya out there,............YEEEEHAAAAAA.  Gary      

• Like 3

Hey Rob, I know how you feel i'm in the same situation, i get bored daily lol. I'm glad everything went okay with your second half.

For your website i do have some opinions on what else you can add to your store.

1. Gold Nuggets of different weights, .1, .2, .5, 1.0g, for testing metal detectors. (i had to get mine on Amazon)

IMG_0092.jpg.4d1558c358132e3a019f9e1446ee8439.jpg

2. 90deg hose hook tool(s) and probe(s). The hook tool seemed pretty hard to find, this is like the only one on Amazon. I got the hook tool because Bill uses one and it looked very handy.

hosepi.jpg.de5ae9e62de8ab847ccb7f3a1d16591d.jpggarrpr.JPG.007d4df74babd1926226cb24e24e2307.JPG

3. Maybe some different furnaces, pic below is from, Tabletop Furnace Company

furne.jpg.d94ca622a01f02f89ff005d16cd78003.jpg

4. Gold Cube(s). I think you should stock all versions. These are very cool!

gcube.jpg.77b99b136d70f8df4d562e914f2cd13f.jpg

5. And lastly I'd like to see your White's products on the website. I probably would've accidentally bought a GM24K by now :) whites.JPG.3e2208a41060ee30b775e8ac7487a4d4.JPG

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the comments and feedback. 

Grubstake - I'm sure your wife appreciates everything you do for her.  Man, I sure miss that time we all got together up that way.  I wish you were able to get out and detect for gold.  Thanks for the invite, that will be a memory Dennis and I will never forget.  Dennis from time to time will bring it up, saying they were very interesting gold areas you took us to. 

Ridge Runner - Thanks, she is doing better each day.  I'm here in the office working and stuff and hear her all the time, ROB ..... I need something.  Prospecting season is right around the corner from us here in Arizona.  I'm looking forward to some overnight campouts in the goldfields this season.  

GDM/PV - Great story about the mosquitoes.  I have to agree with you, about a month ago, our horses got all bitten up by them.  This is the worst they have ever been from mosquito bites.  I personally haven't been attacked by them like that, but I can see it happening.  

Beatup - Ya, I'll have to think about another detecting trip.  I have tons of stories from back in the day, just have to think about a good one.  In the meantime, if you or anyone else has any, post them up.  

Garikfox - I can tell you have I have some deals in the works.  You will see some changes soon on some of the stuff you mentioned.  As for the gold, I have thought about posting some smaller test nuggets on my site, just didn't know how well them would sell.  I guess I should pull about a dozen out, smaller ones that would be great test nuggets and list them.  To add to that, I recommend a very small gold nugget for testing, as you can really get your threshold adjusted to hear those faint targets.  A larger gold nugget just screams and defeats the purpose of a test nugget in my opinion.  

I agree, I need to get my White's products updated.  I've been doing a few things around the house along with some cleaning, so I need to start working on the site and getting a few things updated a bit better.  

• Like 1