Old school prospectors

DaddyD

I myself was in the mid twenties and in about a little over a month I’ll turn 80. I don’t know where I went wrong but I’m still not rich but I’d do it all over again. I’ve been swinging a detector for 55 years now.

It don’t make any difference what age you are when you start but just you did .

I haven’t been thinking about stopping and in fact I got money burning a hole in my pocket now for another detector.

The Best To You!

Chuck 

• Like 1

Ridge Runner you got a few years on me. I started out coin hunting beaches in S.Cal in the 70's. Moved up to N.Cal in 79 and started dredging gold.

In 80 started swinging gold after I moved to Az. and I have to say its been a fantastic adventure ever since.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

You guys have a lot of years on me and I always like the experience you bring to your posts. I started in 1977 dredging in the Sierra's. I spent four summers being underwater 10 hours a day six days a week. I dredged mostly in the Mariposa area but also the S. fork of the Yuba, the middle fork of the American and a few other creeks above Downieville. Then I got busy working and dredging got closed off in Ca. I picked up a detector in the early 80's but only intermittently. I had saved most of my dredging gold and my kids thought the tooth fairy brought gold nuggets when they were growing up. In the early 2000's I got into it again with Minelab PI's and am on my 7th variation, a GPZ which I love. I also underwater treasure hunted a couple of places in the Caribbean in the '90s, one in a place I can't mention and the other was on the only coral atoll in the Bahamas, Hog Stye Reef. I found some Spanish coins on a reef in the unmentionable place, that were so old the Spanish hadn't bothered to put dates on them yet. I've paid for most of my detectors with the gold I've found and used the rest for kids college.
 I've love it all. 

• Like 6

On 3/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, DaddyD said:

The important thing is the enjoyment we get and the many people we meet along the way .

I have to admit its been an amazing experience the people Ive met over the years prospecting.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AZNuggetBob

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 8:58 PM, FlakMagnet said:

I feel the same about yours. I think you, like many of us, know how lucky we have been just to have the chance
to experience some of the things we have. 

So true Flak, so true.

Bob