The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Hey Rob, I got an email you have been talking about me.

Thanks for the bump and link Rob. 

I tried to find a full freebe version I could put up here, but so far no luck on that. All the full free versions have been yanked off youtube. It is a popular movie. Make sure you watch the long version or you will miss out on some the prospecting part.

If you like the old west stuff I think your going to love it.

Take care all

AzNuggetBob

I like the simple method the prospector uses in this movie to narrow down and pipoint the source of the gold by a simple process of elimination by gravity seperation. It’s a proven time tested method.

This is my favorite method of hunting pockets with a metal detector rather than a pan..

I prefer hunting and digging on the contact zone at a point where the quartz vein intersects two types of rock ( my favorite types of rock for nugget gold are schist, granite and gneiss) and the quartz vein come together, sort of a three way street intersection. Its not hard to follow the course of a vein along a hillside or even rolling hills by the quartz float. So your not just digging or hunting along the vein, your concentrating on a specific area of the vein(s). You can follow the contact zone as it incounters or shears new quartz veins in the area forming multiple gold sources in the same area. even multiple patches in the same area along the same or even multiple faults. I prefer the larger quartz veins they seem to produce the largest nuggets but don't discount the smaller quartz veins as they produce a lot of smaller stringer gold nuggets, and lots of fines too.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, AZNuggetBob said:

I like the simple method the prospector uses in this movie to narrow down and pipoint the source of the gold by a simple process of elimination by gravity seperation. It’s a proven time tested method.

This is my favorite method of hunting pockets with a metal detector rather than a pan..

I prefer hunting and digging on the contact zone at a point where the quartz vein intersects two types of rock ( my favorite types of rock for nugget gold are schist, granite and gneiss) and the quartz vein come together, sort of a three way street intersection. Its not hard to follow the course of a vein along a hillside or even rolling hills by the quartz float. So your not just digging or hunting along the vein, your concentrating on a specific area of the vein(s). You can follow the contact zone as it incounters or shears new quartz veins in the area forming multiple gold sources in the same area. even multiple patches in the same area along the same or even multiple faults. I prefer the larger quartz veins they seem to produce the largest nuggets but don't discount the smaller quartz veins as they produce a lot of smaller stringer gold nuggets, and lots of fines too.

AzNuggetBob

post-1452-0-73841100-1340949842.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks way2cool

I think it tells a story about the old timers and how they worked many of the old desert placers. there are several patch hunting tips in the map. I'll point them out later. it is a map of one of my favorite patches. nope it's not the three pound patch. when I first found it, I hiked up and sat on the ridge and I studied it for awhile before I hunted it. somthing I have been doing for some time. there are some things you just can't see with Google earth. 

In a way you could say its sort of a placer treasure map. but it applies to many of them.

So there is no confusion please excuse the typos in the above map, here is the edited version.

AzNuggetBob

post-1452-0-73841100-1340949842 (1)NEW.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s a tricky question way2cool.

The character of the gold gives me a clue as to how far it has traveled. I dont use a single quartz vein as the perameter. In many areas there are several main quartz veins. Rich Hill is a good example. There are about four main veins at Rich Hill. and one has been traced all the way to Prescott some 60 miles away. they trend N.E. so I use the contact zones as a hunting parameter. Many gold pockets form along the contact zones.

These contact zones tend to move over time and shift. Its a great place for gold bearing solutions to travel and form pockets under the correct conditions percolating along a fault. Geothermal, hydrothermal, proper P.H. temperture etc. will cause the gold pockets to form.

point is you can have several outcrops along that line in the same general area one after the other.. I’ve found this to be true in many areas.

The box reference was to point out how some people look at a placer in general. no more stacked rocks, no more gold. ?

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AZNuggetBob
  • Like 3

Here is somthing else to keep in mind. Many creeks, washes, rivers are formed along/following contacts or faults. The reason is one is one type of rock is usually softer than the other and the two types of bedrock are shifting and the rock tends to decompose (rot) along the contact from rain and freezing over time and ablation takes over from there and slowly turns it into a wash. So if you have any quartz veins crossing the creek they may also be the source of the gold pocket that is supplying the nuggets. If you look at the bedrock on either side of the wash you are in you may notice the bedrock are two different types of rock.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, AZNuggetBob said:

Hey Rob, I got an email you have been talking about me.

Thanks for the bump and link Rob. 

I tried to find a full freebe version I could put up here, but so far no luck on that. All the full free versions have been yanked off youtube. It is a popular movie. Make sure you watch the long version or you will miss out on some the prospecting part.

If you like the old west stuff I think your going to love it.

Take care all

AzNuggetBob

This seems to be the full version, but I didn't have time to watch it all as of yet.

Edited by Gold Seeker
  • Like 1