Shootings in the Arizona Goldfields

• Admin

Hello All,

Just wanted to inform everyone here that there have been two people recently shot at in the Bradshaw Mountain range. With the price of gold bobbling from $650 - $680 people are getting trigger-happy! We personally talked with one detectorist and he stated he heard gunshots blazing over his head and heard someone yelling, "Get the Fuck off my Claims!" :angry: With the high price of gold I'm sure we are going to hear more about mineral claim shootings.

People have to realize they don't own the land on unpatented mineral claims, they just own the mineral rights. Anyone is allowed to camp, hike or drive on the mineral claims on BLM and Forest Land. However, some claim owners are going to give you the big run around and how they own all the claims in the area.

Curious if anyone else has heard or maybe even experienced one of these shooting recently?

Dunk, Crawl or Hide if you hear shots ... :blink: Really, it's not funny, someone is going to get hurt or killed over something really stupid .... GOLD. :(

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob, I would like to say that all the gold in the world isnt worth a life to me. I really try to stay away from other peoples claims out of respect, and I have my Dad check spots on his computer to see if a areas has any claims on it so I can avoid it. I tried getting gps readings and takeing them to the blm but they dont know anything, and some claims I know about dont even show. You got a idea how I can find out the places to avoid. Thanks Don

Hello All,

Just wanted to inform everyone here that there have been two people recently shot at in the Bradshaw Mountain range.  With the price of gold bobbling from $650 - $680 people are getting trigger-happy!  We personally talked with one detectorist and he stated he heard gunshots blazing over his head and heard someone yelling, "Get the Fuck off my Claims!"  :angry:  With the high price of gold I'm sure we are going to hear more about mineral claim shootings. 

People have to realize they don't own the land on unpatented mineral claims, they just own the mineral rights.  Anyone is allowed to camp, hike or drive on the mineral claims on BLM and Forest Land.  However, some claim owners are going to give you the big run around and how they own all the claims in the area. 

Curious if anyone else has heard or maybe even experienced one of these shooting recently? 

Dunk, Crawl or Hide if you hear shots ...  :blink:  Really, it's not funny, someone is going to get hurt or killed over something really stupid .... GOLD.  :(

Take care,

Rob Allison

Howdy Rob;

Now that you mention it I was in somewhat of a situation like that down on the Black Canyon about a month ago. I was detecting down in a fairly-deep ravine and had (2) of my "prospecting Dogs" with me for company and exercise. It was around nine-ish when I started swing'n, and all was going fairly smoothly, when suddenly there where 2-3 blasts from large caliber rifles right over my head. A couple of guys where on top of the ravine, and where not only shooting to the other side, but where shooting down into the ravine as well. I pulled my ear phones off and noticed a whole covie of quail flying my way, down into the ravine. My dogs where scattering and panicy,....and realizing the ramifications of the quail coming toward me I started screaming and cussing at the top of my lungs. It was like a war zone with all the shooting,...and I had nothing to fire back with. I tucked close to the bank of the wash and grabbed my dogs with me. As soon as there was a break in the shooting (probably about 5-seconds,......it acutally seamed longer) I grabbed some rocks and started chucking them up the hillside while screaming and cussing as loud as I could. Apparantly they finally heard me, stopped shooting, and scedadled out of there,....porbably chasing those damed quail. I'm so sick-an-tired of detecting and picking-up "Fucking Lead" when I'm out there from every Son-of-A-Bitch who feels the need to go out and shoot at anything that moves, does not move, or that can be misconstrued as a target,....and now to be almost shot for being in the same path as a covie of "flying-scared" quail just gualled-me to no end...............But I survived it, and am still digging that shitt'n-lead instead of Gold, and with any luck I'll find me a little patch some day so I can "dink-around" too, and not have to "duck"................Gary

Hello All

Where I go, the USFS Law Enforcement will not go, they are affraid!

I seen them there once in 9 years!

My wife and I both carry and last year she had to chase off two truckloads of thugs who were on their way down the hill toward me while I was Dredging.

This is why I carry a Concealled Weapon, to protect myself and my family.

There are people out there who would love to relieve you of your gold, not to mention a $3,500.00 machine to look for more gold!

If someone took my machine, it would be a cold day in hell before my wife would let me get another one.

I think things are going to get alot worse.

As soon as the snow breaks, I'm going camping and working the crap out of my area before someone else gets to it when I'm not there!

Be safe out there, take a buddy with you!

• Admin

Hello Guys,

The area where I heard there was a few shootings was around the Bumble Bee/Cleator area. I talked personally to one guy that got shot at, and heard of a couple of others ones just recently. I'm not sure if it's the same person, or just hunters and a few nuts out there.

I also heard that someone was running people off the Roadrunner Claims over near the Powerlines off the Bumble Bee Rd. I guess it was some old hermit that claimed since his family once lived there he owned the land and mineral rights. These are the ones I worry about.

When I used to own mineral claims, I allowed others (small numbers) to come and prospect my claims. Most of the nugget gold was gone, but there was some good dredging, panning and high-banking. It would take a thousand people to work the claims I had, so why not allow some others to enjoy the fun.

With the price of gold at a high, people will go claim anything to claim the rights of the land or minerals.

Carrying a firearm is nice, but I would hate to use it unless I really had to. The only time I'm going to pull a gun is when my life is theatened and at that point I'm going to pull the trigger and unload the clip. Pulling a gun in the goldfields is no joking matter, someone is going to get hurt over a little gold.

Over all the years and the gold (pounds ...) I have found during that time, it's not even worth thinking about pull a gun. However, some are willing to pull a gun over just a few small flakes and fines. :(

P.S. There are also a lot of un-educated hunters in the field anymore. They just shoot at anything that moves, and for the prospectors that love that camo clothing, that just scary ....

Hope to hear more views on this,

Rob Allison

When I was over in the area where the power lines are near the Road Runner claims. Section 7. I saw three PVC pipe markers in the ground. I walked up to one of the stakes and it looked recent. The dirt around the pipe wasn't compacted and looked fresh! The disturbed dirt looked darker than the surronding topsoil. But my being from the coastal plains of southeast Texas and not high desert it could also be years old. That was on Good Friday! I had driven up to the top of the ridge to the west and saw the 3 PVC pipes running in a east to west direction. Perhaps some one has staked a claim not realizing that there are existing claims already in the area!

Did the people who were shot at report the shootings to the BLM and the county sherriff's office?

Sounds like the days of the old west...................doesn't it? I can understand some one being pissed, but asking people to leave the claim doesn't hurt anyone. I've seen shot people......some lived and some didn't! It ain't pretty either way! And Dead is Dead regardless of whether it was justified or not!

I like nice bright yellow shirts. They are great for being seen. Use them when I travel on my BMW motorcycle. It helps. That bike is a very light silvery grey color and it blends in something terrible. But those yellow shirts, while they aren't stylish help me to be visible!

Karl

As someone that has been in a shooting deal a few years ago, I can tell you for sure even if you are right, its going to be costly, I was booked and was thought to be the gilty one, until I could prove other wise. Cost me money and time, a weekend in jail. If it happen on Friday or the weekend, you are going to jail for at least 3 days, until the arrainment, I can tell you that much. Yes I shot someone, they were druggies, that drove a hundred miles to break in my house, I was home so was my wife. I was fighting with one of the three, tring to keep them from coming into my 18 ft 5th wheel, no ph. for 18 miles, no way to contact the sheriff. I shot one, they ran, and broke into a house on the way out, Long story made short, one had a warant out on him for 10,000 for ausalting a peace officer, the others had 20 AKA's and all were on drugs. They shot at my trailer with a stolden sawed off 12 Ga. shotgun. I'm free there all injail or were. But the piont is The hassel you go through. I would do it all over again, Someone pulls a gun one me, they better shoot fast, or there going to be dead. Grubstake

Grubstake,

Are you saying it would have been LESS of a hassle if you had waisted(killed) those scumbags to begin with?Ya lost me on your explanation.

I've caretaked at several LIVE gold mines & millsites in Cailfornia & Nevada.There were many situations of drunken rip offs driving out to these sites in the middle of the night looking to highgrade.They would wander in on the property with guns in sight and drunk to a slur....a few times I'm sure I had surprized them because I had my sights on them before they knew anyone was around.Its usually these boneheads that get high together and run in groups that start trouble.Anyone thats out to RIP OFF should realize that they ARE messin with fire when they intentionaly snoop around posted property and start shooting thier firearms in all directions.

Some mining districts are so far removed from any law enforcement that you had better watch your back when out legaly prospecting.In my eyes the more remote you are...the more vigilant you should be.I have more respect for bears and mountain lion than two legged snakes.

BIGFOOT

What saved my butt, was that I had never been arrested before, never even had so much as a speeding ticket, never done drugs, and some of the deputy's knew me and had been around me for years. + the judge told me he would have done the same thing, only he would have killed them all. You have a right to defend yourself if your life is in danger, and at the time my wife's and mine were. They had gun's, they shot, they were on drugs, and all had extencive records. Grubstake

yeh Jade, thats a pretty good deal, if i had the extra money, I would buyit, got three hand guns now, a 45 new model ruger, that has not been shot yet, a North Amerian arms 22 mini mag, a 44 repo of a remington 1867 cap and ball. I trade a couple nugget for the 45 and bought the others at the local gun shop.Grubstake

Yeah I hate to hear about the shootings but it is bound to happen sometime with gold going through the roof ! When I was going drywashing with the oldtimer back in the early 70's out around Tucson we were well armed then but never had a problem. Times are changin for sure. Hi Karl, Hi Rob, hope you guys are doing well. I hope to be out there with you guys someday. Ok God Bless all and Karl call again soon, I really enjoyed the chat with ya.

John Tomlinson, CET

John's Detectors

Blackwell, Tx. ;)

Hi John!

How are you?

I enjoyed speaking with you also! I've been busy! Every time I think I'm getting a window to slip away for a few days soemthing comes up!

You have fun up there in Blackwell!

I'll call you later this week and we can chat some!

Regards

Karl

I had a Mohave County deputy sheriff tell me long ago not to go out into the sticks without something to defend your position. It's an ugly truth, and things can get really ugly if the other side thinks they hold all the cards.

While you're out digging, you have the meth crowd, human traffickers, mean codgers that want be be left alone, or some drunken cowboy that has it in his wormy head you are after his poke. And, to be fully prepared, you have to have a selection of lead throwers.

It'd be nice if everybody was polite and all, but they ain't. And with all the lawsuits and all, it's actually in your best interest to kill and find a suitable mineshaft to dispose of the body.

I think an armed society is a polite society, and the fact that they can see the signs that evens up the score, diffuses quite a bit of the backbiters looking for advantage.

The key is to convey the vista that you have no problem whatsoever in using a gun or in pulling the trigger.

Whether or not you are a Cold dirty harry getting down to business in other situations, you have to meet the challenge head on and without nerves.

If someone calls your bluff, stand tall and let the bullets fly.

just clean up the mess before someone shows up to ask questions

Another reason.

About 5 years ago I was conducting some Forestry work in Trinity County in Extreme Northern Calif.

I was mapping a creek near the edge of a meadow and my dog trodded off to investigate something. As I looked up, I seen 2 guys about 200', one kneeling by a pot plant and the other standing, talking to him, their backs toward me.

I yell at my dog to come back and both guys got up and ran in the direction of my truck, which was about a 20 min hike away.

I started in the oppisite direction very calm, like I didn't know what was going on, down onto an old overgrown road.

I kneeled in the overgrowth and replaced the 2 birdshot rounds in my 357 with

2 Hydra Shocks.

I looked over at my dog who was now smelling the air. I stood up and seen the same 2 guys running straight for me. I started running down the old road carrying a 40 lb forestry vest. After about 1/4 of a mile of being chaised, they were gaining on me, so I drew my 357 and fired a shot at them while running, I didn't want to kill them, just let them know I was packing and not screwing around. They Both jumped into the brush and I got clear.

There's more to the storie, but that's good for now.

The Sheriff told me that if I had not been packing that day, I would be dead.

• Admin

Hello Eodseal,

That sounded like a scary situation. The last couple of times out I haven't been packing for some odd reason. I have a Ruger 9mm with (2) 15 round clips. However, I don't like how the gun hangs on my side. Its kind of bulky and pulls my pants down even with a good belt. I'm looking for something lightweight, easy to pack, but has some power behind it.

I used to really a small .22 Auto Ruger I carried a long time ago. I know it's not a powerhouse type gun, but it was small and very lightweight. I believe it only had like 6-7 shots though.

I think it's best to have some type of protection anymore. Several years ago a group of campers were killed right around Bumble Bee if I remember correctly. You just never know who is going to roll up on you. This is one reason I really like to go out in small groups, your less likely to get messed with when 2-3 guys are armed vs. one guy unarmed.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob

I carry a S&W 357 Airlight, weighs 12oz, with a Criomson Laser, everywhere I go. It has great firepower and I usually carry it in a fanny pack. It will shoot through an engine block and either use the Hydra Shock or

Corbon 200 grain Semi Wadcutters.

While way out, I also carry a S&W 357 Stainless with 4" barrel. I don't like shooting the birdshot through the Airlight.

ALan

Hey Eodseal,

I too carry the S&W airlight 357 with either corbon or Hydra shock in it. I have the mountain light model wich holds 7 instead of 6 rounds, backed by 2 speed loaders I am good to go. Those guns are very light and very durable I would recomend them to anyone who likes to carry a revolver.

Happy Shooting I mean hunting,

MrSandsman

I have been shot at 2 times and been to court once over gold :angry: I thought this was suposed to be a fun hobbie :unsure:

I would rather be judged by a jury of my peers than being six feet under!

Here in Houston, you can get shot driving in traffic during rush hour or late at night!

As to caliber of hand gun, well I like the big calibers! .45 and above in Colt and .40 Sig Sauer manufacture. In revolvers Smith and Wesson and Dan Wesson both .357 mag and large frames! I like the feel of em! I'm better with the revolver. Average with the semi's, just don't shoot them enough. Cost of ammo used to be an issue, but not anymore, I have a Dillon 550 press. As my dear old daddy used to say about the .45! Karl he said, "The .45 was made to be thrown down into a bucket of concrete and still work! It isn't as accurate as other pistols after 50 feet +, but you don't have to be cause if you hit any part of a man's body with a 220 grain or larger 45 cal you are going to knock him down on his ass! The energy in a .45 cal bullet slowly move at you at 900 ft/sec is like being hit by a bull dozer! Smaller cal bullets, unless they are magnum loads, don't have the shock power of the 45.

The .40 is a close second on a non mag round! .50 cal even better, but you have to have strong hands for the .50. 9mm's are good, but won't always knock the guy down! And someone hopped up on drugs might not even feel it and keep on coming! Not to say that you can't kill some one with the smaller cal guns. Why shoot somone with a gun that won't keep them from being able to shoot back! And his final words on the subject. Make certain they are dead. Only need one person to write history! The winner!" Only need one person left alive to tell the story........if one needs to be told at all!

There are a lot of bad people out there! They don't play by rules! And they aren't going to yell at you before they act!

Ya'll be safe out there ya here!

regards

Karl

Glad all you shooters are down there in AZ. I'm going to get me an orange vest for my trip to Alaska. Please dont shoot any bright orange bears, OK? The orange bears are decent folks.

You are right Chris. I would rather take my chances with bears of any color (especially orange), at least they don't carry guns, Bob(AK)

Guest keninla
Hey Rob

I carry a S&W 357 Airlight, weighs 12oz, with a Criomson Laser, everywhere I go. It has great firepower and I usually carry it in a fanny pack. It will shoot through an engine block and either use the Hydra Shock or

Corbon 200 grain Semi Wadcutters.

While way out, I also carry a S&W 357 Stainless with 4" barrel. I don't like shooting the birdshot through the Airlight.

ALan

A 357 round will NOT shoot through an engine block. (At least 2 feet of steel.) I wish misinformation like this would not be propagated.