Hydation Back Pack. Which do you like the best?

Ok All I just can't stop asking question as the Newby on the block.

I'm looking ahead for a hydration and storage backpack.

What do you like the best?

So far I'm looking at

Camelbak Viper (smallest)

Camelbak Ambush (Medium size)

Camelbak Mule (Largest of the 3)

I will keep a few items in the storage but not a lot.

I may put my Pocket Rocket in one of the storage compartments is the most important thing.

Hope to hear from you... Spring is just around the corner. :D

Iggy

Iggy,

It's a matter of preference, don't you think?

Many people have different requirements for a pack

and based on the differencs will have favorites.

Get one that works for you. Hydration is an important aspect,

true, but there are others. Some who hunt in colder climes will

want a larger pack to hold a jacket, etc.

For me a padded waistbelt is important...

it goes on and on.

Just get one that is comfortable and works for you.

Have fun.

Flak

Iggy,

It's a matter of preference, don't you think?

Many people have different requirements for a pack

and based on the differencs will have favorites.

Get one that works for you. Hydration is an important aspect,

true, but there are others. Some who hunt in colder climes will

want a larger pack to hold a jacket, etc.

For me a padded waistbelt is important...

it goes on and on.

Just get one that is comfortable and works for you.

Have fun.

Flak

Thanks Flak

You are absolutly right.

My purpose is desert climate and don't need a lot of storage.

Water is #1 purpose and storage 2nd.

Weight is 3rd

These packs weigh under 2 lbs empty so I expect 8lbs (if filled to full) of water 2 lbs stuff so thats 12 lbs.

I think I will not fill the water all the way becasue I won't be far from the car so I will keep weight under 10 lbs would be good for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Iggy

• Admin

Hello John,

Great question since I've tried just about everything over the years with the Minelab PI's. With the new Coiltek Pocket Rocket System you can place it just about anywhere! I prefer to have it attached to the side of the detector with the use of the "Coiltek Short Power Cord." You actually got this small cord with your recent purchase. You now have the option to carry the system in the backpack (using a normal cord), wear it on your belt (with the included pouch) or mount the system on the side of the detector. I've tried all of them, but prefer the side of the detector best.

As for backpacks, I use the Camelbak Mule. I like bigger one because I can carry more gear, more food, more liquids and even a smaller coil if I want. Some of the stuff I carry in the "Mule" are:

Backup Minelab Handle

Back Power Cord

Spare Battery (if using the Coiltek Li-Ion System)

Coiltek Joey Mono Searchcoil (for pinpointing and working certain areas of interests)

Leather Gloves

Plenty of Water/Snacks (for longer trips or hikes)

GPS Unit

Leatherman Tool

and other goodies .... :D

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hello John,

Great question since I've tried just about everything over the years with the Minelab PI's. With the new Coiltek Pocket Rocket System you can place it just about anywhere! I prefer to have it attached to the side of the detector with the use of the "Coiltek Short Power Cord." You actually got this small cord with your recent purchase. You now have the option to carry the system in the backpack (using a normal cord), wear it on your belt (with the included pouch) or mount the system on the side of the detector. I've tried all of them, but prefer the side of the detector best.

As for backpacks, I use the Camelbak Mule. I like bigger one because I can carry more gear, more food, more liquids and even a smaller coil if I want. Some of the stuff I carry in the "Mule" are:

Backup Minelab Handle

Back Power Cord

Spare Battery (if using the Coiltek Li-Ion System)

Coiltek Joey Mono Searchcoil (for pinpointing and working certain areas of interests)

Leather Gloves

Plenty of Water/Snacks (for longer trips or hikes)

GPS Unit

Leatherman Tool

and other goodies .... :D

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

I like the Mule because of the extra storage which can come in handy.

Carbela's has the Viper on sale for $29.99 until the 17th of the month.

It doesn't have enough storage for me so I think I will pass on that one.

I also checked out the Ambush which its between the two.

same water amount but only 180 cu. inches of space which may work but the Mule still seems the way I want to go.

Thanks and see you soon.

Iggy

I use the high Seirra, outside frame, room for extra headphons, cords, I have a 72 oz hydration bladder in it, all my servival gear, mag, and flint fire starter, 2 pocket knives, 22 mag ammo, space blanket and power bars. and still have room for more. Bought it on sale at big 5 last year for 20.00 and it came with the water bladder. paddee belt and sholder straps. has a cross strap also and D rings on both shoulder straps. Look around, this time of year is when to buy, camping stuff doesn't move very fast in the winter. Grubstake

I got one of those wallyworld jobbies. Works great. "Outdooor Products" is the brand I think. Holds 2 liters of water and all my "goodies", including the rock pick. Problem is the water tube DOES NOT have a shut off valve, and leaks water everywhere when I bend over or squat down and it's full. I'd recommend one with a valve...kinda obvious now I guess, but hey, I was new when I bought it. Either way, it's been a great $40 spent. Seems to tear kinda easy though, so if your looking to haul a lot of heavy stuff, might wanna find something more durable. It works for me though. I do a lot of hiking too.