If you like yourself don't start!

If you don't have a plasma cutter don't start!

If you don't have a mig welder don't start!

If you don't have a big grinder don't start!

If you value your time higher than 10 cents a hour don't start!

Well after all of this I did set out to make one like some you Dealers sale. I have a stick welder a chop saw and a small grinder.

I told myself this is easy to make and it would be if I had all the above equipment on the if lines. I'm just about half way being finish with it but have to find a handle to fit.I think its going to be so ugly I'll have to put a sack over it to take it out. The only thing is I always over build and I may not be able to carry it.

Do yourself a favor and buy one and you will like yourself for doing so.

This class is over and this shows you can learn alot by others stupidity(The quality or state of being stupid).

Chuck Anders

I have used a chop saw with a fiber blade to cut the pieces to hold the handle in and also shaping

the point and you don't have to grind on them as you get a pretty smooth cut

now if you like grinding you could use a big fat 6010 rod and turn the heat up and cut the point and pieces then grind them smooth :lol:

Ya got that right about the plasma cutter. My friend has a hand held unit and the cuts are as good as your hand. Another friend who is a machinist in NV has a computer guided plasma and a water jet cutter. Those are way cool! Talk about straight smooth cuts...like cutting butter with a hot knife!

kamikaze

I just received info and DVD on a computer guided plasma cutter my son is thinking about buying.It can run about 8 to 10 thousand and the plasma cutter is extra.

I have a torch but my son has it and my table grinder went with him when he got a job as a fireman in another city.

I'm just glad he's not into nugget hunting because I'd like to keep my detector. :D

Chuck A.

I made a bunch of them with a grinder and a small flux core wire welder and they worked great but looked like crap. I invested in a mig and plasma cutter and they work great and look a little better. Mig is the way to go and for cut out a plasma would be hard to beat because for around $1200.00 it won't take as long to pay for as a water jet or laser. I have built a bunch now like 200 or so and for what I get for them it is a wash. I will keep building them though because I like being connected to all the people out there using them and we have shipped them to most of the U.S., Canada and Spain now. I have learned a lot about how to make them faster, stronger, cheaper and hopefully better. I had to learn about the patent process and had to get that going because of the imitations that were on the verge of popping up hopefully that was stopped. There is nothing sacred. People will steel you ideas, gold, money, the shirt off your back.

I am anxious to see your finished pick and I am sure it can't look any worse than some of my olf prototypes that are still around.

-Joe

Hey Joe...I got one of your picks from Bill over on Nuggetshooter.com and I put it to the test today...Dug half a dozen about 5 30" holes in short order...All had nails or rusty bits at the bottom, but your pick made quick and easy work...These deep targets were in a wash where I've found a number of 1/4 Oz. to 1/2 Oz. nuggets...Today I was using my 14" Nuggetfinder E Mono on my SD2100...Killer combo....One thing, I'm going to transfer my old fiberglass handle over from my wore out walco pick to your Hermit pick ... Wood handles just don't work for me in the desert...I was very pleased at how fast I could dig the deep ones...I highly recommend your pick...Great design, good materials of construction and fine welding work...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

Thanks Uncle Ron,

I intended to make that pick strong enough to go through a handle or two. I have made some with a fiberglass handle and I like the wood better. The fiberglass handles on other things sure last longer than wood so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for a pick. I was proud to hear it when Bill told me he sent you one. Can't wait to see some pics of the gold you dig up with it. It is kind of like being there for me.

-Joe

post-665-1175232511_thumb.jpg

Joe, one thing, I've got a few areas where there's deep trash and deep gold...mostly trash, but every now and then you pop a half ouncer that sounds just like a tobacco tin...Thing is, digging the targets in this wash is a pain in the but...But I'm glad to say, your pick cuts right through the stuff...I can get a 3' hole in just a few minuts...Good job...Cheers, Unc

Hi Joe

This is the second time I started this being the first I got a lightning hit and the power went off.

I know one thing is you don't have to worry about me putting you out of business. I started this pick making because I was about to climb the walls for like of something to do.

I've seen your picks and I think you have the best looking one that will do the job well.When I get back out to AZ. I'll stop by Bill's store to buy one. This way I can go out in the day time to hunt but until then I'll keep working on mine.

After working on this one I don't see how you sell them at the price you do.

The only good thing about mine is it may be so heavy it will dig the first foot just by dropping it on the ground. :blink:

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hello Joe,

I still have one of the originals you made during the first run. Bill Southern gave me it a long time ago. I used it a few times, but partial to the smaller Walco 20-incher. I think your pick is a mean digger and sounds like you have sold hundreds of them. Congrats on building a very useable prospecting pick.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Here is my latest pick sitting next to the old beater I use all the time. Its made of a 2 Ton truck leaf spring end with box mild steel shank stick welded on with 7018. One of the the things I like about useing a leaf spring is that they taper flat on the end and makes it easy to keep sharp and they flex without bending or breaking. Notice there is no side pin. The head is secured with a lagg bolt from the top. I found in the past that this helped keep from splitting the handle when I'm useing it to move boulders. The handle is cut down Hickery wood mattox replacment handle availible at most lumber yards. A lot of work, worth it, NO!!! :lol: You must like doin this sort of thing and have the tools.

Thanks Rob,

I remember when Bill gave it to you and I am glad he did. Picks are like coils in that everybody has a favorite. I really like Doc's picks and coils. I am just one of those that said I will build my own pick and did because I can not because there was any thing wrong with what is available. Who knew it would turn into what it has turned into? Not me.

-Joe

AzNuggetBob

I started to make my pick out of truck leak spring but I'd had to go to the junk yard to get it.I like the way you made yours it look real clean and can do the job well. My friend next door had the plate steel at 3/16 in thick and it was free.

I never look a gift horse in the mouth and I also got the handle today at Lowe's plus the guy gave me some black pipe for handle to go in.

I will try to post this master something when its complete.

Chuck Anders