Hey Joe...Your pick has been good luck for me...Taken it out 3 times and found gold twice...Friday a dink on one of the Rich Hill 24K pushes and Saturday a nice 5.4 gram speci at LSD down about 13", including 3" of bedrock...Your pick made recovering the speci an easy task that otherwise would have been hard and I was able to bust down into the bedrock to recover it...Here's some pix...Cheers, Unc

AzNuggetBob,

Those pictures you posted of your pick are great. You got talent, nice fluid lines, awsume. wink.gif -----wonderer

Hi Wonderer Thanks for the complement, I should tell you that Im not new to metal working I've been a jeweler for years and I make custom bowie knives in my spare time. I included a picture of one Im working on right now, The case is not finished as you can probably see, I still need to put it together with big solid copper harness rivets around the edge. The squiggle lines on the blade is because it is damascus steel, two types of steel joined together in a forge. The handle is Elk horn with desert Ironwood . The guard is hand filed nickel silver. and yes that is a 12" ruler. blink.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif AzNuggetBob

Hey Joe...Your pick has been good luck for me...Taken it out 3 times and found gold twice...Friday a dink on one of the Rich Hill 24K pushes and Saturday a nice 5.4 gram speci at LSD down about 13", including 3" of bedrock...Your pick made recovering the speci an easy task that otherwise would have been hard and I was able to bust down into the bedrock to recover it...Here's some pix...Cheers, Unc

That ain't the first time I have heard that. I have a buddy of mine that carried around one of the prototypes and he wouldn't let me give him one of the production picks didn't want to mess up his luck. Well he finally let me trade him out of that prototype (gawd that pick was ugly) and he is sporting one of the production picks. He has made some nice finds while using the new pick too.

Well Uncle Ron I hope that it brings you lots more gold. Luck, skill, whatever it is I hope it fills your poke.

-Joe

Hi Wonderer Thanks for the complement, I should tell you that Im not new to metal working I've been a jeweler for years and I make custom bowie knives in my spare time. I included a picture of one Im working on right now, The case is not finished as you can probably see, I still need to put it together with big solid copper harness rivets around the edge. The squiggle lines on the blade is because it is damascus steel, two types of steel joined together in a forge. The handle is Elk horn with desert Ironwood . The guard is hand filed nickel silver. and yes that is a 12" ruler. :blink::D;) AzNuggetBob

I will trade you a pick or picks for a knife if you are interested.

-Joe

AzNuggetBob,

Boy you must get a mint for those knifes. Looks great. Jeweler awe, it shows :) .

In the past I made a few atempts at knive making, could'nt get the proportions right. Nice side hobby when you can't get out.

If you don't mind me asking where do you get your steel knife blanks (make them your-self ---- made to order ----or stock blanks)-------------wonderer

Hi Wonderer, All of the above is I guess the best answer to your question. You can buy It in bar stock and shape your self or buy in semi-shaped and finnish. The semi- shaped run about $ 150.00 and up.I included a photo from one of my suppliers, as you can see the pattern of damascus is almost endless.These bars sell for about $20.00 per inch. The pattern depends on how the metal is rolled and pressed when forged. you cant see the pattern when polished. it must be brought out with an acid etch. The knife I pictured is the only one I ever made with stag. I usually use Ironwood Burl wood, Its very rare and expensive. Its very unique, Its so dense and solid it does not even float in water. I included a photo of some of the blocks and scales I normally use.These sell for about $60.00 and up for nice ones. I'm currently working on five different knives.

Oh by the way there is no finnish on the blocks and scales in the photo,there just sanded and buffed. Amazing wood.

Joe, I appreciate your offer but Im not really looking for a new pick at the moment, but I will say your picks gave me some new ideas. Thanks. AzNuggetbob

You know what Joe by that hand cannon you got I'd say you probably have a couple knives layin around. The only problem with knives is no matter how nice a knife you have, it just seems like you keep seein new ones you like better. :D AzNuggetBob

Joe If your thinking about building your own, just shop around on the net. Im not going to promo any one site. I learned a bunch of different knife making techniques from these sites. Many have tutorials on different method's from start to finnish. These little secrets make it easy. Gonna make knife building junkie out of ya though. :lol: Take care AzNuggetBob

I am in San Diego and had a good thing going when Buck was making knives in El Cajon. They are in Idaho now and I haven't been adding to my stash like I used to. I still don't own a Damascus knife. I have some really interesting knives that are one of a kind prototypes or limited production. Guns, knives, fishing, hunting, gold prospecting it all goes together.

-Joe

I gota tell ya Joe Im a die-hard Buck fan from way back. The quality of their steel is legendary. Their knives are hard to put an edge on but once you have it you can shave with it for a long time. And I agree it all goes together,Guns, knives, fishing, hunting, gold prospecting. Just like the good ole days. ;) AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I personally seen some of AZNuggetBob's knives and they are top notch! He does great metal work, but the leather work is awesome.

Bob, Dennis and I found several smaller nuggets in a new spots today. Man, it was freaking hot though ....

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison'

Somebody please help me! the pictures are in my document just what do I have to do to post a picture?I also have then on the program that came with my camera.

When I click to add it comes in ahead of what I've written as this-attachmentid=2432. I just learn to rotate the pictures so you can see I need help BAD.

Chuck Anders