Moore Creek 1st Week Totals

Hi,

My father just returned from Moore Creek with the following report. 47 nuggets found weighing a total of 18.48 oz. But a whole lot of that was in a 6.63 oz nugget found by Paul from Bethel. Way to go Paul!

It is getting pretty predictable. People who have over 100 hours of detecting experience and who detect regularly have a HUGE edge. They generally find gold daily. Those who are new to detecting or who only do it a couple times a year are lucky to find any nuggets in a week. In general the early weeks do well as they have the most experienced detectorists with results dropping off later as you get more and more novices.

Hopefully we will see some photos soon. I'm headed back to the mine Friday and will not be back until the 25th.

Steve Herschbach

http://www.moorecreek.com

Hi Jim,

He had found nothing when I left. Hopefully he came up with something the last couple days. I'm certainly rooting for him. Unfortunately he gets very little chance to nugget hunt and so his skill set gets rusty in between. I'm convinced these days running a detector is like knowing a musical instrument. If you are not at it all the time you lose the edge and it takes time to get it back.

Rumor is that Paul found the nugget upstream of camp in the cut behind the old dragline! I've not known anyone to find a nugget back there before. But then again I found a .85 oz nugget not ten feet from the cabin wall eveyone had missed. The ground is far from hammered yet.

Steve H

Hi Jim Gaine had banged out a small specie the morning we left, not sure where as we left and I did not get a chance to talk with him.. He was out hunting hard but I didn't leave the camp area so I don't really know where he had been....HH...Geo

Thanks for the reply Steve and George, I'm sure as hard as Gaine hunts he will have success. I couldn't agree more about getting rusty. I don't get out on a regular basis and it takes a while to get back into the zone. It sure is fun when I get there though. Later...Jim P.

• Admin

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the Moore Creek update. Sounds like some nice stuff is being found.

I would agree, I think the experienced users will have the edge at Moore Creek. There will always be a "Lucky Find," but when it comes to numbers the experienced guys always come out with more.

Glenn should be coming over soon to get the GPX-4000 for his Moore Creek venture. Wonder if Glenn can pull out another 12 ounce (Troy Pound) of nuggets from Moore Creek with the new Minelab? :huh:

Keep us updatd on anything new at Moore Creek.

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

The GPX-4000 is a killer unit. I don't care what anybody says it blows the earlier models away, at least at Moore Creek. Glenn is going to love his.

Knowing Glenn he'll only find one nugget this time - but it will probably weigh a pound!!

Backat you in a couple weeks, I'm headed out right now to the mine.

Steve H

I'm back! Had a blast, found a bit a gold and trying to catch up on the piled up work. I swear I'm going to need another week of vacation after all this catching up...

Hi Jim, wished you could have been there bro. The camp is really taking shape. The food was once again great and the desserts! WOW! The pushes and trails made hunting way easier and Keith, Chris from Jersey and I got down to about a pile or so from the end of the line. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to capitalize on the opportunity and only found one small nugget. But I was thrilled because it could have been worse and I could have got skinked. There were some real beauties found this year. Several solid or nearly all gold nuggets and even a huge 6oz+ chunk which looks to be mostly gold! On the way home, I finally got to fish Ship Creek for a few hours. I saw about five huge Kings landed but I did not even get a nibble. Well, starting my countdown until June 2008...hope you think about joining us again next year! Thanks for asking about me.

Welcome back and aloha Gaine, I wish I had been there too. Congrats on the nugget! It's one more memory you will have forever. I saw the pics that Dan Judd posted and was surprised at how much ground Steve had moved. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, we'll be looking for some pics. See you when you come to AZ. Later...Jim P.

• Admin

Hello All,

Gaine - Great to hear you found a nice piece of there. There is nothing like the Alaska outback, especially Moore Creek. I'm strongly considering going back next year if the camp is still roaring. Hopefully Steve will allow me to book a complete week and we all can go together.

Steve - Talked with Glenn tonight and he mentioned he's excited to hit the ground up there. I'm sure since he will be equiped with the GPX-4000 he's going to find gold that others have missed. Sounds like there is a lot of new spots to hunt with the new dozed trails and such.

Jim P. - Are you going to be ready for next season? You have a good year to plan and prepare! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

I'm back! Had a blast, found a bit a gold and trying to catch up on the piled up work. I swear I'm going to need another week of vacation after all this catching up...

Hi Jim, wished you could have been there bro. The camp is really taking shape. The food was once again great and the desserts! WOW! The pushes and trails made hunting way easier and Keith, Chris from Jersey and I got down to about a pile or so from the end of the line. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to capitalize on the opportunity and only found one small nugget. But I was thrilled because it could have been worse and I could have got skinked. There were some real beauties found this year. Several solid or nearly all gold nuggets and even a huge 6oz+ chunk which looks to be mostly gold! On the way home, I finally got to fish Ship Creek for a few hours. I saw about five huge Kings landed but I did not even get a nibble. Well, starting my countdown until June 2008...hope you think about joining us again next year! Thanks for asking about me.

Welcome back Gaine. Congrats on your gold find. Ship Creek is a cool place to fish for Kings. Right in town and lots of fish. I remember my first trip to Alaska for salmon about five years ago. First stop Ship Creek. When we got there I was introduced to combat fishing 101. I didn't like the crowd, so I moved up stream about 25 yard from the railroad track and started fishing. Followed what everybody was doing and on my fifth cast "Fish On" 22lb King. Well maybe next time you'll get one. Welcome back. Jeff

Hi Rob, The camps really shaping up. With the dozer working the ground, it kind of renewed the area. Still, it takes skills to find them nuggets and obviously, I lack those skills. Need to get my detector humming more often so that I can get a few more next year. Keep us posted about getting a week together!

Hey Jeff, 22 pounder?! COOL! Were you doing that unusual casting method too? I had about 4 hours of fishing before the tide came in and brought with it a high tide of fishermen too. Watched them fish the previous 2 years but it was always low tide so did not realize that they shifted gears once the river's current slacked when the tide came in. Next time I should be better prepared since I now know that I need some Roe for the high tide. Did not see one landed with a lure but the guy upstream of me had a miss on his spinner. None the less, it was a fun experience and seeing those bad boys jumping and thrashing around at the end of the other fishermen's lines was exciting!

Well still trying to catch up with all the piled up work due to being gone for over a week. I hardly have any time to catch up on reading the forum postings... Hopefully be back to mormal in another week or so..

Got 2 questions, met a heluva nice guy down in Bakersfield (northern LA, for you'all in Loma Linda), Jeff. Can't remember if he was going to Moores Creek or Gaines Creek. Justwondering how he did?

Kamikaze, I'm still trying to figure out all the verbage, so I look smart. I've been skunked, but never skinked. Is this? :rolleyes: Anyway, good on you! See you at RH in Feb. You bring the coffee, I'll bring the pot.

Shep