Mono coil versus DD coil

Hi,

My name is Carl, and I'm a newbie who's been lurking here for a while. I have recently acquired a Garrett Infinium with a mono coil and a DD coil. Can someone explain the difference between these two coils and when to use them?

I just got back from the Gold Show in Belton, Tx, and I'm rarin' to get out and find some gold. I've been to Georgia on a dredging trip last October and to AZ in December where I was able to locate several GPAA claims and a few specks of gold. I'm trying to get back out there this month. I may join the 24k club in Rich Hill if they're going to do another push in March.

I'm hoping the Infinium can find me enough gold to buy a Minelab :).

Later,

Carl

Hi,

My name is Carl, and I'm a newbie who's been lurking here for a while. I have recently acquired a Garrett Infinium with a mono coil and a DD coil. Can someone explain the difference between these two coils and when to use them?

I just got back from the Gold Show in Belton, Tx, and I'm rarin' to get out and find some gold. I've been to Georgia on a dredging trip last October and to AZ in December where I was able to locate several GPAA claims and a few specks of gold. I'm trying to get back out there this month. I may join the 24k club in Rich Hill if they're going to do another push in March.

I'm hoping the Infinium can find me enough gold to buy a Minelab :).

Later,

Carl

iamnot an expert but i dont think that infinium is gonna do the job that your wanting to do..ive never heard anyone on any forum talking about using that machine for nuggets..didnr even know they had those coil choices....but on the minelab the mono coil will go deeper than the d/d of the same size...in less mineralized ground..iam sure you will get more responses from others may be able to tell ya more...good luck

Carl

The best thing for you to do is find Steve Herschbach site in Alaska and read his review on the Infinium.I'll look for it and if I find it I'll let you know.

Chuck Anders

PS Maybe Steve will come on and talk with you about it.

Carl

I wasn't thinking go to www.akmining.com/

Chuck Anders

Hi,

Is the Infinium as good a performer as a Minelab? Nope. Can you find gold nuggets with one? I have.

Mono versus DD is pretty simple. Use a mono when you can. If you are having problems with a mono due to hot rocks/ground conditions, switch to a DD. When using a mono, overlap sweeps more carefully than with a DD.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Guys,

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I found several articles that Steve wrote that included information about the Infinium. I also found lots of great tips on how to get the most out of it.

I spent a couple weeks in Hawaii a few years ago, but unfortunately, without a detector :). I just managed to do the sightseeing thing which was fairly spectacular. I guess I'll have to find enough gold to make the trip back there.., and get a Minelab.., and maybe a new dredge.., how many nuggets will that take? :).

Thanks,

Carl

Carl... unfortunately the Garrett Infinium has gotten bad press by many

who have never used it.... Steve H. is correct in his assessment of the

Infinium... and let me just offhandedly say; under certain conditions it

could be a great choice to use... nuff said...

And... Steve if you are still reading this... Remember back when I posted

about the accessory Australian West Coils on the Garrett forum?... and the

post was deleited by someone at Garrett?... Only a few West Coils were sold...

Carl... one thing I would recommend is getting a headset adapter and using

a headset that works better for you... everyones hearing is different. I was

lucky to get one... they are not cheap due to the special Garrett connector.

jyoung... to answer... since you asked me... let me suggest you

"slow down" and keep your wallet in your pocket... Settle down

and spend the next several months in learning. Gold does

not jump up and bite you....

My best to You in your prospecting adventures... Enjoy the search,

the adventures, and the true friendships found along the way.

jyoung... to answer... since you asked me... let me suggest you

"slow down" and keep your wallet in your pocket... Settle down

and spend the next several months in learning. Gold does

not jump up and bite you....

My best to You in your prospecting adventures... Enjoy the search,

the adventures, and the true friendships found along the way.

Thanks Dutch...your right. Just so dog gone excited about my

first gold hunting adventure...a life long "one of these days" I'm

gonna........ I am 46 and feel like a kid about to go to Disney, HA!

• Admin

Hello Karl,

I think Garrett lost a lot of business when they didn't introduce a Monoloop coil when the metal detector was first released. Many of the users were not real impressed with the gold finding ability of the Garrett Infinium with the DD loop.

I've only used one for a short period of time, so I don't want to come off as an expert on one. From what most mentioned, it did awesome on the beaches and done fair nugget hunting.

I'm sure it's a great PI, you just have to spend time and learn what it can and can't do. All metal detectors, even the most expensive have limitations.

Wishing you the best,

Rob Allison