Coil Comparison

I've been trying to follow Chris's data over at AZO, information overload for my feeble brain. Can you guys translate in common terms, some of the data for me?

The new Goldstaker is roughly 18"X12" elliptical, Mono. That would compare to what size in the round coil? I fully understand the positive side of elliptical, but what/where is its power loss when compared to its equivalent round coil?

• Admin

Hello Steve,

My best guess is the new Coiltek Goldstalker Elliptical 18.5-inch would be equal to about a 15-16-inch Round. I'm hoping Coiltek comes out with a 14-16-inch Round Mono in the Goldstalker series. A 15-inch Round might be a nice coil to have.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

G'day Steve, the data on AZO is interesting but does not take into account the most important things which are the effects of mineralisation on the transmit field and the receive response from any targets in relation to that mineralisation, the plots just show how far the magnetic field travels in air on the transmit side of things not what happens with the receive.

Elliptical coils have their place especially in brushy ground but even when you do the mathematics an equivalent sized round coil (surface area wise) is still going to get better depth due to the shape over the elliptical.

I've been told that Coiltek will be releasing some new round coil sizes in the GoldStalker range in coming months (16 and 18 inch I think) so it should be interesting to do some direct comparisons in coil sizes etc, so far I have been quite impressed with the elliptical versions both in sensitivity and depth to targets and also the lack of touch sensitivity or falsing when bumped.

JP

• Admin

Hey JP,

I'm been following that thread over on AZO. Kind of interesting to see what something can do in the air, but curious how that related in the ground. Steve mentioned that both would be porportional, air and ground test.

I'm anxious to see the new Goldstalker searchcoils that are coming out. Trev @ Coiltek has really make some great progress with the "No False" lightweight Goldstalker coils. I can't get these darn coils to false, which is just amazing!

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Steve,

I think Coiltek at one point really fell off the face of the Earth when they didn't want to build anything new. I told them for years the new trend was lightweight, but they didn't do anything. Finally, Trev came about and lite a fire under the owners ass! Trev got many new coils off the ground and the famous lightweight pocket rocket system. Now that Trev is owner of Coiltek, things are really starting to take off. Nuggetfinder for a long time has the edge with lightweight coils, but now Coiltek has came around with some lighter coils and won't false like all other coils once they have been banged around enough.

I think this is a great start to "just the beginning" of what Trev has in store for us. I can't wait to see the new stuff coming out soon.

Take care,

Rob Allison

"Any ideas how this can be corrected?"

Hi Don,

Make a frisbee out of it?

(Sorry...),

I have read - I can't for the life of me remember where - that there are

ways to help this problem.

Perhaps some of the more knowledegable and detail-retentive among us

will step up to help.

It would be good knowledge to have.

After all the coil technology that has gone on over these last years

this is something that should never come up for customers.

All the best,

Flak