Can any of you fellers give me information about what you have to do to be legal if you are from out of state and use a quad there in AZ. I want to get one to reduce the wear and tear on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. It well go nearly anywhere but it's rough on tires. I know quads are supposed to be licenced in AZ but didn't know about being from out of state. Thanks Rob and I hope to meet you one of these days. Slim.

• Admin

Hello Slim,

It all depends on where you're riding your quad. Some roads require licensed, street legal vehicles, while other roads don't. I believe all roads that require licensed vehicles that are back country have to be marked. You must have a licensed, street legal ATV if you're going to drive any type of backtop roads.

Another solution is not to get caught, if you do, haul ASS!!! :girl:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Thanks for the quick reply Rob. I havn't checked the laws here in TX but don't believe you can drive on streets or highways at all. I don't know if you need tags or not. Not many places to ride here as there is very little state land. My old Dodge has a lot of ground clearance but rides like a logging truck and those AZ rocks are hell on tires. My 5th wheel is short enough that I can legally pull a trailer with the quad on it. I did see that riding early on cold days is a little rough. I stayed in Stanton last winter for 3 months but thought that I might try some in other areas as well this winter. A lot depends on my Mom's health as she turned 99 yr. old in July. I will be back out there if I can. Had a lot of fun and met some great folks. Thanks a lot, Slim

I'm wondering do you have to purchase an Arizona off road vehicle sticker if your from out of state. Here in california you have to purchase a OHV sticker for quads and dirt bikes, its good for two years. I was surprised to find out that when a friend came over here from Nevada he had to purchase a California OHV sticker for his quad to be legal here. I was always under the assumption that if you were license and taged for your resident state you didn't have to buy OHV tags for other states.

Wes

Hi Slim

You are correct about the law in TX about riding ATV on any public road and also on the side of the road that is public right of way.My oldest son in Seguin TX said a guy got this dune buggy the kind you see in some sporting goods store street legal and now runs all over town with it.

Chuck

Wes, I'm in WA state. Will be in N. CA first part of September. My buddy and I were wondering what the CA laws are for riding ATV's. I've found on the internet that as long as we are licensed in WA, that's all we need in CA.

What I can't find though are restrictions on where you can ride. Is CA pretty much open, except for blacktop? Here in WA the only place we can ride is in designated OHV parks. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Here you have to be sure you stay off the black top, most OHV roads are well marked, mostly only the roads that say NO OHV are off limits. But they are well marked, as primitive areas or other wise off limits to OHV's. Grubstake

Helmet are mandatory on BLM or GOV. land also.

Steve

Grubstake is right. The dirt roads/trails that you cannot ride on are marked with trail signs showing what can be used on them. As far as I know most if not all forest service dirt roads are open to quads but as Grub said wear a helmet because they will write you if they catch you riding without. Its the old liabilty thing, they get sued for someone elses stupidity. I didn't pay any attention if my friend had a sticker for Nevada or not, maybe thats why he needed a Cal sticker, but it wouldn't surprize me if this state trys to stick it to out of state folks.

Wes

So far, Calif. has reconised out of state stickers, for now anyway. But the way Calf. is if they relise it can be new revenue, it may change. But for now on Boats and OHV's they leave you alone if your resgistered in another state. Grubstake

Gary and Wes.

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. We decided to not take the ATV's this time and make it strickley a prospecting trip. Yes we always wear our helmets. We forgot them once, neither one of us felt comfortable riding that day.

Have a good one.

Steve

Can any of you fellers give me information about what you have to do to be legal if you are from out of state and use a quad there in AZ. I want to get one to reduce the wear and tear on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. It well go nearly anywhere but it's rough on tires. I know quads are supposed to be licenced in AZ but didn't know about being from out of state. Thanks Rob and I hope to meet you one of these days. Slim.

My understanding when I bought my ATV (late 2007) was that your vehicle had to be registered (just like car) to legally be on U.S. Forrestry Service forrest roads.

I appreciate all the information from everyone and you CA fellers too as I may be up that way sometime to visit inlaws. I checked the website but didn't find anything about out of state vehicles. I'll probably just check with MVD in AZ when I come into AZ. Sure miss detecting and hope to get out that way this fall.

Slim.

Guest Mike C...

I road my atv's and dirt bikes for years with out any trouble--just last year when I traded some gold for a atv I did get a plate for it and the MVD said it was good for as long as I own the atv-one time fee for dirt roads only ;) -Mike C... :ph34r:

Slim

I do a lot of MDing in the hills in northern Arizona around Laughlin and Bullhead City. I find that traveling long distances

on a quad a little uncomfortable with all my gear so I travel in my desert buggy. I can carry everything I need and it is street legal. AZ